Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 20)
Macpilot
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 04:18 PM

I just ordered on of these:

http://axio-usa.com/downloads/swift.pdf

I need a backpack for my motorcycle, and this is supposed to fit the 17" MBP that I am getting today.

Will let you guys know how it works!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

MacinTalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 10:40 PM

Take a look at Booq's new Vyper (on steroids)!
It's the Vyper exo...

new booq Vyper exo

There are two sizes, one for the 15" MacBook Pro and the other for the 17".

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2007, 10:50 PM

Awesome. Better pictures at the booq site: Vyper exo

MacinTalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 12:43 AM

You can enlarge more pics here: more pics

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2007, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTalk View Post
You can enlarge more pics here: more pics
Those some photos are available at the Booq site itself (only much larger). I'm sort of confused, why link to this readyandsold.com site when it is just as easy to link to the actual booq site? Especially when the actual booq site lists the exo cases as actually being in stock and shipping in 24 hours, whereas this readyandsold.com site says they aren't going to be able to ship them until April.

I have to admit, I'm a bit confused by the choice to link to that site rather than the booq site.

MacinTalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 01:52 AM

Sorry, the booq site did not say 24 hours when I was there earlier today. I see that it does now.

luxx78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 01:41 PM

Hello all,

I'm a big fan of the Tucano "horizontal limit" laptop bags - they are very well designed, and they provide great protection for any macbook pro/powerbook. Recently I've needed a new one and was having a hard time finding them here in the states. In fact, a lot of online sellers would even say they have them in stock, accept my order, and then I'd get the "out of stock/refund" email.
I finally did find a place in NYC that has a bunch of the 15" bags in stock, so for anyone looking for one check these people out. My transaction went very smoothly and the shipping was very fast:

Tucano Horizontal Limit Grey/Orange

natalia4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2007, 01:43 AM

Check out the Barcelona bag

jools
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2007, 05:58 PM

Has anyone got user experience with the Booq's Viper? I am looking for a case for both professional meetings and my commute on a mountain bike?

Any suggestions or opinions gratefully received. Thanks.
iMod - think music, think britpop, think mod, think different

blueleaf
Mar 11, 2007, 12:42 AM

I just bought the booq viper sleeve http://booqbags.com/s.nl/it.A/id.65/...=BAGFINDERCAMP for my macbook and it is awesome! It's exactly the kind of thing i wanted...minimal case with a good amount of protection that easily fits inside my backpack for school. Anyone wanting a sleeve for use inside another bag should definitely get the booq viper.

lisaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by MadanKnightRyukendo View Post
Does anyone have one of these?

The Apple Store (U.S.) - Marware Sportfolio Sleeve for 15-inch MacBook Pro (Black)

I'm thinking of maybe picking up a sleeve for my soon-to-arrive G4 Titanium PowerBook to use in place of the weak looking one that came with my backpack, and I wanted to know if this one is nicely padded and if it'll fit my PowerBook even though it says it's for the MacBook Pros.
I have this sleeve. At first I wasn't sure about the zipper - it's tight around the corners of the MBP, but there is a lip inside that protects the case. It's cushy and I like the external pocket. Perfect for an ipod nano or notes.

alain_30_alain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 09:12 PM

thanks. now I can choose a nice sleeve case for my MacBook Pro.
alain.
 MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
 20-inch Cinema Display
 iPod Shuffle 512MB
 iPod Video 30GB

kiki2002
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 11:18 AM

I have found a new Website that has great deals on Bag and also Cell Phone cases. They ship to most countries in the world. They also Sell McKlein, Shoreline, and most of the brands previously listed. Their site is :

Laptop Bags, Backpacks, Handbags, Totes, Messenger Bags

Happy hunting for your Bags and cases

harky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2007, 06:54 AM

gravis make some really good ones, i love my metro royale

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2007, 12:56 AM

Does anyone know where I can get a leather messenger bag? I'd like one that wasn't the waxed type of leather if at all possible.

I really like the one that Adam Sandler's character in Rein on Me had.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2007, 11:21 PM

I must say that my new AXIO hard backpack is awesome. It is lightweight and attractive, and I got it on eBay for $120. Does not hold much, but if you are looking for something to hold your macbook and a few other items it is perfect. Really sturdy straps and zippers.

Motorcyclists with MacBooks? This is your pack.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

artishard116
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2007, 06:46 PM

hello, i don't mean to be obnoxious but if anyone else is looking for an axio hardpack i have one in like new condition at a great price. pm me for details.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2007, 06:35 PM

I had the same HEDGREN TOMATO for about 4 years now

It's been to Sri Lanka

to Vancouver

and has been part of my foresthut interior

It's become such a trademark I started to buy extra The right one is the oldest..
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2007, 08:30 AM

Here's my fabrix delux laptop case. If you are those looking for a fashionable sleeve/case, you can check them out at www.fabrixcases.com

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2007, 12:02 PM

I finally broke down and bought the Pleican 1490. It hasn't arrivd yet.

hbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2007, 05:09 PM

Hi Guys, check out dicota bags - they seem to be very protective, I have one for my MBP17".

oijw27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2007, 02:33 AM

haha check out barry's farm, Barry's Farm
funky sleeves

wykazox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2007, 10:46 AM

Hi there!

