Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Whence 1 GB 2700 RAM?

Whence 1 GB 2700 RAM?
cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 10:58 AM

Crucial, Kingston, Viking, dealram.com - nobody seems to offer 1 GB SODIMMs. I know they're available somewhere, bacause Apple can ship you Powerbooks with such for $600 apiece. I've ordered a stock 15-inch model and the best thing to do first is to give it at least 512 MB of RAM.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
Crucial, Kingston, Viking, dealram.com - nobody seems to offer 1 GB SODIMMs. I know they're available somewhere, bacause Apple can ship you Powerbooks with such for $600 apiece. I've ordered a stock 15-inch model and the best thing to do first is to give it at least 512 MB of RAM.

Ordering the Powerbooks with the 1 GB SODIMMs will delay your order for a month or so. They probably aren't made yet. I'm gonna wait until they're more available and cheaper. $600 is a lot of money for RAM especially since you can get 512mb for $100. I would wait until next month to buy the RAM. It looks pretty easy to install on the new books anyway.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 11:14 AM

Apple's BTO page is offering a 1GB stick (1 stick) upgrade for $500 from base which is pretty decent (it's only a $100 upgrade from 2 512MB sticks so if want to add more memory in the future, this is your best bet). For anyone who didn't yet grab one, I'd get the 1GB upgrade leaving the other slot free for a cheap Crucial 512MB stick or just live with 1GB in one slot and upgrade to 2GB when the price falls again. Then again, you'll pay TAX with the Apple store, which could even things out.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 02:54 PM

I was wondering, what will having 2GB of RAM improve? On my current PowerBook I have 1GB of RAM and after a restart and everything nice and clean it really jumps and everything is fast. But then after a while of using it I noticed that it just starts to lag... I have a feeling this is due to RAM. Similarly, what can I do with my 512MB chip once I no longer need it?

bobpensik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2003, 03:21 PM

everyone is saying how expensive a 1GB RAM chip is and yet i found this one

1GB
$289.99 (USD)
CT12864Z265S
DDR PC2100 � CL=2.5 � Unbuffered � Non-parity � 7.5ns � 2.5V � 128Meg x 64_

Module Details:
Module Size: 1GB
Package: 184-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR PC2100
Configuration: 128Meg x 64
DIMM Type: Unbuffered
Error Checking: Non-parity
Speed: 7.5ns
Voltage: 2.5V
SDRAM Timings:CL=2.5

on crucial.com

would this be compatiable with the old 12inch PB???? and if so isnt' this a pretty good price???
Never Ask A Man What Computer He Uses. If It's A Mac, He'll Tell You. If It's Not, Why Embarrass Him?
-Tom Clancy-

Synotic
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by bobpensik:

1GB
$289.99 (USD)
CT12864Z265S

Module Details:

on crucial.com

would this be compatiable with the old 12inch PB???? and if so isnt' this a pretty good price???
I thought that the old 12" PowerBook couldn't even take 1GB of RAM.. A good way to find what kind of RAM that Crucial for your Mac is to use their really good Memory Selector, it's on the front page.

iohead
Sep 20, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by bobpensik:

1GB
$289.99 (USD)
CT12864Z265S

Module Details:

on crucial.com

That's a DIMM (184 pin) - not for the PowerBooks, that take SO-DIMMs (200 pin). Desktop memory is usually much cheaper than notebook memory.

-A

Forum Links
Forum Rules