Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12inch PB External Monitor

12inch PB External Monitor
bobpensik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2003, 04:55 PM

Hi everyone,

Well i just recieved my 12inch PB!!! YAY and am loving it, but i had always intended to buy an external monitor just for easier viewing and whatnot. So my question is as follows...

I only have at most about $300 CAD to spend on a monitor and i am debating which way to go, i would love the small size of an LCD but it is much more expensive and i would only be able to afford a 15inch so i would not get any increase in screen real estate really but i know that it would be nice to go that way. My other option is a 17inch or possibly 19inch refurb CRT, that way i get much more screen but the things are so huge and from what i have read harder on the eyes after long periods of reading and whatnot. But the price is much cheaper. I would buy a LCD refurb if i could find one, but they are much less common.

I am a university student in general science right now, and enjoy doing multiple things on the computer at once, like music, internet, word processing, etc but i am not heavly into graphics or anything really, just once in a while as a hobby (Just to give you an idea what i use my comp for)

So any suggestions what i should do??? and if so any reccemondations on the brand of monitor i shoudl get.

Thanks for any advice and feedback :-)
Never Ask A Man What Computer He Uses. If It's A Mac, He'll Tell You. If It's Not, Why Embarrass Him?
-Tom Clancy-

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2003, 05:02 PM

When I used CRTs, I always swore by Samsung.

I have had 10+ over the past few years and they have never let me down.

They were also very reasonably priced too...

Don't know what they are like these days, but from my experience they have to be worth a look!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2003, 05:42 PM

Remember a 15" lcd has same viewable real estate as a 17" crt!

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2003, 10:20 PM

If you can get a student discount on an LCD, it would definitely be the way to go. I swore by CRTs for the longest time, but now, for all except the most color-sensitive work, I use LCDs. If you do go with a CRT, make sure to get a flat screen. You can probably pick up a used 17" or better Trinitron within your budget.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 01:17 AM

Partially, that depends upon your eyes tolerance to CRTs. You definitely get more bang for your buck in screen real estate. However, for my eyes, I found I much preferred to look at my 15" laptop LCD than my 19" CRT... so eventually my CRT just ended up under my desk... and now its loaned to a buddy.

Key point on 15" LCD... it *will* buy you extra real estate... twice as much... I am typing this right now on my PB12's screen... but right above it on my 18" LCD is the Mail window that I just finished responding to plus iTunes which is sucking in my music to fill my new iPod.

Dual screen, man... dual screen. It makes for a huge amount of screen real estate on your desk... and you can get 15" LCDs for cheap.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get the 15" LCD and run it in dual monitor mode... if you type on the PB keyboard, then orient them vertically... if you prefer an external keyboard when at your desktop, then you can orient them horizontally. Either way, its sweeeet!!

HTH.

darren h
Sep 1, 2003, 04:56 PM

Not sure what the cost will be over there but I would recommend the Mitsubishi 930 pro (19"), good image quality, colour and price, you will be able to run the PB at 1280x10254 @ 85hz no probs.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 11:45 AM

check out small dog ( http://www.smalldog.com/category/x/x...g107/wag10007/ ) for some good deals on CRTs and LCDs...give em a call, they also sell refurbished stuff...maybe they have an LCD in.

search around for stuff...heres a refurbed HP 17" LCD for $310
http://www.unityelectronics.com/product-product_id/819

google is your friend

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 09:45 PM

One thing....don't you need some sort of expensive adapter to make the 12" PowerBook work with an external LCD which is ADC?

kennedy
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by voyageur:
One thing....don't you need some sort of expensive adapter to make the 12" PowerBook work with an external LCD which is ADC?
Yes... it makes no sense to pair a PB12 with an Apple Display (unless maybe the case where you already have one... its free)... big premium to get a display not designed to work with your PB such that you need a big-time $90 adapter and lose much of the advantages the premium display is designed to provide.

With a PB12, get a display with VGA input as a built-in option.

I am quite pleased with the pairing of an Envision 18" LCD with my PB12, dual screen setup, vertically arranged.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2003, 01:39 AM

If you are in the market for a refurb monitor, check out Lacie's site here: http://www.lacie.com/clearance/products/?id=10010 They currently have the 22" for 279.00US. I'm not sure how much that is in canadian, but that's an amazing price for a massive monitor.

-cS
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

bastion
Sep 3, 2003, 08:30 AM

I think I am looking to get an external monitor for my PowerBook 12".. Mitsubishi DV172 has received the most awards/accolades, but is quite ugly. Something like LG1710S or Samsung 171N would suit me quite well... but not sure on the visual quality of those two monitors.
Cheers,
Nick.

superlarry
Senior User
Sep 4, 2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
If you are in the market for a refurb monitor, check out Lacie's site here: http://www.lacie.com/clearance/products/?id=10010 They currently have the 22" for 279.00US. I'm not sure how much that is in canadian, but that's an amazing price for a massive monitor.

-cS
i don't know if that was a typo or what, but it's $679.

macxtal
Sep 4, 2003, 08:15 PM

I'm in Nova Scotia.. here's one of the best kept secrets in Canada if you're looking for a deal on a monitor, I've used them before and they are very good:

http://www.canadamonitors.com

cdn$ prices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules