Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 15" PowerBook prediction thread. (NOT PPC 970)

New 15" PowerBook prediction thread. (NOT PPC 970) (Page 8)
pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2003, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by Sakino:
I HIGHLY DOUBT its the powebook
if apple hasnt released it yet, they are going to wait till the expo. And if there is no pb at the expo your going to have a hell of a lot of pissed off people. Plus all these rumors flying around about october release? Thats not suitable to me. It should be immediate shipping.
I can see Powerbooks being released next week... I do not believe a minor update to the line (and bringing 15" current) warrants a release at the show.

I think Steve will review the PB updates in Paris then move on to Panther update, BT mouse/keyboard, iPod stuf, iTunes, etc.

Minor updates: release 1 week prior to show
New items: release at show
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2003, 01:28 PM

This whole Powerbook rumor thing is very funny. No one has a clue what Apple is going to release.
IMHO there is no way Apple will release a G5 Powerbook as this would be very poor business sense. They are trying to recapture lost desktop sales with the G5. Powerbook sales are strong and people are still buying the current line up. There is no reason to release a product that would cost more to make then what currently is available.
The Powerbook lineup will get a minor speedbump and the 15 will go AL and thats it.
I will rush out and get a new 15 when it comes out. Do I really need it? No, my 867 is serving me well and the performance difference will be minimal. Nonetheless I just got a new credit card and I feel bad for having not used it yet

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2003, 05:07 PM

Well, something has to hapopen soo to the Powerbooks. Just went by Fry's looking for a new printer and went by their Apple section which is usually very well stocked. Today they had a bunch of 1.8 G5 machines sitting about in boxes, but their normally full powerbook line had 1 17" model and a couple of refurbished 17" for $2799 with the sale price ending on Tues 9/9/03. Seriously came close to picking one up, unfortuantely I didnt take my CC with me. I dont much believe in coincidences. The Fry's here has occasionally had open box demos on sale, usually $100 off, but NEVER had refurbs up. Sale ending on Tuesday the 9th, kind of odd. I wonder if they are trying to get rid of existing inventory?????

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2003, 08:34 AM

Apple Store is down.

So far the only confirmation is new 10/20/40 GB iPods and new 1.25 GHz iMacs with AE, GeForceFX 5200 Ultra, and 160 GB drive.

EDIT: Patcarla posted her info as I was editing mine.
( Last edited by Eug; Sep 8, 2003 at 08:40 AM. )

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Apple Store is down.

So far the only confirmation is a new 10/20/40 GB iPod.
And a new iMac: 1.25ghz, USB2 and 160GB HD. Saw it briefly at the french apple store.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

crispinwilliams
Sep 8, 2003, 09:03 AM

The new iMacs have 256 k L2.. I guess that makes it the 7455 cpu... so we have to keep waiting for the 7457..

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 8, 2003, 09:49 AM

NOOOO?!?! Well I guess its another week. If they don't release it next week I am going to be like WTF?!

tronx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2003, 09:58 AM

It just cant be anything else but a serious update to powerbooks. Apple have done it before and they will do it again.

My prediction, regardless of all rumour sites is that we will see G5 powerbooks a lot sooner than everyone thought.

Considering also that imacs are now to speed with existing powerbooks, apple have to push the powerbooks to Pro section and the only way of doing this is by giving them a G5 processor.

Whoever is waiting for 15s, you will be very, very, very happy very soon.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by tronx:
My prediction, regardless of all rumour sites is that we will see G5 powerbooks a lot sooner than everyone thought.
Wishful thinking.

We have substantial reason to believe we are a long way off from G5's in PowerBooks.

We have substatial reason to believe that Moto's new chip not being ready is the reason for the PowerBook delay (assuming they have been delayed).

There is some chance that Apple's been planning to release the new PowerBooks in time for Christmas... and that's been the plan all along... a one year release cycle is not unreasonable.

Expecting G5 PB's to be coming out "very, very soon" is unreasonable, IMO. Have you seen the heat sinks in the PowerMac G5's ... they are roughly the volume of the PowerBook 12

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2003, 10:37 AM

It just cant be anything else but a serious update to powerbooks. Apple have done it before and they will do it again.
Originally posted by kennedy:
Wishful thinking.
Yep. I agree 100%.

