Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel mac mini upgradable to 2.16ghz?

Intel mac mini upgradable to 2.16ghz?
sledsbehave
Senior User
Mar 2, 2006, 10:55 PM

i was reading how the cpu is a socket, so does this mean someone could buy the 1.5 core solo, and upgrade it to a 2.16ghz core duo??

all of sudden i'm interested. right now it might not be financially smart, but i like the possibility.
as ever,
sonny

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2006, 11:20 PM

Yes, but the fan may run a lot or it may overheat... I'd watch temps closely during high CPU load.

Funny, the 2.16Ghz Core Duo chip costs more than the 1.5Ghz Core Solo computer.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 12:42 AM

What I want to know is what processor is Apple really using in the low end machine? Intel's website doesn't list a 1.5ghz Core Solo, only a 1.66ghz. There is a ultra low voltage Core Duo listed for 1.5ghz but I find it hard to believe that Apple is using one of them and turning off the extra core.
Agent69

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2006, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Agent69
What I want to know is what processor is Apple really using in the low end machine? Intel's website doesn't list a 1.5ghz Core Solo, only a 1.66ghz. There is a ultra low voltage Core Duo listed for 1.5ghz but I find it hard to believe that Apple is using one of them and turning off the extra core.
I don't doubt that the a 1.5Ghz single core part (T1200) exists (*queue the underclocking rumors*), but oddly it isn't even on their tech specs (page 30) or price list.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2006, 08:06 AM

Appl is probably concerned that 1.87 minis would cut into the sale of 1.87 Intel iMacs so they purposely crippled the minis to stay below that line.

Until someone pops in a faster chip (give it a few days), we won't know.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 05:50 AM

I expect upgrade card manufacturers to be alllllll over this very soon, probably with cooling solutions, too.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 06:28 AM

The imac can do the same right? Has anyone put a 2.16 into an imac yet?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 07:12 AM

someone did, don't remember the link though
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 5, 2006, 08:08 AM

yes somebody has, and yes you can. You can even put a 64bit chip in it when memrom comes out (they are pin-for pin compatible.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 08:49 AM

They are pin compatible, but the problem is, in the imacs, the chip is soldered (i think). Which makes it possible for a pro or someone like daystar to change out the chip. and considering the price of pc hardware (after it is no longer new as heck) it shouldn't even cost all that much. Minis are socketed, right? i should check.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 08:58 AM

As far as I know, iMac and mini processors are socketed, the MBP is soldered on.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
They are pin compatible, but the problem is, in the imacs, the chip is soldered (i think). Which makes it possible for a pro or someone like daystar to change out the chip. and considering the price of pc hardware (after it is no longer new as heck) it shouldn't even cost all that much. Minis are socketed, right? i should check.
iMac: Socketed
Mac Mini: Socketed
MacBook Pro - Soldered

The iMac and Mac Mini are both upgradeable, whereas the MacBook Pro is not. Yes, both the consumer Macs will be able to house a Memrom chip, as they are pin to pin compatible, and now doubt someone will try it. The thing is, everyone gets excited at how they can upgrade their Macs, but they fail to take into account that it is very likely that neither the iMac or the Mac Mini will have sufficient cooling systems for the 64 bit chips, and so if you don't want to melt your shiney new Mac, its probably a good idea to not even think about upgrading it (unless some crazy person does it and it turns out it will run fine, but even then, i doubt I would consider it)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 12:28 PM

I think the Japanese will tell us…

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 01:42 PM

i think there'll be some company offering a "send in and upgrade" program in a years time.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

CIA
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 05:36 PM

Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 5, 2006, 08:04 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819111178

From this guy's site, he already upgraded it:

I picked up an Apple Mini Mac for $599 and Fry's Electronics today. It was the low end unit with plans to swap out some of the guts for a mega upgrade that would be an unavailable configuration from Apple.

For those with access to Yonah chips or prefer to purchase from an online retailer but did not have a platform to run it on, this is very cool interim machine to check out.

The motherboard is an Intel Napa. It uses SODIMM and supports up to 2GB of DDR2 ram. It also run in dual channel mode as long as you keep DIMM's matched.

