Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Simultaneous digital input on displays with HDMI and DVI-D?

Simultaneous digital input on displays with HDMI and DVI-D?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2009, 03:48 AM

I might need to by a 23"/24" 1920x1200 display soon. Since Apple refuses to offer their 24" ACD with DVI they're out of the race.

I've been looking at cheap TN panels from Dell. I noticed one that comes with VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI (S2409W). Since I'd be connecting two DVI-equipped computers to the screen, I'm wondering if I could get a DVI->HDMI dongle and attach both computers to the screen that way. Would that work? Will the HDMI input serve as a second digital input? I just want to be sure I can switch which computer gets displayed on the screen without having to involve VGA or swapping cables.

And on a side-note, why is it that only Apple supplies a halfway decent number of USB ports on their screens? Even expensive screens from other manufacturers rarely have more than one USB port. What's the deal with that? Of course Apple OTOH has crappy input options, the external power brick, and no height adjustment. So you do pay end up paying a lot for looks and of course the IPS panel. Oh well.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2009, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
IAnd on a side-note, why is it that only Apple supplies a halfway decent number of USB ports on their screens? Even expensive screens from other manufacturers rarely have more than one USB port. What's the deal with that? Of course Apple OTOH has crappy input options, the external power brick, and no height adjustment. So you do pay end up paying a lot for looks and of course the IPS panel. Oh well.
My Dell 2408wfp has 4 USB ports. The HP LP2475w has 6, and an IPS panel too. And a great complement of inputs...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2009, 01:23 PM

Do you just want to be able to switch inputs, or do you want PiP/PbP?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2009, 02:15 PM

Switching inputs is fine.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2009, 12:12 PM

Almost anything with two DVI/HDMI ports should do that. I like the Dell or Samsung PVA models.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2009, 12:24 AM

No, it's definitely going to be TN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules