Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > poor person computer

poor person computer
horrorbiz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2003, 01:49 AM

ok..so the poor college kid needs some advice.
I know that new powermacs are coming, 970s and all.. but again i am a poor college kid.
So I have narrowed it down for you.

-<sawtooth> that I will upgrade the processor in (which includes the possibility of the core crib: so there is no need to turn this into a core crib post.. because then it will just get out of control.)

-<digital audio> 466? or 533? whichever I can afford

-<dual 450 or 500>

THANK YOU

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2003, 11:34 AM

I would start with what you want to do with your machine: simple email, internet and word processing or Graphics and design. That's always a good place to start. Then base your decision on what needs to be on that machine to accomplish it and price it accordingly. I would say check at your school to see if there are any packages they provide, but based on what I saw you won't save much.

I think the machines you are looking at all have AGP graphics, which is good since you'll need it for Jaguar and beyond.

But sometimes getting more than you need now is better than getting something lower that you'll need to fix soon. You can wait until the 970s are released and see what that does for the prices. If you don't have a lot of money to spare (or the tech expertise) maybe you should be looking at a Apple solution. These other solutions may require to install other things to get it to the point to do your work effienciently. I bought my first computer retail when I was in college (an Amiga 2000--I loved that old machine ). And it worked for my well for my school work; if anything went wrong there was an Amiga dealership in town I could take it to--no fuss no muss). Maybe you should do the same thing, so it will be one less thing to worry about...

Terrance

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2003, 12:49 PM

well, what i would do is join ADC student for 100 dollars (youll get FREE software updates (panther...) and dev tools every month.

but best of all, once in your life you can get a mac for super cheap.

check it out: developer.apple.com
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

-Q-
Jun 6, 2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by DBvader:
well, what i would do is join ADC student for 100 dollars (youll get FREE software updates (panther...) and dev tools every month.

but best of all, once in your life you can get a mac for super cheap.

check it out: developer.apple.com
But only plan on doing this if you're actually considering being a software developer. Too many people sign up for this and Apple may pull the plug on the student developer program.

But yes, please let us know what you're planning on using it for. It'll be easier to provide a recommendation.

As it stands, without knowing any details, I'd recommend one of the duals as that has a good chance of lasting you a decent amount of time (maybe through most of your schooling).

Forum Links
Forum Rules