Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Simpsons tonight!

The Simpsons tonight!
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 26, 2007, 11:07 AM

Goin to see it 7:30 EST. MMMM, Donuts.

ice

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 11:09 AM

Adult Swim seems to have some weird gimmick going tonight as well.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

yellow athf I ****in love meatwad and carl, I wish they were my neighbors.
ice

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 11:49 AM

I love how Adult Swim has tried these crazy ideas and turned them into viable commercial vehicles.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 12:09 PM

Damn! I was hoping to snag some of the advance screening tickets, but no dice. Enjoy! It's gonna rock.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2007, 01:08 PM

Might be going to see a 12:01am showing with a bunch of friends. Depends on how awake I am.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 26, 2007, 01:44 PM

Don't worry I'll record it in my head.
ice

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 01:47 PM

Ahahaha

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2007, 02:59 PM

Damn, it looks like there won't be a midnight screening in Montréal

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 03:03 PM

Update: probably seeing the midnight showing tonight. Woohoo.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 26, 2007, 09:47 PM

It was pretty funny. I won't spoil it for anyone.
ice

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 09:56 PM

Saw it Wednesday (your Tuesday ). Well worth it.

Oh and we already had a thread on this

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 26, 2007, 10:26 PM

I "command+Fed" the word "simpsons" on the first page.

ice

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2007, 02:11 AM

DAMN it was funny. No Dark Knight teaser, but oh well. Great movie.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2007, 09:08 AM

Glad to hear it's good. I was a little skeptical that they couldn't hold an episode for 1.5 hours.
We're going to go watch it tomorrow night.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2007, 12:01 PM

Saw the film yesterday and it was great. There was alot of people in the afternoon session and everyone seemed to enjoy it.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 02:25 PM

good movie; 3 out 4 stars. much better than the last 3 or so seasons of TV shows too so that made me happy.

and, i got a batman teaser before my showing. different than the clip in the thread posted on here about it.

edit: (that link has two clips now, didn't earlier. i saw the first clip in that link in the other thread).

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2007, 12:09 AM

Definitely worth seeing.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2007, 12:15 AM

i saw bart's wiener. not cool.

i don't know what i was expecting, but it wasn't what i expected.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2007, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post

i don't know what i was expecting, but it wasn't what i expected.
I thought it was hilarious that they drew it very "kindergarten sketch-ish" and silly-looking on purpose. I wasn't expecting that either, but I lawled.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2007, 12:34 AM

It was only reported on the internet a week in advance, so it kind of ruined the joke. But it was definitely funny.

Seen it a second time now, and it's still funny. They did a good job on it. As good as can be expected anyway.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2007, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
Actually the correct term is "doodle"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2007, 01:13 AM

Guys, it sucked. 3/10 stars.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2007, 01:14 AM

Coming from you, that's a good of a recommendation as anything

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2007, 01:28 AM

Okay, dude, whatever. I loved The Simpsons - Seasons 3-9. If you still like the show's recent seasons then you'll be happy with the film. If you're a Family Guy fan, you'll be happy with the film. I can tell you the first 30 minutes are decent. But those who say the film is great. . . that's far, far from the truth.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Okay, dude, whatever. I loved The Simpsons - Seasons 3-9. If you still like the show's recent seasons then you'll be happy with the film. If you're a Family Guy fan, you'll be happy with the film. I can tell you the first 30 minutes are decent. But those who say the film is great. . . that's far, far from the truth.
I haven't liked the past few seasons and I hate Family Guy and yet I enjoyed it. Definitely worth seeing again.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Cipher13
Jul 29, 2007, 02:22 AM

This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2007, 02:30 AM

Wow, I loved it. I thought it was classic Simpsons humor, with a smidge of raunchiness thrown in to compliment that—it is the movies, after all, not prime time Fox. What is everyone not liking about it exactly? Because I'm ready to see it again!

Cipher13
Jul 29, 2007, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
Wow, I loved it. I thought it was classic Simpsons humor, with a smidge of raunchiness thrown in to compliment that—it is the movies, after all, not prime time Fox. What is everyone not liking about it exactly? Because I'm ready to see it again!
I simply didn't find it funny... not even slightly.

I chuckled at the mickey-mouse bit, and the "devil's curly hair" comment, and that was it... and it was more out of sympathy than anything else.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 29, 2007, 03:10 AM

aw cipher you're always doom and gloom.

I liked it when everyone ran out of the bar and the church, and switched locales.
ice

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2007, 07:56 AM

Bar and church switch was classic.

I think Cipher needs a hot chocolate.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2007, 11:17 AM

I hated it too.

I used to be the biggest Simpsons superfan you would ever meet. I was a fan of the Life in Hell comics years before the Simpsons existed, and I remember excitedly watching the Tracy Ulman show specifically because I had read that Matt Groening was going to debut animated shorts on the show. I taped every episode of the show from the very beginning til about season 11. I had catalogs of tapes and used to watch them over and over. My friends and I had a 4 day Simpsons marathon at one point. I own about $2,500 worth of Simspons merchandise. I am (or was) a superfan.

Here's what I think was wrong with the movie.

It was nothing but slapstick humor and nonsense. There was no social satire and no subtle wit. They put the ridiculous knob on 10 and ran with it for an hour and a half.

In my opinion the Simpsons is at it's best when it is toned way down. When the show first started, the plots, while not entirely realistic, where grounded in reality. The show was a parody of life in the United States, our consumer driven society, social stereotyoes, and our societies embracing and acceptance of mediocrity. It was multi-layered, subtle and clever.

The movie was none of these things. It was nothing but slapstick humor. There was no social commentary. There was no subtle wit. There was nothing but jokes revolving around how stupid Homer was, and watching Homer get hurt.

Plus, everything had already been done. Simpsons did it! Simpsons did it!

Homer adopts a ridiculous pet. Check.
Homer does something to completely screw the entire town. Check.
A polluted lake leads to a mutant with many eyes. Check.
Marge gets fed up with homer and leaves. Check.
Bart embraces the Flanders and realizes his owns families deficiencies. Check.
The Simpson family goes on the run to some offbeat location. Check.
Lisa falls in love with a like minded boy. Check.
Homer has a spirit journey. Check.

Also, and I know I'm going to get flak for these comments, but since when can you drive a motorcycle upside down? Why would poop mutate a squirrel? Ok, I know it's a cartoon, but sometimes you can just take it too far. These things simply are not believable at all.

I honestly believe that if you got in a time machine, and showed this movie to Matt Greoning in 1990 he would hate the movie. I can guarantee that he would.
( Last edited by ort888; Jul 29, 2007 at 11:32 AM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2007, 12:00 PM

not believable!?

you mean like that time when homer fell inside springfield gorge and still lived? maybe you mean like the time krusty tried to fake his own death and missed his trampoline when he jumped out the plane and fell on a rock? or when homer hid behind a bookcase only to jump to another dimension? when mr burns was a vampire? or was it when homer was a truck driver who had a machine that drove the truck for him? im trying to think of the most BELIEVABLE situation i could think of for this CARTOON!!!

i had a great time watching the movie. ive been a simpsons fan since i was in the 3rd grade...im now 25yrs old and granted the show has been lackluster for the last 7 years, so much so i dont think ive seen an episode for the last 3.5yrs, but the movie was great.

there was political commentary (overbearing gov't, environmental issues, and going mad with power), social commentary (could be seen in homer and marges marriage being put to the limit, a family sticking together/and not, where religion plays in these lives, and giving people seconded chances), and it had a good ol simpsons traditional story line to boot.

i couldn't believe i laughed as much as i did...i was saw it in the theaters just to pay homage to a great television program that i grew up with and didnt expect to laugh especially cuz it was a late showing (11:20pm) and i had a total of 6hrs sleep in the last three days but i was pleasantly surprised. if you like the simpsons from season 2-11 you will really like this movie, i had a great time.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2007, 06:28 PM

The whole plot for the movie was social commentary. How the hell did you miss it? Not to mention the not-so-subtle stabs at the current US government, environmentalists, religion etc. Heck, even Bart's doodle was a poke at the ridiculous puritan views that have set rules for what is and what isn't allowed in movies and on TV.

Sure, there was plenty of slapstick to go around, but most of it was really well done.

Simpsons did it? For crying out loud, if Simpsons haven't done it already in 20 years it would greatly surprise me. Why do you think so many have tired of the last few seasons?

Heck, I'm with iRez... I haven't watched new Simpsons in years, so maybe I just haven't got the Simpson-fatigue that disables one from enjoying this movie.

And yes, you can ride a motorcycle upside down (as in the ball of death that is, you'd have to ride mighty fast to ride that dome )

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2007, 10:12 PM

I would probably have seen this movie, but putting in Bart's weiner (doodle) kills it for me. There is no reason to do something like that. A big fat thumbs down from me for this one.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2007, 10:28 PM

Are you kidding me? People actually get offended from a .5 second glimpse of a yellow cartoon doodle? WTF is the world coming to?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2007, 10:29 PM

For the record, that scene got the best laugh in both screenings I attended. Shock and horror!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2007, 10:41 PM

I found it funny, but I did not ROTFL. I only LOLed.

I'm so tired of the "save the planet" plots. The ending was... how does one put it? Lame.

That was about the only real original thing in it.

What the heck are they supposed to do after 17 seasons?

Oh. Some of the animation was spectacular comapred to their typical TV episodes.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2007, 11:33 PM

Yawn! I hardly laughed. I think the Simpsons has gotten a little long in the tooth. It seems there's nothing left for them to do... the movie was just a rehashing of the same old crap.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2007, 12:46 AM

It was cute. Yeah, it wasn't so different from a long episode, but that just means that it's funny!
(I watched on online, which may have contributed to it feeling episodey)

(speaking of which, there was a silhouette of somebody on the left side of the screen at one point. Then, a little later, there was a silhouette of a suspiciously Homer-like head on the right side. I think the Homer one was from the movie, but the curly-headed person on the left was from the bootleg? It was kinda confusing )

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2007, 01:59 AM

i don't think they like us talking about bootleggy stuff yo.
ice

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2007, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Are you kidding me? People actually get offended from a .5 second glimpse of a yellow cartoon doodle? WTF is the world coming to?
I agree with the "WTF is the world coming to?" question, but I'm pretty sure it's the other way around... since when was showing cartoon nudity okay on the big screen where millions of kids will be watching? I know it was only .5 seconds, but it's just inching its way closer to showing more and more. I get it, you liked it, but I don't think it is appropriate.
( Last edited by torsoboy; Jul 30, 2007 at 03:16 AM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2007, 03:47 AM

OMG! Won't SOMEONE THINK OF TEH CHILDREN!!!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2007, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
I agree with the "WTF is the world coming to?" question, but I'm pretty sure it's the other way around... since when was showing cartoon nudity okay on the big screen where millions of kids will be watching? I know it was only .5 seconds, but it's just inching its way closer to showing more and more. I get it, you liked it, but I don't think it is appropriate.
I thought about that aspect for a brief period of time, and I am sure some people (fundamentalist Christian types) are up in arms over it. I don't know if it makes any sense for them to be offended, though. For one thing, the rating board passed judgment and made this a PG13 film; parents knew it would have some racy elements. Secondly, it was a pretty silly depiction. Thirdly, children old enough to know what that scene was depicting are either boys or girls who probably had seen something similar in potty training books or "How was I born?" kinds of books. I don't think there's anything to be indignant about here, unless you want to censor those books. Heck, I vaguely recall a Sesame Street episode that had a montage about people around the world taking baths with full frontal nudity of adults and kids.

Cipher13
Jul 30, 2007, 04:26 AM

They also have plausible deniability... they could simply say he was holding his hand down there, as it wasn't exactly a detailed picture.

Anyway, nudity doesn't bother me, nor should it anybody else... but it's just another indication of how awful the movie was. Resorting to nudity for humour?

Yeah, no thanks.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2007, 04:46 AM

The joke works on many levels. Shock to some, slapstick for most, but it's also tinged with satire as I mentioned before. Guess that was lost on those sourpusses who was determined to hate the movie no matter what.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
The joke works on many levels. Shock to some, slapstick for most, but it's also tinged with satire as I mentioned before. Guess that was lost on those sourpusses who was determined to hate the movie no matter what.
Humor is highly subjective. It's silly to suggest that someone's inability to get it is based on a lack of perception or preconceived notion. The joke in question is one of the few bits where I laughed out loud. It was funny... but by no means was it a stroke of genius either.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my disappointment lies in the fact that the movie didn't "bring it". The whole point of taking a 30 min. TV cartoon to the big screen is to take it up a notch. This was just an overly long TV episode.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but my disappointment lies in the fact that the movie didn't "bring it". The whole point of taking a 30 min. TV cartoon to the big screen is to take it up a notch. This was just an overly long TV episode.
Which is why the Family Guy movie wasn't as good as a mediocre episode.

Maybe, just maybe, 6 years back when they still had some originals idea left a movie might have been a good move.

I still refuse to pay 9 bucks to see a long Simpsons episode, and I consider myself among the largest Simpsons fans on Earth.

Just the previews with Pres Swartz. make me cringe. The Simpsons were about SUBTLE satire, that's something they lost a long time ago and will never regain.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2007, 01:45 PM

Bart's doodle wasn't at all sexual, I can't see how anyone could be offended by it. In fact the joke was exactly that people would be offended by it, when they shouldn't be.

Also I can't believe you're complaining about them not doing enough subtlety on a grand enough scale. Think about that for a second.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 30, 2007, 01:53 PM

I saw it last night. It was pretty funny. I'd heard people singing the Spider Pig song the past few weeks and it bugged the crap out of me because I had no idea what it was from, but when I saw it in the movie I laughed a lot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules