Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Gobi and Mojave

Gobi and Mojave
Loopydude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 03:59 PM

I'm guessing with the lackluster speed bumps of the newest PB crop, and with the iBooks reaching the end of their product life cycle, it's time to start wondering what's next.

Specifically, what is known about the newest crop of IBM processors, code-named Gobi (a speedy G3 variant) and Mojave (a vectorized G3 which I guess is essentially IBM's G4)?

I find it remarkable that there's been so much attention paid to Slow-to-rolla's G4 offerings, and salivation over the newst crop of Al PB's, when it's been clear for months that these new machines would be minor speed-bumps, long overdue. IBM supposedly has a G3 and a G4-ish offering ready to start out at 1.1 and 1.6 GHz respectively. In fact, these processors were rumored to be shipping in bulk by the end of the year.

It seems pretty clear that, if the rumors about Gobi and Mojave are true, they'll be ready to roll long before a portable G5 is available; and they might be just as fast as a portable G5, given that the G5 must be clocked-down considerably to avoid flaming death in a portable config.

So, again, to sum up in short, what the hell is the deal with IBM's newest 32 bit processors? The sooner Apple adopts these IBM chips and dumps Stinkorolla, the better, I say. Maybe around Christmas we'll see new PBs worth getting excited about?

Loopydude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 05:11 PM

What, nobody knows anything about Gobi and Mojave?

crispinwilliams
Sep 17, 2003, 05:38 PM

Well of course we read the rumours and all await the IBM 750GX to arrive - but production is not due to start until December. Personally I believe that this G3 will compete with the G4.. but Apple can not go backwards and put G3's into powerbooks... so one has to wait for the IBM G4 (750 VX)... this cannot come out before the 750GX.. so we are looking at sometime next year... by then the G5 may be ready for the powerbook.. or Motorola woken up... who can tell -

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 05:50 PM

There is basically no hard info on the Mojave chip at this point, so it's all speculation. We don't know when it'll be available, how fast it'll go, or how much power it'll consume.

One would suspect that Gobi is headed for the iBooks, but beyond that everything is speculation.

Loopydude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 02:50 PM

Hmm, we need some moles in Apple and/or IBM to leak some info about Mojave.

Personally, I'd be just as happy to have Apple dump Blowtorolla for good, but the only way they can do that is with help from IBM in the form of good chips.

For me, a way-fast G4 variant in a notebook would be more than enough to satisfy. I'm not likely to be sorting terabyte databases any time soon, so 64 bits isn't what I realy want; I want speed. Cheap speed, preferably. Plus, I want good battery life and something more comfortable than having a hot-plate in my lap. I'm guessing it will be a year at least before the G5 can deliver on those requirements (omitting the cheap aspect, of course, which it will never be).

The current crop of G4s ain't got the price/performance, I'm afraid. The G5 is a distant dream.

So bring on Gobi and Mojave, double-quick. PLEASE.

Forum Links
Forum Rules