Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone ever use Dust-Aid DSLR Sensor Cleaner? [JPGS]

Anyone ever use Dust-Aid DSLR Sensor Cleaner? [JPGS]
Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2007, 04:51 PM

I just bought a tin of it and am getting ready to use it. There are two very stubborn pieces of dust on my DSLR's sensor that the ultra-sonic dust removal system isn't removing. Alas I am resorted to touching the sensor to remove dust. I didn't want to mess with the liquid techniques out there.

Dust-Aid

Any experiecnes?

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Nov 5, 2007, 06:49 PM

Done. Surprising result too. I wasted one "sticker" feeling how adhesive they were. Special Canon pads are included because the sensor filter on Canon DSLRs are too thin and can be damaged by the standard pads. The Canon stickers don't seem to be adhesive at all. I took about 5 minutes from opening the camera up to closing the camera.

The before:

and the After:

You can see in the "before" picture the spec that was giving me fits.

I highly recommend this product! It's a bit expensive @ ~ $3.30 per use, but it does what it advertises!

villalobos
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Done. Surprising result too. I wasted one "sticker" feeling how adhesive they were. Special Canon pads are included because the sensor filter on Canon DSLRs are too thin and can be damaged by the standard pads. The Canon stickers don't seem to be adhesive at all. I took about 5 minutes from opening the camera up to closing the camera.

The before:

and the After:

You can see in the "before" picture the spec that was giving me fits.

I highly recommend this product! It's a bit expensive @ ~ $3.30 per use, but it does what it advertises!
Does that thing actually touch the sensor?? I thought you weren't supposed to. At $3.30 a piece, it is a bargain compared to what I would pay to get my D70 cleaned!!

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 08:32 PM

You're not actually touching the sensor, you're touching the hot mirror in front of the sensor.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Nov 5, 2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
Does that thing actually touch the sensor?? I thought you weren't supposed to. At $3.30 a piece, it is a bargain compared to what I would pay to get my D70 cleaned!!
Yeah, it's much cheaper than professional cleaning. If you have pollen or other "welded on" pieces of dust then this will not help and you'll have to use a liquid cleaning technique or professional cleaning. It's good for basic dust.
Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
You're not actually touching the sensor, you're touching the hot mirror in front of the sensor.
Yes, you are actually touching a thin filter over the sensor. The reflex mirror raises when you place the camera in sensor cleaning mode. You're not cleaning a "hot mirror", but a filter over the sensor.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 5, 2007, 11:40 PM

On a semi-related note, any idea what's causing these circles?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 11:58 PM

Bosons.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Nov 6, 2007, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
On a semi-related note, any idea what's causing these circles?

The flash reflecting dust in the air.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2007, 01:41 AM

Yes, you are actually touching a thin filter over the sensor. The reflex mirror raises when you place the camera in sensor cleaning mode. You're not cleaning a "hot mirror", but a filter over the sensor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_mirror

Also, the old D30 and D60 cameras had glass hot mirrors, not polyester, maybe they went cheap on the digital rebel.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Nov 6, 2007, 03:38 AM

I have to change lenses quite often - so there is always some dust on the sensor.
Sensor swabs and a few drops of Eclipse work best for me.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 03:54 PM

I use a Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly. Works flawlessly every time.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Nov 6, 2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Hot mirror - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the old D30 and D60 cameras had glass hot mirrors, not polyester, maybe they went cheap on the digital rebel.
OK, sensor filter=hot mirror.

You should read the dust-aid web site.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2007, 04:12 PM

Thanks for this post, I had no idea this was something that was done. Now I know!

-Owl

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Nov 6, 2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post
Thanks for this post, I had no idea this was something that was done. Now I know!

-Owl
I know I appreciate threads like this as well, that's why I did it.

I found out about this product doing an all day search about sensor cleaning techniques. There's a lot of positive things said about it on many sites.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2007, 01:16 AM

You should read the dust-aid web site.
I think they might be full of it when they say that Canon SLRs have below standard coatings.

Looks like a great product nonetheless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules