Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Any Mac IT people thinking about 10.5 Leopard upgrade/transition

View Poll Results: What will you do with the Macs you're responsible for? (50+ user environments only)
Poll Options:
Heck yea, upgrading them all next Friday night when I get back from the release party! 1 votes (14.29%)
Planning to upgrade all/most machines within a month of release. 1 votes (14.29%)
I'm going to test a few systems out, and roll it out a little slower. 4 votes (57.14%)
WHOA.... relax... Tiger is just fine.... no reason to upgrade at all. 0 votes (0%)
Would if I could... got no budget. 1 votes (14.29%)
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll
Any Mac IT people thinking about 10.5 Leopard upgrade/transition
chipchen
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2007, 01:18 AM

Just curious, how many people in IT responsible for Macs... (I'm responsible for about 100 Macs) are considering the upgrade/transition to 10.5 Leopard?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 01:36 AM

my schools IT department took a month to test tiger out against the music/other music related apps we have. they'll probably do the same with leopard. so if i were one of them, i'd pick an option between 2 and 3.

Alex

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2007, 01:45 AM

I'm responsible for 300 Macs. We will be going to Leopard but not until Summer '08. We don't do major upgrades in the middle of the school year. Unfortunately, we're getting 150 new iMacs during winter break which means I now have to maintain an Intel Tiger image along with my PowerPC Tiger image in the meantime.

Well, some will go to Leopard sooner, myself included. If they don't teach on the student network, then they can get upgraded sooner, maybe in a month or two. Otherwise, we try to keep faculty and student machines somewhat in sync.
Vandelay Industries

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I'm responsible for 300 Macs. We will be going to Leopard but not until Summer '08. We don't do major upgrades in the middle of the school year. Unfortunately, we're getting 150 new iMacs during winter break which means I now have to maintain an Intel Tiger image along with my PowerPC Tiger image in the meantime.

Well, some will go to Leopard sooner, myself included. If they don't teach on the student network, then they can get upgraded sooner, maybe in a month or two. Otherwise, we try to keep faculty and student machines somewhat in sync.
If you're getting iMacs during the Winter break, they may ship with Leopard already on them and therefore not be able to go back to Tiger. Unless of course, you're getting a previous model

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2007, 11:34 AM

Actually, we already have them. They're sitting in a closet until our new floor in the building is done being remodeled. So, no worries there.

Also, if we did receive them after Leopard was installed, there shouldn't be a problem downgrading them to Tiger unless Apple decides to update the iMacs again in such a short period of time.
Vandelay Industries

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2007, 09:11 PM

My school will probably wait until next summer when the new Macs with Leopard are shipped in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules