Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 3G MacBook Pro prototype in the wild (pic)

3G MacBook Pro prototype in the wild (pic)
Eug
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2011, 01:53 PM

Prototype Macbook Pro with 3G: In my shop now! - AnandTech Forums

More pix at that link. I personally have no interest in a 3G MacBook Pro since I can tether my iPhone 4 (without paying extra or jailbreaking). However, I could see some users wanting this, but I guess Apple didn't see a huge target market for this. Or maybe we'll see a 3G MacBook Pro (or Air) in the future.
( Last edited by Eug; May 16, 2011 at 02:15 PM. )

Cold Warrior
May 16, 2011, 05:12 PM

That's neat. I'd like to see 3G options in Apple's notebooks, as long as they're month to month and reasonably priced. A world chip is a must.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2011, 05:18 PM

The month-to-month reasonable pricing is most certainly not up to Apple.

Fortunately, iPad has resulted in some interesting plans.

Of course, since that prototype is pre-unibody, this may be news, but unfortunately, it's extremely old news.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2011, 05:20 PM

Well, new news of an old prototype.

Anyways, the guy has managed to power the thing up, so he's gonna try installing 10.5 on it.

At any rate, it looks like the machine is now functional after reflowing the nVidia GPU chip. Had to remove all the hand soldered vias first before putting it in the reflow oven, then resolder them back afterwards. Next up I'll run to Tigerdirect to grab a hard drive and try installing Leopard. From there, no idea what's going to happen!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2011, 05:56 PM

I wonder if the 3G drivers for it are built into retail OS builds.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I wonder if the 3G drivers for it are built into retail OS builds.
Nope.

Leopard is running. Big surprise, nothing happens when I insert a SIM card and it doesn't see any hardware different than normal.

According to the guy I got it from:

"Sorry! The Cell phone interface was never tested, I did not see working either while working with Apple and I did not receive any Module either which can be installed at J1300.

For you info it has cell Antenna also on right Edge of the Display edge."

ibook_steve
May 17, 2011, 01:30 AM

I don't know who this person is who brought this machine in to you, but they are asking for trouble. They are obviously not an engineer because for one thing, they'd probably have an idea on how to fix it themselves, and for another thing, they'd know that they could get into really big trouble for handing over a prototype model, even if it is 4 years old, to a non-Apple repair shop. Even if they no longer work at Apple, this was a bad idea on their part.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2011, 10:45 AM

Not my shop. (I don't have a shop. It's the shop of the guy who posted the original thread in the other forum.)

I also wondered about that guy getting into trouble, but then again I sometimes see prototype machines on eBay, with the red logic boards and everything. I've probably seen 2 or 3 on eBay just in the last 2 years. I just never bother bidding on them because they're usually quite old and quite expensive.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2011, 11:43 AM

He's unlikely to get in any trouble this far down the line. If he took it to an Apple store they would probably assume it was some kind of knock off and refuse service on it. More than likely the serial number wouldn't come up on their system.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2011, 12:04 PM

If they had included 3G back then, would they have had to build a complete extra line to accommodate the carrier-locked CDMA variant...

Not feasible.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I also wondered about that guy getting into trouble, but then again I sometimes see prototype machines on eBay, with the red logic boards and everything. I've probably seen 2 or 3 on eBay just in the last 2 years. I just never bother bidding on them because they're usually quite old and quite expensive.
Speaking of which. This just got posted and sold this week.

Apple TV Prototype Rare Collectible | eBay

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2011, 11:05 AM

I like the vintage Mac prototypes with the transparent plastics. Those are my favorite. I'd love to get one.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2011, 11:20 AM

Found the thread I made about the Mac Pro prototype. This one is really cool because it has all the extra indicator LEDs for various functions. Must be pretty cool to watch with the side case off.

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...rototype-ebay/
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2011, 02:39 PM

cant say im digging 3g on the laptops, was more hoping for a design overhaul for the macbooks man

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ilovemymac View Post
cant say im digging 3g on the laptops, was more hoping for a design overhaul for the macbooks man
Did you look at the image long enough to realize that it's the design that WAS completely overhauled in late 2008?

That book is pre-unibody.

Forum Links
Forum Rules