You have no ability to manually adjust memory timing but it will uphold SPD information like a champ.

I did some research into breaking the Apple spirit and getting windows operational and I know it will be possible based on depth of Apple protection.

The case is held together with about 30 plastic clips on the bottom. These clips are pretty tough to get worked apart without hurting the case appearance. The most common method for case removal is a putty knife but this will leave bad scars on the case. I would suggest researching the wire method for case opening. It is very clean and takes the same amount of time.

Once you get the case open it will take you a few minutes of spinning the thing around to figure out how to take it apart. Look for four black screws at the base of the black plastic CD/HD bracket. The four holes are show in this image at all four corners.

You will see a lot of little black connectors at the rear of the CDROM, leave these alone as they can stay on and the whole assembly comes out.

There is two antennas mounted to the top of the CDROM, carefully lift on the smaller one and it pops off, the larger has two clips from the underside that squeeze together and it will lift off very easily.

Once those two parts are clear there is the one more connector at the front of the CDROM you need to be careful with when you lift the drives out. Undo that clip and the drives are free.

You should be looking at the system board, the north bridge and CPU covered by separate heat sinks and the two ram slots. You will need to remove the motherboard to remove the CPU heat sink. The screw is located at the front corner with a taller spacer screw with hex top, it has a chrome finish and should be easy to spot.

Carefully clear the front edge and pull it out. Nothing on the back panel prevents the motherboard from being removed, just be careful of metal shielding.

The south bridge is located on the backside of the motherboard and has a thick piece of thermal interface material stuck to the bottom side of the case, remember this when pulling out or reinstalling the motherboard not to mess it up.

Once the motherboard is out, flip it over and locate the plastic tabs that hold down the CPU bracket. Squeeze them and it will pop off. I highly suggest using one hand to hold heat sink level as it can and will flop to one side with possible damage to core edges. The same goes for reassembly. You will also see a small connector for a thermal diode attached to the underside of the heat sink once you have it loose, remove the clip if you want to remove it completely.

With the CPU exposed, clean off the thermal interface material. It is black in color and feels like tar.

I picked the Core Solo Mac version to show that all models are the same, it would just need a CPU swap. Like all Intel motherboards, memory selection is not an issue as this will accept pretty much any speed or timing SODIMM you put in it. I will be testing with Samsung and 1GB modules as well.

I am very happy to see high definition audio onboard as well as all the other features available on this low end model.

Two mode upgrades may be planned, the HD to 200 GB and DVD-RW drives are a bit less than optimal but will surely get the job done at the current price point of $599

I have a new camera that will be here Monday with an uber macro lens. I will update with PLL and finer board shots.

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 5, 2006, 08:05 PM

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 08:28 PM

i just considerd doing this, but since I need to be able to run FCP easily I dont think ill do it. that 64mb video card would hold me back.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
I expect upgrade card manufacturers to be alllllll over this very soon, probably with cooling solutions, too.
The "upgrade card" manufacturers have been cut out of the business/reduced to selling heatsinks and fans for Apple's enclosures since you can buy the chips (in Retail packaging only right now... but I'd expect to see OEM packaging eventually) at many computer stores.

Originally Posted by inkhead
yes somebody has, and yes you can. You can even put a 64bit chip in it when memrom comes out (they are pin-for pin compatible.
While the chipset (Napa) will support 64-bit Meroms (Santa Rosa doesn't come out until after the Merom launch), there's no guarantee the firmware supports them.

blindemboss
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Agent69
I played with an Intel Mini the other day and found a strange fact.
When I selected "About this Mac", it said it was a "Intel Core Solol.
When I clicked on "More Info" it listed the processor as "Intel Core Duo"

Maybe it's really Duo in the low end Mini, but simply marketed as a single.

cdetdi
Mar 5, 2006, 11:43 PM

No, thats been talked about. The processor type just shows up as Core Duo in the about, but system profiler tells what the chip really is. Maybe the chip types just aren't fully updated in OSX, so any Intel chip of the Core family shows up as Core Duo.
I'd rather be playing ultimate...

1.5G4 15" AlBook

Forum Links
Forum Rules