Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > ibook with airport plus emac without.. HELP

ibook with airport plus emac without.. HELP
horrorbiz
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 04:07 PM

At my house I have dsl running through a pc with a wireless router hooked up to it. My ibook has an airport card and I have no problem connecting to the internet with it. I also have an emac that I have upgraded that I use as my main work computer, however it does not have an airport card so I cannot connect to the internet with it. Is there a way that I can connect it through my ibook maybe through ethernet? Can I just network them together? Any help would be much appreciated.

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 13, 2004, 08:07 PM

Yes you can use your iBook to provide the internet connection for your eMac via ethernet.

Go to System Preferences and click on sharing

Click on Internet

Make sure your sharing connection is set to Airport and your to computers is ethernet and click the check box next to ethernet to turn it on

Then click start

That's it now you can share your internet connection from your iBook to your eMac with a cross-over ethernet cable.

If you have a wireless router you might want to check and see if it has an ethernet hub or switch built-in. If you do have a router like that then you can just run an ethernet cable from the router to your eMac.

Or you can by an Airport Extreme card for your eMac and use your wireless network with your iBook and eMac.

I would say get a Airport Extreme card for your eMac and use your wireless network it would be easier than always have to have your iBook on and a really long cross-over cable (depending on how far your iBook and eMac are from each other).
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Forum Links
Forum Rules