Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Expose keys on a Tibook

Expose keys on a Tibook
Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2004, 12:14 PM

My brother finally got around to installing the version of panther i convinced him to purchase, but now he is complaining that he has no keys to use for expose, TiBooks don't have Fkeys so that limits him to the keys he can assign expose functions to... what are the work-arounds. He does not use an external mouse.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 12:45 PM

Umm, myabe they changed the keybaord on the later models from the earlier ones but my 867mhz TiBook has function keys right along the top row. F9, F10, and F11 work fine for me in Exspose'. Come to think of it my wife's 500mhz tiBook has the function keys also. Might want to take another look at the keyboard.

BTW, sinc ethose keys are not assigned other tasks to do (ie. brightness and sound) then they work as function keys right off unless you have assigned them to something else.

Bruck  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2004, 03:34 PM

My brother swore that his TiBook does not have an Fanything keys. He said that it has keys but none of them are Fkeys is this true?
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

crispinwilliams
Feb 20, 2004, 05:56 PM

My 17 inch alubook uses the F8, F9 and F10 for the lighted keyboard control - so only F11 and F12 can be used for expose.. however the expose control allows one to set up hot spots in the screen corners...

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 06:12 PM

Although not that useful for expose, you could assign one of those special function F-Keys to expose and then press 'Fn'+'F-Key' to use expose.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 06:26 PM

I use F9-F11 on my PowerBook 400 without any problems. Looking at the Aluminum model below, it looks the same to me.

banditcosmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2004, 06:43 PM

On the new Powerbooks (with the lighted keyboards) the F9 & F10 control the light level of the lighted keyboards. If you hold down the shift key with the F9 & F10 you should be able to use Expose.
I installed a program called uControl which let me use the functions keys as functions keys without having to hold the shift key. I now hold the shift key to control brightness, volume and light level.
Here's the link to uControl:
http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol

hadocon
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 04:49 PM

Tell him to use the corners of the display for Expose - I use the top right for "all windows," and the top left for "desktop." Works great - it shoudl be the default setting.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Corinthian
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2004, 09:23 PM

I have got 2 TiBooks, one being 800 and the other is 1GHz, and both of them got F8 to F11 for me to assign myself, and there shouldn't be the problem to use expose through F9 to F11
TiBook rulezz~~

TiBook 800/512/40/Combo Drive
TiBook Giga/512/60/SuperDrive

rsgunther
Feb 23, 2004, 09:59 PM

All TiBooks have function keys.

Have him take a picture & email it to you. The f-keys are there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules