Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12inch PB and Windows Network

12inch PB and Windows Network
bobpensik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 02:27 PM

Hi All :-)

Well i am currently awaiting the arrival of panther so i decided that i wanted to back up all my files so i can do a clean install of the system, as you can tell i am on a laptop, and am networked with my windows computers,

I have finally figured out how to let my windows machine see my mac and view all the files in my home directory so that is what i was looking for, but when i go to transfer my music files (all 8gigs of them) it pops up with the screen "Cannot copy File: Cannot Read From The Source File or Disk" but when i transfer anything else, like my pictures or documents it works fine!!

Anyone have any insight into this problem??? thanks
Never Ask A Man What Computer He Uses. If It's A Mac, He'll Tell You. If It's Not, Why Embarrass Him?
-Tom Clancy-

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 02:34 PM

The same happens to me, I really want to find a work around for this.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 05:43 PM

If you are connecting over samba then the problem is because you samba cannot recognize some special characters sucha as []. If any of your songs contain those then it will fail to transfer. A good workaround is to change your iTunes music folder to some folder on the share and then drop your current music folder into iTunes. All the files will be transfered witout a glitch. Or you can search for songs that contain special characters and change them.

Macola
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 10:52 PM

Also, transferring 8 GB over an SMB connection is almost guaranteed to fail. Try breaking that up into smaller batches (like 1 GB). Maybe this is fixed in Panther.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

bobpensik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 11:39 PM

transfering all those files was fine when i took them all from my PC to my Mac!!! it took about 2 hours to do, but i took it in one huge file transfer, it was great, flawless, except that i had to rename almost all my files!! lol, that is why i want to make sure that i don't have to do that again!!
Never Ask A Man What Computer He Uses. If It's A Mac, He'll Tell You. If It's Not, Why Embarrass Him?
-Tom Clancy-

fraeone
Oct 27, 2003, 01:03 AM

It shouldn't matter what the size of the file transfer is, but I agree that I wouldn't use Samba for that much data. It would be much faster/more reliable to use ftp.

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 04:20 AM

I�m having network problems when I wake my PB 12" from sleep( in panther). The network preferences tells me that ethernet is working but i cant give me a DHCP (ip) from the router. It gives me a internal ip.

If I restart my PB it works as normal!

Have anyone encountered this problem?

Forum Links
Forum Rules