G5 in the PowerBooks is ridiculous. Really. Forget that dream really quickly or be ready to be very disappointed. It will be 2004 until we see that.

We will see a new Al 15" and bumped 12" and 17" PowerBooks in the meantime. I guess Apple is done with them and they are basically just waiting (once again) for Moto to get their act togther and go volume with 7457s.

So, Steve could announce them next Tuesday at AppleExpo in Paris and their availability will be determined by Moto's capability to deliver in large volume respectively Apple's capability to put them on the (hopefully) pre-manufactured boards. We're lucky if we can get hands on 7457 Al PowerBooks by mid October I guess.

...yes, that sucks...

Yeah, but it's better than never, right?

OK, I admit, I'm trying really hard not to lose faith on this one.

tronx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2003, 11:06 AM

I like to stay optimistic .... i've already aupgrade Ti15 from 667 to 867 ...there is just hardly much point to upgrade again to 1.25 .... i'll stick with it and wait for g5s.

powerbook needs an uplift ...and the only uplift that would do is a g5.

Commong guys !!..enough pesimism !!

crispinwilliams
Sep 8, 2003, 11:10 AM

I like to stay optimistic .... i've already aupgrade Ti15 from 667 to 867 ...there is just hardly much point to upgrade again to 1.25 .... i'll stick with it and wait for g5s.

It is not pessimism .. but reality-.. there is no way that there will be a G5 in the powerbook this year .. but a 7457 is a reasonable upgrade .. and two low power 7457's in a 17 inch powerbook would be big upgrade.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by crispinwilliams:
It is not pessimism .. but reality-.. there is no way that there will be a G5 in the powerbook this year .. but a 7457 is a reasonable upgrade .. and two low power 7457's in a 17 inch powerbook would be big upgrade.
I agree, hence the title of my thread.

lvarini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2003, 03:03 PM

yes, it sucks that we see the new iPods and Imacs on the website and not the new PBs... but i didn't expect them to come out on a monday anyway. I didn't even realize this till a friend told me a few days ago... haven't all Powerbooks been announced on a Tuesday up to now??
I'm not saying that this is going to happen tomorrow... but the apple website has already given us a taste of new stuff today.
so who knows....

Peabo
Senior User
Sep 8, 2003, 03:28 PM

The iMacs are now faster then the top Powerbook, I'm sure updates are imminent!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

MattiMattMatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2003, 07:57 PM

La semaine prochaine � Paris -- le mardi, comme toujours.

C'est la logique pour presenter les produits moins importantes aujourd hui.

Comme toujours.

-MattiMattMatt

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2003, 09:41 PM

LoopRumors are also saying new PBs are a definite go, Tuesday Paris ...

skyman
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 10:46 PM

Dual 1GHz processor option for the 17' will be announced at the Paris Expo.

.................... and then I woke up!

skyman
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 10:51 PM

Yes, I am VERY happy with my 6 month old 1GHz 15' PowerBook.

No need to upgrade until the G5 PowerBook is released.

crispinwilliams
Sep 9, 2003, 03:17 AM

This is a recent rumour from MacBidouille.. sounds as if Motorola still has problems..

MACBIDOUILLE Sept 9. 2003

We have ,on several occasions, spoken to you about the strained relationship APPLE and Motorola. Things are not improving, on the contrary. Steve descended to the central office of Motorola a few days ago. It is reported that colourful language was exchanged at the time of the discussions. Enraged, Steve qualified the G4 as a "Tonka Truck Processor". (This deserves an explanation. Some among you probably remember the Tonka Toys, cranes, trucks...) By this allusion, Steve wanted Motorola to understand that now the G4 is regarded as a toy compared to G5.

While waiting, APPLE does not want to release new portables as long as there is uncertainty with a regular and sufficient supply of processors 7457. Especially they do not want a repeat of the error of Powerbook 17"and other announced but unavailable products.

A review of the situation will be made each week.

Putta
Sep 9, 2003, 09:18 AM

We *may* see powerbooks today though I doubt it. So many people have been waiting so long that even if it is a modest increase Steve will wait for next week.

