Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > My Logitech Rev. MX/VX & MX1000 review

My Logitech Rev. MX/VX & MX1000 review
n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2006, 05:38 PM

Staples had a sale on the new Logitech VX MX Revolution for 59.98 & 79.98 respectively. I also bought an cartridge of ink as a filler to get the 30 off 150 spent. Got back two $3 coupons from my empty ink cartridges as well. After all taxes etc, I paid $136 shipped/picked up.

I like to give a slight review of the new mice and comparison to my old mx1000.

The mx1000 mouse was a good mouse, good battery life, felt decently well, most buttons were functional. But later i realized the amount of control was limited due to its high hump and center of gravity. It's also a bit bulky and heavy, though not to the point of being uncomfortable. Some of the buttons were also difficult to put into daily use due to its positioning. All in all, I was just satisfied. Gaming wise it was just not very good providing mediocre control and accuracy.

The Rev Mx felt better compared the MX1000, the hump was not nearly as high, almost all the buttons were easily accessible, noticeably lighter, less bulky, and conformed to the curvature of the palm a bit more. The mouse does seem slightly bit longer and had a bit of difficulty pushing the side scroll upward as the center of my thumb rested on the lower half of the scroll.

The Rev VX on the other hand felt felt even better as I was able to wrap my hands around it more than either of the MXs. More of the ball of my palm was able to rest giving me more control and accuracy. All the buttons were even more accessible, but the zoom trigger seemed a bit stiff. The weight is just slightly heavier than the Rev MX, but still lighter than the old MX.

As for the free flying scroll, it's very interesting indeed. Nothing like i've ever used (obviously) and quite functional indeed. The feedback due to its alloy weight, is good. The Rev MX isn't ideal for gaming if u use the scroll wheel button because it's used to switch between the free spinning and regular scroll wheel modes.

I think my review could not prove as useful to most people because my hands aren't exactly the avg size of Americans. I am Chinese and 5'6.5" tall, my hands aren't that large and prolly considered on the small side. Perhaps that's why I feel the rev MX seems a bit oversized and the VX feeling very good. Taking that into consideration, I think the rev MX will feel VERY good for the average crowd.

ImageShack - Hosting :: 1ox5.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 2qr2.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: 33nw1.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 4ne4.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: 5ab6.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 6fa5.jpg

urzsite
Sep 13, 2006, 06:27 PM

With 66 people viewing this thread, I might say, Thanks for the insight of the new Logitech mouses.

I am looking out for the MX revo, and hope it goes smooth on my Func Surface1030 Mousepad. Those are btw, very awesome for logitechs MX1000 (which is so heavy!)... very slippery.

FUNC INDUSTRIES: CUSTOM GEAR UTILITY - Best mousepad I have ever used, and im a disliker of all those steel/ice-pad´s.
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 07:58 PM

After days of use, I found the free-spinning scroll to be awesome. The heavy alloy wheel makes feedback feel very good. It's especially useful on the MX since it auto senses what apps require the click-click or free-spinning.

Since I have shorter fingers than the avg person, I'm sure the MX will be a VERY good fit for most others. I highly recommend it.

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by n8236
After days of use, I found the free-spinning scroll to be awesome. The heavy alloy wheel makes feedback feel very good. It's especially useful on the MX since it auto senses what apps require the click-click or free-spinning.

Since I have shorter fingers than the avg person, I'm sure the MX will be a VERY good fit for most others. I highly recommend it.
I have to agree that the MX is an excellent mouse. Here in the UK, we pay more for everything, and it cost me 80 pounds, which is probably more than your total 136 dollars, but it is worth every penny. It is accurate, comfortable, and the scroll wheel is a truly useful innovation. It's a bit like expose - a gimmick that actually turns out to be useful.

I ran the battery down to test and calibrate it (not sure if it does that), but it lasted a week with being used 4-5hrs/day. The only problem was, when I charged it I had to go back to my old MS optical intellimouse, and it seemed AWFUL!

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

urzsite
Sep 14, 2006, 04:42 AM

Sounds very cool with the battery time.

I loved the MX1000, so im sure im gonna love the new MX Revo. I never mind paying top dollar for Logitechs mouses, they have never let me down.

I heard the "side" scroll wheel is not so good ? Like it is a choppy scrolling feel ? (Something that a software driver might improve on).

Anyway, congrats on your mouse!
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by urzsite
I heard the "side" scroll wheel is not so good ? Like it is a choppy scrolling feel ?
Thing is, it isn't actually a scroll wheel. It looks the same as the top one, but only 'flicks' up and down, then clicks in, for example to select an app to switch to.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2006, 02:37 PM

Hey n8236, thanks for the review, and everyone else for your comments.

I've been thinking about getting either the MX or VX, having read reviews on them online. But none of the reviews actually mention comfort in terms of the user's handsize. And to be honest, it didn't really occur to me. I'm also Chinese and 5'7'' and my hands aren't big either, and so based on your review, I'll probably go for the VX!

The other reviews I read were based upon using the mice with Windows. I assume you're all using yours with OS X right? I mean I know Mac is supported and all, but are there any issues in practical use? Or do they work perfectly?
24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2006, 05:24 PM

I got the MX revolution a while back. It's great, the only bad thing is the side scroll wheel is always in the way of my thumb. So it's uncomfortable to use it sometimes.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2006, 05:57 PM

The side scroll, like the others said, isn't a scroll at all, but a look-alike wheel that presses and triggers up and down. I do a lot of surfing and I've found it suddenly to become quite handy as I zoom in to read small texted pages. It's weird, I've never really found myself doing this before perhaps because I never had a zoom button handy.

Just to reinterate, the MX isn't overly large, but I am not able to grasp it wholey as I like. It does still feel good if you're gonna use it at home, but it obviously won't be very portable if you have a laptop like me.

I highly suggest you visit a Circuit City of some sort and try it first. I have a 30 off 75 and 20 off 50 purchase print-able coupons for Staples if anyone is interested. The MX there is 80 while the VX is 60. The coupons were sent to me by a friend, should work, but not guaranteed. Good through 9/18. You can email me for them at [email protected]

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2006, 06:34 PM

Well that's what i meant, i use it for zooming in photoshop. It's really annoying though.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Forum Links
Forum Rules