Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > So the new iPhone's starting to leak

So the new iPhone's starting to leak
Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2009, 03:52 AM

Thanks to a recent iTunes update we know Apple is working on the next-generation iPhone. Because of the identifier 'iPhone2,1' many are guessing it's going to be a major upgrade considering after the original 'iPhone1,1' the 3G was just called 'iPhone1,2'.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/02/12/...ration-iphone/

And now first case pics are leaking. This doesn't look very revolutionary though. Matte black metal back. Same button positions. Same size. I like the idea of giving it some textur though. The glossy 3G can be a bit slippery.

Obviously Apple always has several designs floating around so this could just be an idea that never makes it to the market. Somehow I actually hope so. Although I know Apple wants metal enclosures for their whole green thing, signal reception is bound to be better with a plastic case. And I actually like my iPhone 3G case.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 04:44 AM

Um - I'm no materials expert, but that doesn't necessarily look like metal to me.

Big question for me is: Will they stick to a June release?

My contract is up in early April...

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2009, 05:25 AM

It better have 20 firewire ports, a 50 megapixel camera, plus a cam on the front for videoconferencing. Otherwise everyone will say it's "crippled."

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 09:14 AM

Heres the inside of a 3G case back

The plastic looks the same to me, just the finish of the outside that is different.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 11:18 AM

Well there goes my hope of a better camera. Oh well... I really wonder what they can add to it, aside from a few software features it already has everything any of my customers are looking for.

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2009, 11:42 AM

I'm with you on getting a better camera, that's for sure. Oh well, nothing to do but wait and see.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 12:18 PM

What Apple should be doing is partnering with a second level camera maker like Fujifilm or something and getting a good not designed specifically for cell phones system going. I mean many of those new cameras are super tiny with real zoom and half the components are already in the iPhone, I'm sure it wouldn't add that much size to the iPhone to include a real quality camera not just high mega pixels but a GOOD image sensor! And optical zoom would be awesome.

Pretz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2009, 07:55 AM

lots of people say it will also have copy/paste. i would just die for that. i need it all the time but can't have it.
"A rich man's joke is always funny."

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2009, 05:53 PM

I have copy and paste on mine.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
me too hahaha
MPB 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
2TB Raid 1 setup, Wacom 12x19, 24" ACD, Bose SS
FCS 2, Shake, Adobe CS4, Lightroom > Aperture

Pretz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2009, 09:38 PM

i mean un-jailbroken
"A rich man's joke is always funny."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2009, 01:30 PM

Apparently the iPhone is pretty laughable in Japan where their cell phones are lightyears ahead of anything we have in the states.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2009, 01:46 PM

^ In terms of features, NOT usability.

The article you're (probably) basing your comment upon:

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...9/02/27/144256

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2009, 04:43 PM

Everyone has a better cell system that the US.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Apparently the iPhone is pretty laughable in Japan where their cell phones are lightyears ahead of anything we have in the states.
Apparently not.

AppleInsider | Japanese "hate" for iPhone all a big mistake

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2009, 05:24 PM

AT&T loose lips give new iPhone information

• New iPhone announcement around mid-June (duh)
• New iPhone will be faster and have a more seamless experience unmatched by any device (could be just talking about 3.0, but we think it’s also a new iPhone)
• U-Verse iPhone application; will allow control of your home DVR (play, pause, rewind, etc.)
• The annual iPhone launch is “becoming a tradition.”
• Nothing official is being confirmed, but they said that people should prep for an exciting time this summer.
• AT&T is said to be working with Apple to create a unified product with an unparalleled experience across all their products and services.
• Apple’s 3.0 software should tell us where the iPhone platform is going… uh, k?
• They said customers shouldn’t need to choose from AT&T’s high-end devices because of features, they should choose based on preferences. The gap in capability should be filled with the new iPhone. Ok, bets on slide out QWERTY, autofocus camera, video sharing, blah blah?
• Seems like the higher speed HSDPA (7.2Mbps) is being hinted at too which should confirm the earlier rumors of the new Infineon chipset.
• The $99 3G netbook will start selling this summer, and the first one won’t be a Windows OS.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2009, 11:19 PM

Natively or just within a certain app?

Although with iPhone 3.0 including cut and paste, I suppose it's less of an issue now...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2009, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Natively or just within a certain app?

Although with iPhone 3.0 including cut and paste, I suppose it's less of an issue now...
Mine WAS jailbroken. Don't know why, but I never needed cut and paste. And I un-jailbroke it because of stability issues. The springboard crashed several times a week, at least. No matter what I did to it.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2009, 08:14 AM

Mine WAS jailbroken. Don't know why, but I never needed cut and paste. And I un-jailbroke it because of stability issues. The springboard crashed several times a week, at least. No matter what I did to it.
I'm so confused. Your jailbroken iPhone had cut-and-paste functionality, or your previous comment was sarcastic in that you didn't want cut-and-paste?

Sorry for my stupidity, but it is 8:15 in the morning...way before my wakeup time.

Also, WRT derails - asking nicely to stop is a better way to handle things than reporting and being rude/sarcastic. Just sayin'.
( Last edited by vmarks; Mar 24, 2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: topic.)

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
• The $99 3G netbook will start selling this summer, and the first one won’t be a Windows OS.
Hmmm... isn't that more interesting than failed VP candidates?

Couldn't you call a slightly larger iPhone with a slide-out QWERTY keyboard a netbook? Then if you don't like how big it is for making actual phone calls, you attach a bluetooth headset....

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2009, 08:42 AM

I'll be interested to see what AT&T's netbook is running. Seems like attempts to make a user-friendly Linux distro haven't been met with very welcoming arms. As someone who knows plenty about Linux, I still got sick of it and switched back to Windows on my first netbook (an eeePC 4G 701).

Also: I wouldn't call an iPhone with a slide-out keyboard a netbook. There's a big difference between a mobile device that has limited computer-like functionality and a netbook, which is a regular laptop that does everything any other full computer can do.

Tedeks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2009, 09:05 AM

It will be interesting to see when they announce this, maybe at WWDC this year. I'm looking forward to better battery life and video chat. Although video chat might get old over time, it would definitely be cool up front. I felt like the 3g announcement was a bit of a let down, so hopefully this one will be better.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
What Apple should be doing is partnering with a second level camera maker like Fujifilm or something and getting a good not designed specifically for cell phones system going. .
Not me, why increase the cost for a component I hardly need, want or use. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I didn't buy the iPhone to take pictures.
~Mike

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2009, 11:16 AM

Plus, the iPhone's camera is pretty fantastic, if you ask me. It takes excellent pictures for uploading to the 'net.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2009, 02:59 PM

The iPhone takes pretty decent photos for what i usually do with em...posting pics on the net or emailing to friends. It'd be lots nicer if it got another MP and flash but I personally could careless.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2009, 05:51 PM

If I could drop one feature on the iPhone it would be the camera. I find it's not good enough to replace my Canon (zoom, flash, etc.). And I have no need for 'poor' pics. To me it's just added weight/cost. Now if the camera were on the front and could actually be used for video calls it might be useful to me.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2009, 05:56 PM

I find that interesting, only because I use my iPhone's camera MORE frequently than my new Canon SD1000. The pictures aren't as good quality, but since I'm mostly just uploading them for my LiveJournal anyhow, I don't need higher than 1MP.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2009, 06:20 PM

I guess that's the thing. I don't need pics for a blog and I don't send pics MMS style. I take pics for my personal album. Memories. I want high quality and couldn't care less about file size or having to carry an extra gadget around with me.

But as I said, a simple camera for video calls OTOH is something I'd find intriguing.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2009, 07:09 PM

That would be REALLY cool...but how do you envision its implementation with something similar to the current iPhone's form factor?

Personally, if anything, a rotating camera (or two cameras, like what's on the new NDSi) would be cool.

What about a decent (2MP or something) camera for picture taking, and a less decent (VGA or 1.3MP) camera used for video chat?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Mar 24, 2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I didn't buy the iPhone to take pictures.
No you are not alone. That's the problem when manufacturers add gimmicky features to their products...people start to expect the extra features to be perfect as if the iPhone was intended to be used for professional photo shoots.

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
but since I'm mostly just uploading them for my LiveJournal anyhow, I don't need higher than 1MP.
I believe most people would post their camera phone images on the internet so there really doesn't need to be high quality in the first place. Also I have a friend who is a professional photographer and she takes great images with her camera phone so maybe it's less of an issue about the camera phone.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2009, 12:48 PM

On video calling I think they might do it, but I think you'll be pretty underwhelmed with it. Rogers up here has video calling on their higher end phones, though to be honest, most people don't really use it. A few customers were excited when it first came out. But now they've really shifted away from pushing it and are moving more to pushing iPhones and Blackberries and messaging phones... why? Cause even in person when you talk to someone half the time you don't look at them.

I'd like to see the camera in the iPhone go at least to 5mp. Odds are we're more likely to see 3.2 but 5 would be nice. The camera gets good colour and if you've got a real steady hand it's great. Problem is that it blurs way too easily.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2009, 12:56 PM

Hmmmm, iChat Mobile. I'd never use it but it might work for those who want it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2009, 02:01 PM

I'd like to see the camera in the iPhone go at least to 5mp. Odds are we're more likely to see 3.2 but 5 would be nice. The camera gets good colour and if you've got a real steady hand it's great. Problem is that it blurs way too easily.
So what do you think that a higher-megapixel sensor, with even smaller pixels and thus MUCH lower light reception per pixel, is going to do to the blurring problem?

Hint for the camera newbie: Lower light per pixel automatically means inferior performance in low light, which equates to longer exposure times.

What on earth do people need high-resolution camera on their phone for, and why the **** would anybody in their right mind trade a decent 1.3MP camera for a spectacularly useless 5MP one?

If you need an actual camera, USE ONE.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2009, 05:55 PM

People want better cameras on their phone so that if something memorable happens that they want a picture of, they know they can get a good one without stopping to think about whether they brought their point-&-shoot.

I used to like the idea of a big-zoom, lots-of-manual-features camera for when I know in advance I want to take fancy pictures, and a compact P&S for the rest of the time. But I always have a phone with me, so I want that to obviate the need for carrying the P&S.

This is the same reason people wanted Apple to stick an iPod into a phone.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2009, 06:09 PM

I agree with most of that, but there's an important difference. The iPod in the iPhone doesn't suck. It's as good as any touch or nano. The camera OTOH does suck. At least compared to my Canon.

The iPhone cam would need to be way better for me to consider leaving my camera at home when I go on a trip.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2009, 03:43 AM

Why are we comparing cell phones to digital cameras? The new 25 megapixel Nikons coming out of course are going to be better than the 8 megapixel Samsungs on the market. They are two totally different items. It's like saying a Nikon is piece of **** because you can't get email on it. Please.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2009, 05:16 PM

MP != measure of cam quality

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2009, 06:03 PM

Yearly iPhone updates are going to keep a lot of people on AT&T contracts indefinitely. That'll be fun.

I was going to get a 3G, but seems waiting an extra couple of months might be worthwhile.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2009, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
MP != measure of cam quality
Nothing to do with the lens then?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2009, 07:30 AM

For the science- and maths-impaired: "!=" means "NOT equal".

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2009, 07:53 AM

I don't think, at least with current technology, there's a lot you can do to make a camera in a phone much better than what's in the iPhone, unless you want something bulkier.

Sure, you can get a full-featured P&S the size of an Altoids tin, but try fitting all those electronic components into the slim case of an iPhone, and you start to have problems.

The only situations where the iPhone's camera seems to suffer are low-light, indoor type settings. You can fix this by adding a flash, but adding a flash will take up space, require more electronics, and - most importantly, in a cell phone - suck battery life like whoa. Using a flash on a fully-charged pocket P&S will drain the battery very quickly, sometimes in less than an hour. Do you really want something like that on your phone?

Maybe what would be better is a flash add-on component that has its own battery and plugs into the dock connector on the iPhone. Trying to put a P&S-grade camera into the iPhone, however, doesn't even seem physically possible right now.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2009, 11:23 AM

The iPhone already has most of the components that make that point and shoot camera work, all it needs to add in is the camera part and the flash. As for battery life, the iPhone gets great battery and odds are day to day people wouldn't constantly be taking photos, it'd be more of a quality shot in the one off situation. As well there are some camera phones that can output really good photos. If they need more room for the camera then use a bigger camera in the thing. It's not like the iPhone is trying to be the absolute thinnest 3G device.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2009, 12:54 PM

The iPhone already has most of the components that make that point and shoot camera work, all it needs to add in is the camera part and the flash. As for battery life, the iPhone gets great battery and odds are day to day people wouldn't constantly be taking photos, it'd be more of a quality shot in the one off situation. As well there are some camera phones that can output really good photos. If they need more room for the camera then use a bigger camera in the thing. It's not like the iPhone is trying to be the absolute thinnest 3G device.
one day of battery ≠ great battery and the iPhone's battery is pretty poor. Yes as good if not better then other 3g phones but still pretty poor in general.

While the iPhone does have the components of a digital phone, the size and quality of those components are the issue. For instance, the sensor, I'd bet that the sensor on the iPhone is a lot smaller then that of a point and shoot. the quality of the lens is the other issue and finally the software to produce a clean crisp image. point and shoots have more robust software. Adding a flash on the iPhone would bastardize the clean looks and elegant functionality.

Basically if you want to take fairly high quality pictures, get a camera, if you want a device that allows you to post images of your latest get together on facebook, the iPhone is sufficient.

I believe that if apple enhanced the camera to the level of a point and shoot, it will increase the cost, and the nice lines of the phone. While you may not care if they produce a thicker phone, I do. The form factor is excellent like much of apple's products and I'd hate to see that change for a feature that is not core to its functionality.
~Mike

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2009, 01:56 PM

But the iPhone's photos aren't that bad to begin with. Any camera with a tiny CCD is going to have noise in low-light pictures, and any camera without a powerful flash is going to have blur in similar environments. What phones are currently on the market that have substantially better photo quality than the iPhone?

revMedia
Apr 4, 2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
For the science- and maths-impaired: "!=" means "NOT equal".
Don't forget us programmers

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2009, 03:24 AM

Yeah, actually != is all about the programmers. The scientists and non-"maths-impaired" usually prefer a simple ≠.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2009, 04:35 AM

I would have understood a ≠, I thought the != was a typo

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2009, 04:24 PM

And don't leave out "<>" !!!

Cold Warrior
Apr 5, 2009, 04:36 PM

A recent appleinsider article indicates it'll have n capability, which is good but not a surprise. I'd be surprised by LTE support but know it's not going to happen because it's too soon for LTE and there are at least two more revisions that could occur before LTE is widespread enough to become a factor.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2009, 03:06 AM

Case parts for the new iPhone have supposedly been exposed.

Notably, the bezels appear to show a repositioned and redesigned ear speaker, now significantly higher above the display than the present speaker, and ringed with metal, a change that may make room for additional front-mounted sensor or camera hardware. Also changed is the bezel’s color, which has shifted from the prior silver in all iPhone and iPhone 3G models to a nearly black metallic color reminiscent of the backs of later fifth-generation iPod U2 Special Edition models.

Next Generation iPhone Bezel Revealed? - Mac Rumors
iPhone 4G Spare Parts - China Wholesale Electronics eStore -

Forum Links
Forum Rules