Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So whats the scoop? 7457 or not? L3 or not?

So whats the scoop? 7457 or not? L3 or not?
acadian
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 09:15 AM

Cant find anything on this yet.
people ruin everything....

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 09:16 AM

The Americans PB's now lack L3 cache...it's strange b/c the UK site says something about including L3 cache, but it's NOT in the new American ones. Bad move Apple!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

cambro
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 09:19 AM

No kidding! But isn't cache design a Moto problem?

crispinwilliams
Sep 16, 2003, 09:28 AM

So what processor is in it.. the 7447 or 7457?

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 09:33 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, the 7455 in the previous PowerBooks only supported 256MB of L2, so these are probably 7457 which supports 512. My question is, does the increased L2 make up for the lack of L3?

I suspect that the UK site that mentions L3 is incorrect.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2003, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by cambro:
The L2 cache is on-chip. The L3 cache is not.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by cambro:

no...that would be system bus speed.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
Unless I'm mistaken, the 7455 in the previous PowerBooks only supported 256MB of L2, so these are probably 7457 which supports 512. My question is, does the increased L2 make up for the lack of L3?

I suspect that the UK site that mentions L3 is incorrect.
I think you are right, the Japanese sight agrees with the American site - there is no L3 listed as a part of any of the new PB's.

Does this adversely affect the performance or have they made up for it somehow else?

24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
The L2 cache is on-chip. The L3 cache is not.
Do you think we are taking much of a performance hit here by losing the L3? Or does the increased L2 make up for it, or at least perform well enough to offset the expense of the L3?

We should also take into account the possible clock-for-clock improvements we might see in the 7457. More efficient processors are always a Good Thing.

crispinwilliams
Sep 16, 2003, 09:48 AM

I can not believe that the US sites would not state the existance of the L3 cache if it did exist.. so I think it is fair to conclude that there is no L3 cache. Maybe this was part of some compromise forced onto Apple by Motorola... i.e Motorola could make 7447 easier than 7457.. and Apple was forced to accept the 7447 to get something new to update the powerbook line. Certainly there must be a performance hit for losing the L3 .. otherwise why put it in at all.. Hopefully the enlarge L2 will hide the missing L3 somewhat..

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
Do you think we are taking much of a performance hit here by losing the L3? Or does the increased L2 make up for it, or at least perform well enough to offset the expense of the L3?

We should also take into account the possible clock-for-clock improvements we might see in the 7457. More efficient processors are always a Good Thing.
A bigger L2 makes a huge difference. The doubling of the L2 on the iBooks made for quite a nice speed boost. I'm not sure if it completely compensatees for the loss of a 1 MB L3 or not, but it'd go a long way to doing so. That, with the extra 25% clock rate, would make for a fine upgrade over the previous line.

However, we still don't know if there is an L3 or not so we shouldn't jump to any conclusions yet.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 09:54 AM

A bigger L2 makes a huge difference. The doubling of the L2 on the iBooks made for quite a nice speed boost.
That's true, I had forgotten about that. I am actually more excited about the new 167MHz bus in the 15; I think THAT's the biggest improvement architecture-wise.

Meh. L3 or not, I'm getting one anyway. I'm just trying to decide if I want to order online or wait until I can get to my friendly Apple Store.

kikkoman
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 09:57 AM

With the processor speed bump, bigger L2 cache and no L3 cache, the new Powerbooks should deliver at least equal performance of the previous generation. There maybe a slight performance improvement but I'm being optomistic. That is my unscientific opinion.

acadian  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 09:58 AM

Considering how we've been lambasted with the G4's non existent upgrade path, I think knocking out the L3 cache is somewhat of a step backwards.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2003, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by kikkoman:
With the processor speed bump, bigger L2 cache and no L3 cache, the new Powerbooks should deliver at least equal performance of the previous generation. There maybe a slight performance improvement but I'm being optomistic. That is my unscientific opinion.
I disagree. I think there should be a noticeable speed boost, even without the L3 cache (although it'd be even more of a boost if there were an L3).

However, we still don't know if there is a cache or not.

BTW, if you're looking for OS 9 support remember the old TiBook is the only one that supports it. Otherwise the new 15" looks schweet!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 10:05 AM

Straight from www.pbzone.com...

All three models use the G4 7457 chip.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Straight from www.pbzone.com...

All three models use the G4 7457 chip.
As far as I can tell, they're just guessing like the rest of us.

acadian  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 10:18 AM

bigger L2 cache and no L3 cache, the new Powerbooks should deliver at least equal performance of the previous generation
I think the point here is that we HAD a L3 cache and now we dont (apparantly). I would be interested to find out whether or not there was some sort of dire technical limitation that prevents the incorporation of an L3 cache but I susspect that it is simply a cost compromise on Apple's part, which does not make too much sense considering the relative state of the G4 compared to the intel world. Remember that the 2nd gen G4 powerbook's L2 cache was knocked down to 256k from the first gen's 1 mb and as a result, the 550 model performed slower than the prev gen 500 model, even with the inreased 133 mhz bus.

Ti X
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 10:30 AM

Well, simple math tells me 512 vs 256+1MB would make the earlier versions faster. Whether or not the cache is on chip or not. But when combined with the faster processors, I think the new models will be just a hair faster. Remember that just like all previous moto revisions, performance increases are overall very insignificant.
15" AI PowerBook
17" PowerBook 1GB RAM
15" PowerBook 512MB RAM
700Mhz iBook

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Ti X:
Well, simple math tells me 512 vs 256+1MB would make the earlier versions faster.
Th only problem is simple math is wong in this case.

On-die L2 cache is much faster than slow off-die 133MHz L3. No matter how much.

Clock per clock, the new models are going to be faster. Period.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by acadian:
...as a result, the 550 model performed slower than the prev gen 500 model, even with the inreased 133 mhz bus.
The 550MHz model still had a 100MHz bus; only the 667 in that line had 133. The 667/800 (DVI) line both had 133.

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 10:40 AM

i like that reasoning
hope it's correct

greg

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Th only problem is simple math is wong in this case.

On-die L2 cache is much faster than slow off-die 133MHz L3. No matter how much.

Clock per clock, the new models are going to be faster. Period.
Yeah, the L2 cache runs at full clock speed (1.25 to 1.33 GHz in the 15 and 17" respectively), and has doubled in size in the new machines.

However, the L3 on the GHz TiBook ran at 5x133 = 667 MHz. I think the 17" would have been the same probably - 4x167 = 667 MHz. There would be no point in running the L3 cache at the same speed as the bus speed.

The new machines WILL be significantly faster than the old ones, but not exactly for the reasons you cite, and I'm not sure about the clock for clock claim either, although you may be right.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2003, 10:57 AM

The new machines WILL be significantly faster than the old ones, but not exactly for the reasons you cite, and I'm not sure about the clock for clock claim either, although you may be right.
They will be, I'm rather confident. We'll see.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by pbjudge:
I think you are right, the Japanese sight agrees with the American site - there is no L3 listed as a part of any of the new PB's.

Does this adversely affect the performance or have they made up for it somehow else?

So, does the ability to use DDR to it's full potential and doubling the L2 make up for a lack of L3? Personally, I believe so.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 12:24 PM

Oh hell, as long as it's faster than my 667, I don't care exactly how MUCH! The 1.25GHz is already CHEAPER than mine was a year ago, and when I bought it, it was the low-end model!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
So, does the ability to use DDR to it's full potential and doubling the L2 make up for a lack of L3? Personally, I believe so.
The DDR is a hack. The 7457 CPU cannot make use of DDR. Other things can use DDR, but in reality, it's the CPU's ability to use DDR that makes the difference.

In most benches (and in real-world testing), DDR on a G4 Mac makes little difference compared to SDR.

PeterKG
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 12:30 PM

Can I take my 512MB DDR ram from my 12" Powerbook and use it in my new 15" Powerbook?

Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 12:50 PM

The dutch apple site stated something about L3 also this morning but i can't seem too find it it now.