Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Setting up childs computer w/ net in her room

Setting up childs computer w/ net in her room
KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 07:15 PM

My daughter uses my wife's iMac lamp LCD in my studio and it's hard wired for the net. I want to move the computer to her own room and give her net access. I have the old Airport Base-station. So I guess I have a two part question.

What would work better- an Airport Express (does that work with the old airport stations?) or getting an airport card for the iMac? Will she get decent speeds? Her room is less then 50 feet away I think. If I got just the card (not sure if this iMac -1st gen LCD accepts airport extreme) will she be able to share my printer? Or would I need the express for that?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2005, 06:56 PM

No replies yet? Now i see why everyone posts Airport questions in the peripherals forum, you actual gets answers there because it gets more traffic.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 7, 2005, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
No replies yet? Now i see why everyone posts Airport questions in the peripherals forum, you actual gets answers there because it gets more traffic.
Actually it is probably because this one takes some research. For example, you mentioned that the iMac is a "1st gen" lamp version. It took some looking, but I found reference to the basic lamp-type iMac using the original AirPort card. This does not mean that such a computer can't join an AirPort Extreme network, just that it will pass traffic slower.

You should understand that you asked a lot of questions, and that kind of puts some people off-they don't want to only partly answer you, or they don't want to get involved in the research needed to figure out what you need. Don't get turned off, just be a little patient.

Answers:
Your iMac probably only supports the original AirPort card, which is not a problem, since all AirPort networks are IEEE standard 802.11 wireless or WiFi networks. AirPort (basic) is 802.11b, capable of up to 11Mbps data rates, while AirPort Extreme and Express are 802.11g, capable of up to 54Mbps data rates. They are all interoperable.

50 feet is not a problem, but the intervening walls and other structures might give you some problems. It depends on what they're made of and how you physicall set up your base station. Since it's all WiFi, you can also go with a third-party wireless access point or router, which will often be less expensive than an Apple product and give you some extra options in increasing your range-the two-antenna models are usually good at getting more range out of your network.

Helpful?

P.S. Posting AirPort questions in the Peripherals forum is kind of like asking your neighbor about "that odd growth on your neck;" you might get some knowledgable response, but you won't necessarily get the support you really want. Keeping the AirPort stuf here means that people that are interested in networking in general will see it. I don't usually even look at the Peripherals forum myself.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 10:04 AM

I don't have a network yet, all the computers are hard wired thru a router. But I do have a airport BS from when I had my powerbook. So I was wondered what would be the best way to go-

An airport card in the iMac or and Airport Express device in her room?

I don't know a lot about the Express or how it works, what it needs, etc. Also, other then Ebay, I didn't know if I could put and Extreme card in her iMac (if it would fit, or was it backwards compatible) where I would get the old card from.

So, if I go the card route, will the Extreme and original give me the same speed? Assuming the extreme fits in the iMac, will it's speeds be at least the same as the original?

I like the Express idea, just want to make sure it works with the old BS and I don't need anything else.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 8, 2005, 11:23 AM

The fastest speed you can get with an orignial AirPort card is 11Mbps (theoretical max-actual speed will be significantly lower due to network overhead and such).

If you're talking about using an AirPort Express as a wireless bridge from the rest of your network into the daughter's room, yes, that will work. Unfortunately the cost ($129 new from the Apple Store) is significantly higher than just an AirPort card (about $70 from eBay). Also, if the AirPort Base Station is the Graphite model, it runs at the slower 11Mbps rate as well, so an Express won't get you any real benefits over the card for simply networking the iMac.

To explain, a "wireless bridge" is a device that connects to a wireless network and provides an ethernet connection, effectively replacing a difficult or inconvenient run of network cable with a wireless connection. There are dedicated wireless bridge devices, such as this Linksys WET11 at Buy.com which sells for less than $65. Their advantage is that you don't have to open the iMac's case, and of course you can get the WET11 new.

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 01:28 PM

The BS is white. The last one before the extreme I think.

Would she able to print the same way with the Express as she would be with the card?

The 11mps is calculated how? My current hardwired connection gets about 512k a second over cable. How slow would the 11mps be in terms of k per sec?

I wonder if I should get the Extreme BS and card just to be up to par for the future? Or hell, I can always run ethernet thru the attic into her room and install a wall plate terminal. That might be the cheapest and I wouldn't lose and speed correct? The cost of the wire and wall plates would be all.

ink
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2005, 05:18 PM

The BS is white. The last one before the extreme I think.

Would she able to print the same way with the Express as she would be with the card?

The 11mps is calculated how? My current hardwired connection gets about 512k a second over cable. How slow would the 11mps be in terms of k per sec?

I wonder if I should get the Extreme BS and card just to be up to par for the future? Or hell, I can always run ethernet thru the attic into her room and install a wall plate terminal. That might be the cheapest and I wouldn't lose and speed correct? The cost of the wire and wall plates would be all.
1kb = 1024mb

So, 11mbs is about 10 thousand kilobits/s; which is more than enough to saturate your cablemodem.

You shouldn't notice a speed difference either way. The printer question depends on what kind of printer it is (usb? ethernet? parallel? wireless?).

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 10:27 AM

ink- It's a USB printer that the iMac uses via printer share now. So, I wanted to make sure if we went wireless that the iMac could still use my printer. So, there shouldn't be any speed drops if I got the older card? With an Extreme card work in her iMac? I don't know if they are backward compatible.

ink
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 12:08 PM

ink- It's a USB printer that the iMac uses via printer share now. So, I wanted to make sure if we went wireless that the iMac could still use my printer. So, there shouldn't be any speed drops if I got the older card? With an Extreme card work in her iMac? I don't know if they are backward compatible.
Yes, they are both pcmcia cards, so either should work fine. You can share the printer over any network, so that will work as well.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 11, 2005, 01:42 PM

The Extreme card is a different form factor from the original card-sorry ink, but you're wrong.

While the original AirPort card is of the PCMCIA card form (it's a modified PCMCIA card; normal PC cards WILL NOT work in an AirPort slot), the Extreme card is a mini-PCI card and thus completely different.

As I said earlier, your early "lamp" iMac will probably only take the original card. While they are compatible in communicating with each other, since they are physically different, they are not interchangable.

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 03:25 PM

Thanks. So my options are-
1) old airport card off ebay
2) airport express
3) hard wiring myself

Thanks guys, now I know my options.

ink
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
The Extreme card is a different form factor from the original card-sorry ink, but you're wrong.
http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

Ahh, there it is. If you scroll down, you can see both. I had no idea that the 'extreme' card wasn't pcmcia. Here is a compatibility matrix:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86258

cocoanut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by ink:
1kb = 1024mb

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 12, 2005, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by cocoanut:
Nit picker! Yes, you're right, it should have been:
1Mb=1024kb

An important point to note is that this is in 'bits' NOT 'bytes.' VERY important, because 1 byte = 8 bits, and that means that 1Mb = 128kBytes. Wow, that's different, isn't it! It has tripped many people in the past, so watch it. If you use a tool (or web site with a measurement tool) that reports speed, WATCH YOUR UNITS!

Enjoy!

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 11:50 AM

Thanks. So my options are-
1) old airport card off ebay
2) airport express
3) hard wiring myself

Thanks guys, now I know my options.
The original airport cards are still available on the web. Here's a link to a brand-new one for $80

http://expercom.com/product_detail.h...DUCT_ID=290654

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 13, 2005, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by ink:
http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

Ahh, there it is. If you scroll down, you can see both. I had no idea that the 'extreme' card wasn't pcmcia. Here is a compatibility matrix:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86258
Neither card is PCMCIA: the original AirPort card is PC Card-like (but is not a PC Card). PCMCIA is the standards organization; PC Card is one of the types of cards they define. The AirPort slot interface is basically a limited PC Card socket, but modified to only work with a very specific device. (Essentially a Lucent WaveLAN Silver card with no integrated antenna.)

tooki

KidRed  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2005, 10:56 AM

Amazing- thanks, that was an amazing find I might just go that route.

Forum Links
Forum Rules