As for G5s, I think anyone who has followed anything even slightly knows that not only is it not possible yet (unless the speed is pretty reduced), but it is also laughable that Apple would do that at this stage.

Also, to the folks at macosrumors who don't think there will be USB2 in the powerbooks, I may be wrong but I doubt it when I say there ******* will be! They've done it to the iMacs so there is no way they won't include this in the PowerBooks.

I think the 1.25Ghz/1.33Ghz powerbooks all with backlit KB (maybe not 12 inch) predictions are probably right. Aside of that, just the usual speed bumps.

I think the action with 10.2.8 and the bluetooth keyboard/mouse rumours (facts) mean that we will see them announced next week too, and not January as LoopRumours would have it. 10.2.8 must be released soon so why would there be new error messages regarding these peripherals if they were not going to ship.

Also, i think the fact that Steve is coming this side of the Atlantic could indicate something else, the iTMS for Europe. The reason for this is that it is hotly awaited and Microsoft are on the verge of beating them to it. They have the technology, they just need the license agreement. Seeing as how the US iTMS has been such a success, i think the record companies may have come round. Of course, that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

All I know is that if they announce 15 inch PBs, I want one the next day, none of this waiting 6-8 weeks.

crispinwilliams
Sep 9, 2003, 09:52 AM

At last the end seems in sight.. today the delivery times at the Apple store in France and Switzerland jumped to 6-8 days... for all powerbooks.. previous to this they had all been same day delivery!

As far as predictions go: I would bet on a dual processor 7457 at 1 GHz for the 17 inch.. a single 7447 1 GHz for the 12 inch and a single 1.3 GHz 7457 for the 15 inch. (I would also bet that it is the 1.3 GHz 7457 that is causing all the delay)

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2003, 10:44 AM

I agree about the 12" and 15". As for the dual 17", I think it's possible (and would be a pretty cool thing) but not really likely. We'll probably get a single 1.3 GHz.

Interestingly, my interpretation of the Motorola specs suggests that while the 12" would see a significant power savings by going to the 1.1V 7457 at 1 GHz, the 1.3 GHz part at 1.3 V in fact burns a few more watts than the old 1 GHz 7455.

Maybe they will clock it down to 1.25 GHz to save a bit of power, but in any case, I wouldn't expect significant battery life improvements in the 15" or 17" unless they've worked some magic elsewhere.

crispinwilliams
Sep 9, 2003, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by neilw:
I agree about the 12" and 15". As for the dual 17", I think it's possible (and would be a pretty cool thing) but not really likely. We'll probably get a single 1.3 GHz.

Interestingly, my interpretation of the Motorola specs suggests that while the 12" would see a significant power savings by going to the 1.1V 7457 at 1 GHz, the 1.3 GHz part at 1.3 V in fact burns a few more watts than the old 1 GHz 7455.

Maybe they will clock it down to 1.25 GHz to save a bit of power, but in any case, I wouldn't expect significant battery life improvements in the 15" or 17" unless they've worked some magic elsewhere.
Unless they put two low-power 1 GHz 7557 which only take 7.5 W each - imagine each would have its own 0.5 Mb L2 and its own 1 Mb L3.. and only drawing 15 W with both processors running at full throttle.

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2003, 11:12 AM

I agree with that concept completely, just don't know if they're going to want to make a crazy leap like that in the (probable) last rev before going single G5.

It would certainly be an interesting machine!

Evan DiBiase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2003, 02:25 AM

I was idly Googling around and found this page on http://www.kelkoo.de, which appears to be a reasonably legitimate German electronics store. The page seems to list various Apple products, including "Apple powerbook g5".

Is this at all potentially legit, or have I found a simple piece of Google spam?

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Evan DiBiase:
I was idly Googling around and found this page on http://www.kelkoo.de, which appears to be a reasonably legitimate German electronics store. The page seems to list various Apple products, including "Apple powerbook g5".

Is this at all potentially legit, or have I found a simple piece of Google spam?
If I get what you got and click on the product link, it just links to a Powerbook G4 entry. Simple typo error, I presume.

Regards,
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

DeathStrike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2003, 08:55 AM

We definatly will not see G5s for some time keep dreaming.
I have large doubts about a duel G4 in a powerbook. They will increase the speed like they did with the iMacs and add USB 2.0. Somone mentioned backlit 15inch backlit powerbook which I think will not happen because they need to have some things to still make the 17inch special.
iBook 14.1inch, 40gig, 640ram, 32meg, Airport Card
Airport Extreme Base Station

Evan DiBiase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Powerbook:
If I get what you got and click on the product link, it just links to a Powerbook G4 entry. Simple typo error, I presume.
Ah; you're probably right. The page listing all of the Apple products doesn't mention the Powerbook G4, and this page, which seems to have all of the notebooks for sale, doesn't list the Powerbook G5.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2003, 04:41 AM

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2003, 05:25 PM

Hmmm... A guy from Europe on one of the other forums now claims he has pricing on the new models, but no specs.

i am working for an apple dealer in europe and we just got confirmation that there will be 2 new 15" models and a new 17". No specs yet, but all models are labe;ed as having "immediate" availability. Prices are set at 1999 and 2399 euro's for the two 15" configurations and 2899 for the 17

Rumours, rumours, rumours. What we do without them?

Now, I wonder if this thread will hit 50000 views before the new PowerBooks appear. That it's already over 46000 just shows you how anxious the MacNN'ers are for their hardware fix.

crispinwilliams
Sep 14, 2003, 02:38 AM

Hmmm... A guy from Europe on one of the other forums now claims he has pricing on the new models, but no specs.

i am working for an apple dealer in europe and we just got confirmation that there will be 2 new 15" models and a new 17". No specs yet, but all models are labe;ed as having "immediate" availability. Prices are set at 1999 and 2399 euro's for the two 15" configurations and 2899 for the 17

Rumours, rumours, rumours. What we do without them?

Now, I wonder if this thread will hit 50000 views before the new PowerBooks appear. That it's already over 46000 just shows you how anxious the MacNN'ers are for their hardware fix.
This seems quite a price drop... for example the 17 inch in the french Apple store is 3199.- - plus TVA at 20% makes the price 3826.- .. I guess that the price quoted by Eug's friend must be without TVA.. but this is still a 10% reduction...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2003, 08:59 AM

Not my friend and for the record I don't believe it.

Still hoping for a Tuesday release though.

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2003, 10:10 AM

I think Apple will squeeze the last mhz from the G4 product line before they release a G5 PB. Add some window dressing (ala Al case, better screen resolution, FW 800, bigger HDs etc). It appears to me, they did that with the towers, for 18 months or so. Improving-but not blowing smoke up my skirt-type-Wow(!)--until the G5 (CTO on or before 10/10).

The year of the laptop, to me, is all about $ales. Not leaps and bounds of the technology.

I'm buying my daughter a new PB 15 for school-and I'm hoping its 4:01AM, 9/16.
I'm upbeat, having never owned a PB before!

AND, this whole PB thread has been a great distraction for me--stopping me from checking on my G5 order every hour at the Apple Store!!!

"You paid twunny tousand dollars fer dat car?? Man, dat's a lotta kahpoosta!"

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 10:10 AM

Just received information that there will be a new PowerBook!

Specs:

25" screen 10 Gb ram 4 terabyte Hard drive

and a butler comes with it so he can carry it around for you since it weighs 120 pounds!

(LOL)

"Its portable as long as SOMEONE else carries it!"

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Kahpoosta Kid:
I'm buying my daughter a new PB 15 for school-and I'm hoping its 4:01AM, 9/16.
I'm upbeat, having never owned a PB before!
I'm not sure if new PowerBooks will come or not, but I can virtually guarantee that if they do, they will not be announced in the very first minute of the keynote!

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
I'm not sure if new PowerBooks will come or not, but I can virtually guarantee that if they do, they will not be announced in the very first minute of the keynote!

4:01am or 8:01 am--as long as it happens..right?

"You paid twunny tousand dollars fer dat car?? Man, dat's a lotta kahpoosta!"

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 12:49 PM

Powerbook on Tuesday with price infos..Check this out: macrumors

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2003, 02:05 PM

Hmmmm... It seems like most of the rumor sites/forums are jumping on the bandwagon of two new 15s and a new 17, with not as much mention of the 12.

I wonder if this just the rumor site herd effect working here.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 02:27 PM

Hmmmm... It seems like most of the rumor sites/forums are jumping on the bandwagon of two new 15s and a new 17, with not as much mention of the 12.

I wonder if this just the rumor site herd effect working here.
Coudl be but when macrumors writes "MacRumors has received further confirmation", they are usually pretty sure of their stuff and I really think that they are accurate..Anyway, we'll see on tuesday

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
Coudl be but when macrumors writes "MacRumors has received further confirmation", they are usually pretty sure of their stuff and I really think that they are accurate..Anyway, we'll see on tuesday
Thats pretty funny.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2003, 09:10 PM

So if it's Paris...

Besides the 1.25 GHz 15" and 17", and the new 12" PowerBooks, there will be some nice BlueTooth keyboard and mouse accompaniments for them.

I'm not expecting much more hardware than that though. Anything else would just be a bonus.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2003, 08:22 AM

Besides the 1.25 GHz 15" and 17", and the new 12" PowerBooks, there will be some nice BlueTooth keyboard and mouse accompaniments for them.
Besides?

Your rumor guy and the sites didn't explicitely talk about a 12" and the mention of an entry price of $1999 makes a new 12" highly doubtful.

I find that outright scary.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Your rumor guy and the sites didn't explicitely talk about a 12" and the mention of an entry price of $1999 makes a new 12" highly doubtful.
My rumour guy? It's just some guy posting in a forum. I don't know him if you're wondering.

Actually the prices were in Euros (not including VAT). I should point out though that the price in Euros in France excluding VAT is currently identical to the US$ number for the lower 3 models, and is actually 100 less for the top 2 current models.

However, I wasn't basing my guess just on his rumour (which only talks about the 15s and the 17). Some sites are saying that there is more info in the 15s and the 17, but there MAY also be a 12 coming.

Mind you they could also be 100% wrong like they have repeatedly been in the last few months.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2003, 08:58 AM

My rumour guy? It's just some guy posting in a forum. I don't know him if that's what you're implying.
No, no. I wasn't implying anything. I just meant the guy you quoted, that's all.

Mind you they could also be 100% wrong like they have repeatedly been in the last few months.
Of course they could. I was just pointing out that the more recent rumors (this one and one about three weeks ago) didn't mention the 12" PowerBook. People waiting for it (like me) should either not believe these rumors or start getting the punching bag ready.

I personally am doing both.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Thats pretty funny.
If you say so...mind explaining?

davidpgreen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2003, 11:34 AM

For what it's worth, all summer long, Apple has updated the home page of their Web site on Monday morning.... This is the first time in about three months (since I've been waiting for the new PBs) the site didn't have a different main image on Monday morning.

Yeah, it's grasping at straws, but I'm thinking "Why update the site on Monday if they are making announcements on Tuesday?"

While we are all reading tea leaves, I think this is the surest sign yet of announcements Tuesday. Let's just hope some of those announcements involve Powerbooks!

crispinwilliams
Sep 15, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by davidpgreen:
For what it's worth, all summer long, Apple has updated the home page of their Web site on Monday morning.... This is the first time in about three months (since I've been waiting for the new PBs) the site didn't have a different main image on Monday morning.

Yeah, it's grasping at straws, but I'm thinking "Why update the site on Monday if they are making announcements on Tuesday?"

While we are all reading tea leaves, I think this is the surest sign yet of announcements Tuesday. Let's just hope some of those announcements involve Powerbooks!
I think you are grasping at straws.. but anyway I cannot believe that there will be no new powerbooks announced at Paris... the fact that Steve comes to Paris is the best sign yet.
Anyway as this is a prediction thread: I add my vote for the dual G4 - prob. only for the 17 inch.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by davidpgreen:

Yep... That's grasping at straws.

Maybe you should submit your theory to www.macosrumors.com because they just might be crazy enough to print it.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 01:35 PM

No need to trash macosrumors ... just another site trying to ride the wave, so to speak ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules