Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > iBook 1.0 & 1.2 GHz motherboards interchangeable?

iBook 1.0 & 1.2 GHz motherboards interchangeable?
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2008, 07:31 AM

I have a 1.2 GHz iBook G4 (late 2004) that is literally falling apart around the motherboard. Dead battery, hard drive, combo drive, screwed up mouse clicker, doesn't sleep on closing lid, display has spots. The motherboard in it is relatively new, being replaced under Applecare about 3 months before it went out of warranty.

I have the opportunity to but an ibook 1.07 GHz (early 2004) that has a dead motherboard, but is otherwise in working order. Are these interchangeable? Everything I've read about the late 2004 says it was merely a speed-bump, but maybe some screws got rearranged or something.

What say ye?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 9, 2008, 01:29 PM

Looking at ifixit, the heatsinks are the same for the 1ghz to 1.2ghz models, which as far as I'm concerned is the main thing.

The metal frames for the logic boards are listed as being different so I'd use the one from the 1.2ghz iBook just to be sure.

Apart from that, I think everything should swap over fine.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Looking at ifixit, the heatsinks are the same for the 1ghz to 1.2ghz models, which as far as I'm concerned is the main thing.

The metal frames for the logic boards are listed as being different so I'd use the one from the 1.2ghz iBook just to be sure.

Apart from that, I think everything should swap over fine.
Good point. I hadn't looked through their list of spare parts. The top & bottom shields appear to be exactly the same, so i guess the screw holes are all in the same place. I think I'll give it a whirl -- I should be able to get a complete computer one way or another. I've got a big enough workbench that I can disassemble them side-by-side & watch for the differences, if any, in the frame.

Edit: The product codes and the images for each frame are exactly the same, although they have different listings. Also,the motherboard replacement guide covers 800 mz-1.2 ghz, so it looks like they are identical.
( Last edited by chris v; Aug 9, 2008 at 06:02 PM. )

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 9, 2008, 05:51 PM

Well please keep us updated on how it goes, this will help people for the future if they come across the same issue.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2008, 12:22 AM

Okay, it turns out there is a slight, but significant, difference between the two metal frames, right where the DVD drive connects to the motherboard. They changed connector types, and moved the connector ribbon out of the way of a screw (I think this was probably to save money on what was a custom-made ribbon in the 1 GHz model) so there's a slight bulge towards the DVD drive compartment in the 1.2 GHz frame, and motherboard.

I ended up leaving the 1.2 GHz motherboard, metal frame, fan & heat sink all together, & replacing everything around them -- the display, the combo drive, the hard drive, the keyboard & the battery. I had to keep the same top cover & trackpad assembly, because the trackpad connectors were a different type, too. I have good pics, but need to scale them down. Will do so this week.

Taking them both apart & putting them both back together was a good 4 hour operation, but I had no screws left over!

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2008, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Taking them both apart & putting them both back together was a good 4 hour operation, but I had no screws left over!
Okay, so does it boot up?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2008, 05:08 PM

One of the things I like to track is the mfr and model number of the LCD panel. I've found that I can usually see a good replacement with a brighter bulb from other mfrs, especially when the display size becomes a commodity part.

I'm surprised by the drive change around the ribbon cable. Most optical drives all use the same connector, and in some cases Apple has hung a bridge board on the back of that to relocate the connector and change connector type.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2008, 05:08 PM

One of the things I like to track is the mfr and model number of the LCD panel. I've found that I can usually see a good replacement with a brighter bulb from other mfrs, especially when the display size becomes a commodity part.

I'm surprised by the drive change around the ribbon cable. Most optical drives all use the same connector, and in some cases Apple has hung a bridge board on the back of that to relocate the connector and change connector type.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 22, 2008, 05:29 PM

The best advice
Is worth giving twice.

We all await forlorn,
chris v, please post our geek p0rn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules