Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > my perfect ibook/notebook

my perfect ibook/notebook
sledsbehave
Senior User
Mar 7, 2005, 09:15 PM

so over the past year, i've been through a few different notebooks, trying to find the perfect one for me and i think it's a combination. so i was thinking what i like about all the ones i have tried and i have a wish list.

ibook: it has to be that size and i like the plastic case, as opposed to any metal.
14" widscreen in the 12" form factor i think this could be done with a slightly higher resolution.
matte black finish: i think this would be cool, but not as prone to show scratches as the white.
processor: doesn't matter 1.2ghz, 1ghz, 1.3ghz are all plenty fast for the average user.
gpu: this again doesn't matter, but i would like a slot to add RAM to the GPU, just think how cheap it would be to add a 128mb stick to yr existing 32mb.
superdrive: option, give us the option for the 12"
longer batter life: does anyone ever get the 4-5 hours? how about a larger longer battery that would yeild more batter life.
audio line in: come on, come on...this is so cheap and easy to include.

if apple created this perfect ibook, they could do away with the both the 12" powerbook and 14" ibook, and still offer the 12" version of the current ibook.

some of these are simple, i realize the 14" widescreen sounds impossible in a 12" form factor.

price point for this ibook with these specs

14" widescreen
1.2ghz G4
256mb RAM
32mb radeon/nvidia whatever
combo drive
8hr battery
$1299.00
as ever,
sonny

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2005, 12:16 AM

I'm with you on the wide screen. 1280x800 in a 14" size would be perfect. I'd buy one tomorrow at the price you suggest, although Apple really should solder in 512MB of RAM. It's time to end the 256 standard.

donniedarko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by sledsbehave:
so over the past year, i've been through a few different notebooks, trying to find the perfect one for me and i think it's a combination. so i was thinking what i like about all the ones i have tried and i have a wish list.

ibook: it has to be that size and i like the plastic case, as opposed to any metal.
14" widscreen in the 12" form factor i think this could be done with a slightly higher resolution.
matte black finish: i think this would be cool, but not as prone to show scratches as the white.
processor: doesn't matter 1.2ghz, 1ghz, 1.3ghz are all plenty fast for the average user.
gpu: this again doesn't matter, but i would like a slot to add RAM to the GPU, just think how cheap it would be to add a 128mb stick to yr existing 32mb.
superdrive: option, give us the option for the 12"
longer batter life: does anyone ever get the 4-5 hours? how about a larger longer battery that would yeild more batter life.
audio line in: come on, come on...this is so cheap and easy to include.

if apple created this perfect ibook, they could do away with the both the 12" powerbook and 14" ibook, and still offer the 12" version of the current ibook.

some of these are simple, i realize the 14" widescreen sounds impossible in a 12" form factor.

price point for this ibook with these specs

14" widescreen
1.2ghz G4
256mb RAM
32mb radeon/nvidia whatever
combo drive
8hr battery
$1299.00
I agree with some things you say like the iBook being balck. That would be very cool. But I think 1.2ghz is alittle slow. I think the ram should be at the least 512mb. I'd perfer a 13inch wide screen. I better video card would be nice too. And to answer your question, yes I do get 4-5 hours of battery life. I get most of the time about 5 hours with screen at 50% bightness. I find it too be pretty nice.

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 05:51 PM

I'm not convinced that a smaller widescreen notebook can be pulled off without having an eye-straining DPI (I *like* ~100DPI), just adding a few measily horizontal pixels (1024x768 -> 1152x768), or increasing the form factor of the machine too much (may as well get a refurb 15" PowerBook in that case).

I'm waiting to purchase a new Apple portable until at least when Tiger comes out. If the iBooks get a nice bump (1.5Ghz 12" with a SuperDrive option would be nice ) then I'll likely get one of those.

Voch

Forum Links
Forum Rules