Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Traveling Europe: Advice?

Traveling Europe: Advice? (Page 2)
Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Well I think we're going on Iceland Air? (I haven't booked it myself.) I know my girl said that the airline is newly running flights from Toronto to Europe which stop in Iceland... so I assume it's a new tourism thing?

I'm excited about Reykjavik anyway...

I think we're probably going to do the train thing. We may rent a car at one point or another. I've been getting some advice from a couple friends to go further south into Italy and visit Sorrento and the Isle of Ischia. Anyone here been around that area?

And all the advice/help has been spectacular guys. If you ever come to Canada I've got some ideas for you.
International flights through Reykjavik airport are very rare but do happen from time to time. You're just lucky to be landing in Reykjavik since you're saving yourselves some boring bus transportation from Keflavik (besides, arriving from an international flight ten minutes walking distance from the city center is just cool )

Where are you staying in Reykjavik?

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Also, all countries except Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands, Scandinavia and the UK have a toll system for their highways.
Fixed further.

Btw, if you are going anywhere in Germany, why go to Munich of all places? It is a mind-numbingly dull city to visit (unless it is the Oktoberfest). If I had to go anywhere urban in Germany it would be Berlin by a long chalk.

Edit: Personally, if I had to go somewhere in Bavaria, I would visit Dachau for the day rather than Munich. The town itself is lovely, and there is the option of the (admittedly harrowing) experience of visiting the concentration camp. Munich is only good for Bierkellers and meals consisting solely of large portions of meat.

Edit 2: As another alternative as a place to go on a route from Frankfurt to Vienna, Prague in the Czech Republic is also a much better place to visit than Munich.
( Last edited by JKT; Mar 19, 2008 at 09:00 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 10:01 PM

You know, those are good suggestions.

Our plans are constantly in flux. We're now going from Frankfurt directly to Paris, for a couple days. Were were thing going to go through Switzerland, but now she got it in her head to hit up some wine country in Bordeaux (although I'm not sure what it'll be like in May).

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why we're going to Munich. I think originally she wanted to sleep in a castle. Yes that's right, she's obsessed with finding a little castle in the countryside to sleep in.

She likes things like that. We stayed in an ice hotel in Quebec last winter. I had the flu and damn near froze my ass off in a -40 sleeping bag for the night. It's all about the "odd experiences" apparently.

Why, you got a castle room for rent?

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why we're going to Munich. I think originally she wanted to sleep in a castle. Yes that's right, she's obsessed with finding a little castle in the countryside to sleep in.

She likes things like that. We stayed in an ice hotel in Quebec last winter. I had the flu and damn near froze my ass off in a -40 sleeping bag for the night. It's all about the "odd experiences" apparently.

Why, you got a castle room for rent?
Ummm. Yep.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2008, 11:24 AM

Hahahaha... England is gonna be on our next trip I think.

Apparently there's something called the Romantic Road or something like that in Germany... sigh. Sounds like more debt to me.

As well: looks like you people were right; we're not flying into Reykjavik after all. I guess we're gonna bus it from the other city to there, but holy **** is Reykjavik expensive! We're finding flippin' hostels for $100 a night, what the hell!

greg

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2008, 11:34 AM

I wouldn’t exactly call Keflavík a ‘city’ (13,000 inhabitants).

But yes, Iceland is expensive as all hell and a good chunk of its surrounding areas. $100 per night in a hostel isn’t all that outrageous in Scandinavia, though, assuming it’s a double room and not just two beds in a sixteen-bed room or something. Generally the difference in prices (and quality) between hostels and hotels isn’t as big as most other places. Checking prices for Copenhagen, I get about the same price here for double or family rooms, or about $25 per bed per night in a shared room (with anywhere from four to sixteen beds).

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2008, 01:19 PM

As it's your first trip to Europe, Paris is good, forget Munich. Again, I'd take the train to Paris, because driving there is time-consuming unless you're into seeing all the countryside on the way, like Alsace. Trouble is, the more time spent driving, the less time in Paris. Save the countryside for a later trip to Europe. Spend your time making day trips around Paris, like Versailles, or Monet's house in Giverny (it'll be beautiful in the spring.) Go down to Chinon or visit the castles all around.

About driving: If you're comfortable driving in big cities like NYC, then you'd be OK driving in Europe. If you consider yourself more of a relaxed small-town driver, forget it.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2008, 01:44 PM

Paris is wonderful - is Italy still on you agenda? You know, my advice, stick to a small list of places, and keep the travel reasonable.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2008, 02:50 PM

To update the schedule:

Iceland – Reykjavik for 2 days, then to the Blue Lagoon and Keflavík before we fly out the next morning

Fly into Frankfurt, go straight to Paris

Paris for 3 days

Venice for a day + overnight (might take this out, depending on how it works out, but I'd love to see Venice)

Florence for 2 days

Rome for 3 days

Sorrento/Isle of Ischia for 3 days

Fly to Vienna for 3 days, see opera (aches from my line of credit)

Fly to Munich, rent car, 3 days to drive to Fussen, up through the Romantic Road, stay at a Castle Hotel, and drive into Frankfurt the next day for flight back to Canada.

greg

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2008, 02:55 PM

Sounds like you've got about four times the number of things going on from what it'd need to be to get a feel for places, but it's probably a decent enough bouquet of assorted places to let you decide which place you're gonna return to later, when you actually want to *visit*.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 09:47 PM

Heh heh heh. Well I don't like staying a long time in one place, but neither does she. We're kinda both more of the jet-setting type in that respect. I would've ideally liked about 5 days in each place, but we didn't have the time so I decided to get a little sample of each (with a emphasis on Italy of course)... just enough to see a mix of the obvious tourist traps and what else is possible, and move on.

I'm really looking forward to the drive up through Germany though. It won't be too too rushed in 3 days, (it's not really that far at all, considering), and the castle at the end of it will be fantastic. I'm considering blowing the pocketbook and getting the wild boar if it's in season....

greg

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2008, 10:31 PM

Three days to drive through Germany is certainly not rushed by European (okay, Scandinavian) standards: most people around here do it in one.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 08:05 AM

Hahaha! Touché!

We'll, we're going from Munich-Fussen-Frankfurt up through to the Romantic Road, so from what I understand thus far there won't be much autobahn styles and much more of a slower-paced feel. Plus of course we'll want to stop and check out the many sites along the way, which should slow things down nicely.

greg

OreoCookie
Apr 8, 2008, 10:50 AM

That's quite a program you have there
From Munich to Füssen, you can take the Autobahn -- which is usually as fast as taking Landstraße (= slower version). It's a two-, two-and-a-half hour drive.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Apr 8, 2008 at 12:00 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 12:22 PM

Since you are very young and your girlfriend is probably younger than you, do not bother with museum you will not enjoyed them. Go to touristy sights and climb the Effiel tower, and you will be able to get drunk at a low cost with house wine. You probably will have ton of fun.

My sister and her friend rented a car and liked it but they were not in a hurry.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
Since you are very young and your girlfriend is probably younger than you, do not bother with museum you will not enjoyed them. Go to touristy sights and climb the Effiel tower, and you will be able to get drunk at a low cost with house wine. You probably will have ton of fun.

My sister and her friend rented a car and liked it but they were not in a hurry.
Yeah, that wasn’t condescending or judgmental at all.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
Since you are in menopause and probably don't have a partner, do not bother with a good wine or beer as you will not enjoy them. Stay at home, watch French romantic dramas, and enjoy the fine smack of a good liquor. It won't be fun, but at least you won't remember the bad times.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 04:28 PM

Wow, I'm glad I decided to check this thread for first time in days.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 06:12 PM

Actually, my girlfriend is in menopause.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Since you are in menopause and probably don't have a partner, do not bother with a good wine or beer as you will not enjoy them. Stay at home, watch French romantic dramas, and enjoy the fine smack of a good liquor. It won't be fun, but at least you won't remember the bad times.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2008, 01:35 PM

Quick Question:

I use an electric razor (Braun 4775) and I kinda wanted to bring it on the trip. The plug-in does say 100-240 v~/ac...I have an adaptor for the European plugs. It should work over there, right?

greg

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2008, 03:42 PM

'course.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2008, 05:31 PM

ShortcutToMoncton, if you're at loss for stuff to do during your short stay in Iceland, you're more than welcome to call me for advice.

PB2K
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 04:30 AM

i just arrived from an open air festival near Ostrava in Czech Republic. In short, I visited all these places in just 4 days :

The Hague->Prague ->Ostrava->Brno->Budapest->Prague->Dresden->Berlin->Amsterdam

Dresden and Budapest are my favorites

budapest is famous for it's museum like thermae (hot water baths)

this is gellert, but you should experience Rudas too
( Last edited by PB2K; May 5, 2008 at 04:49 AM. )
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Forum Links
Forum Rules