I am looking for a hard sleeve/case/shell (ABS, carbon fiber, kevlar, aluminum, polycarbonate, etc...) for my MacBook Pro 15,4". I'd like it to fit the MBP 15,4" perfectly, to protect it against shocks and falls, and to be as less bulky as possible (so I can either put it into a luggage for travelling, or slip it into my backpack, for school).

Axio Hardsleeve
It seems perfect.
I just think it is too bulky (in width and length) considering it also fits the 17" MBP...
Does a model specific to the 15,4" exist?

RhinoSkin Hardcase
This one seems to fit the 15,4" perfectly, but to provide absolutely no protection (no foam inside...).

Booq Vyper M2
Looks good! is the shell rigid, hard? Does it provide good protection against falls?

DeerPack HBNB
Any info about this one?

Speck SeeThru
Seems to provide absolutely no protection...

Pelican HardBack1080
Probably the most solid one. And the most bulky one too...
Does a model designed to fit the MBP 15,4" perfectly exist?

Shinza ZeroShock III
1- Doesn't fit the MBP 15,4" perfectly...
2- Isn't "hard-shelled"...

Do you know any other brand or model?...
Thank you!

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2007, 10:49 AM

Take a look at the Tom Bihn Brain Cell (horizontal or vertical). I got one for mine, and was incredibly impressed with how well it protects the MBP inside. It doesn't have a "hard" exterior, but it seems to really protect it anyway.

Page14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2007, 12:29 PM

Hello everybody. Thanks to all of you for doing so much research and providing info on all the different types of cases out there. I bought a 15.4" MacBook Pro 3 or 4 weeks ago and have been reading this thread (or lurking) with great interest. So many choices!

I like the Tom Bihn Brain Cell case that Elektrix mentioned ...

(Tough Protection for Your Laptop: the Brain Cell Laptop Bag by: TOM BIHN)

... but do you know how water repellent it might be? (Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any info about that on their website).

I also went to a local Apple dealer to see what they might have in stock. They told me that Brenthaven will be coming out with a new model in either May or June (I forgot which month for sure). I checked out their website and their cases look pretty darn nice. Here's the link if anybody's interested in the Brenthaven products (... the link is for cases that fit 15.4" Mac Probooks):

http://www.brenthaven.com/perfect-case-locator.html

Personally, I'm looking for a case that is not bulky, has protection on all sides, has a handle, has a pocket that I could carry the AC adapter and cables in, and I think being water repellent would be nice in case you get stuck carrying the laptop in the rain.

(An aside to "wykazox" ... I think the Speck case you mentioned is meant to keep the MBP's aluminum case scratch/blemish free more than for impact protection).

Thanks for reading this ...

Bob

Page14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2007, 12:32 PM

Oops .. sorry for the typo .. I meant to say MacBook Pro in my previous post ... not Mac Probook (blush)

Bob

wykazox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2007, 02:09 PM

Hey guys!

I seem to have found exactly what I was looking for
-> The Axio HardSleeve for the MacBook Pro 15,4".
This one is made especially or the MBP 15,4", and thus doesn't have the bulky-ness of the older model (which was compatible with the 17" and and the 15,4").

Hurray!

Hope I can buy it in France...

wykazox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2007, 09:49 AM

OK!
Just ordered my HardSleeve for MBP 15,4"!

Great thread!

Thanks to all!

Page14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by wykazox View Post
OK!
Just ordered my HardSleeve for MBP 15,4"!

Great thread!

Thanks to all!
Congrats!

(now you have me thinking on that one)

Bob

brapper
Professional Poster
May 21, 2007, 09:25 PM

Just bought one of these.

Happy with it, thus far.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by brapper View Post
Just bought one of these.

Happy with it, thus far.
hey that's what i have as well.. totally love it!

seattlemaclover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Page14 View Post
Personally, I'm looking for a case that is not bulky, has protection on all sides, has a handle, has a pocket that I could carry the AC adapter and cables in, and I think being water repellent would be nice in case you get stuck carrying the laptop in the rain.
I would HIGHLY recommend the Edge II from Brenthaven. These bags offer great protection for the computer on all sides and you can even use the computer in the case if you need to. the leather versions come with a little pouch that attaches to the loop on the exterior for the AC adapter (this is a $4 option on the black and blue models. there is magazine pocket on the back that hold a surprising amount (I always carry a legal pad and second battery in it). The Ballistic nylon models are relatively water repellent, and leather is leather. I have two of these bags for my MacBook Pro and cary them everywhere. They also have a lifetime guarantee. Hope this helps.

you can see the bags here: http://brenthaven.com/catalog-sleeves.html

Page14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by seattlemaclover View Post
I would HIGHLY recommend the Edge II from Brenthaven. These bags offer great protection for the computer on all sides and you can even use the computer in the case if you need to. the leather versions come with a little pouch that attaches to the loop on the exterior for the AC adapter (this is a $4 option on the black and blue models. there is magazine pocket on the back that hold a surprising amount (I always carry a legal pad and second battery in it). The Ballistic nylon models are relatively water repellent, and leather is leather. I have two of these bags for my MacBook Pro and cary them everywhere. They also have a lifetime guarantee. Hope this helps.

you can see the bags here: http://brenthaven.com/catalog-sleeves.html
Thanks so much for the recommendation. It means a great deal to hear another person's first-hand experiences. This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

A few questions ...

It says on Brenthaven's website that the black nylon version is to be pre-ordered. I wonder if that's because it's out of stock, or could there be some kind of update to it?

I'm assuming that the only difference between the Ballistic nylon version and the leather version is the outside cover material ... that the inside padded 'compartments' are identical ... right?

And finally ... do you know if the Brenthaven Edge II can 'comfortably' hold a MacBook Pro with a Speck hard case attached to it?
http://www.speckproducts.com/15mac-seethru.html

Thanks again!

Page14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2007, 09:32 AM

<double post - deleted>
( Last edited by Page14; Jun 9, 2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: deleted due to double posting)

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2007, 06:10 PM

Since this thread is 20 pages long, I figured that it would be easier just to ask for a good bag to put my MBP. I need one that can be purchased from the Apple store. I will be using my Incase neoprene sleeve and whatever bag I purchase to carry my MBP around at school. I came down between these two, but needed other opinions.

The Apple Store (U.S.) - STM Medium Cargo 15-inch Bag (Oatmeal)

The Apple Store (U.S.) - STM Evolution Backpack (Graphite/Black)

dchiang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2007, 09:13 PM

Those who posted recently about the STM Cargo: what kind of fastener is on the main flap? Are there pockets on the inside of the main compartment or is it flat? Thanks
( Last edited by dchiang; Jun 16, 2007 at 02:55 AM. )

hamertime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2007, 04:39 PM

Another stylish manufacturer: Janine King Designs.

I've got my eye on this one:

jaybert
Jul 3, 2007, 07:00 PM

i just wanted to say that I would very much advise against the Zeroshock III 15.4" widescreen. It is WAYYYY too large for the Macbook Pro 15.4" When the sleeve is closed, it just slides around on the inside. I am heading to the apple store to find a more suitable sleeve...one that actually fits!

kman79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 12:41 AM

I recently received my Axio Hardsleeve for my 15 inch MBP, and it fits my needs perfectly. I'm in nursing school and for those in medical field, you guys know how thick and heavy those books can be. I use a Chromebag messenger bag, the Kremlin, the second from the largest to carry around all my books and my MBP. With the Axio hardsleeve, I don't worry about about the weight of the books crushing it and it doesn't slide around much if at all inside the sleeve. I'll post pictures tomorrow when I get home from work.

zerografix
Jul 6, 2007, 07:03 PM

Ok - I am in the market for a new backpack, and was looking for some recomendations, I own a Booq BOA XM fits a 15inch powerbook, but I am finding it way to heavy to lug around all day.
I now carry a macbook instead of a powerbook and have reduced my carry load greatly, but i still find the booq bag way to heavy. I am really looking for something light and it has to have some laptop protection, i was looking at the stm evolution backpack as i have owned an stm alley shoulder bag before.
Any help would be appreciated.

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 05:56 PM

Is there any way we can clean up this thread...it's a bit to big to really help...maybe, umm, i dont know, its just a little hard to find anything.

noemi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2007, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by jaybert View Post
i just wanted to say that I would very much advise against the Zeroshock III 15.4" widescreen. It is WAYYYY too large for the Macbook Pro 15.4" When the sleeve is closed, it just slides around on the inside. I am heading to the apple store to find a more suitable sleeve...one that actually fits!
You will find it here, the perfect fit!!!! www.aussiebag.com

m i k e
Jul 12, 2007, 07:37 PM

I'm looking to order the Marware Sporfolio Sleeve for the 15" MacBook Pro.

I like it because it's relatively simple, affordable, and, most importantly, seems to have a really good protective layer between the zipper and the laptop. What I don't know is how snuggly the 15" MacBook Pro fits inside this sleeve.

If someone has had experience with this sleeve please let me know the following.

Is the sleeve a perfect fit?
What does the inside look like? Does it leave any marks on the laptop?
What does the back of the sleeve look like? Is it just the black neoprene?
Does it provide enough protection for me to carry it around in a backpack with other things?
Are there any complaints you have with the sleeve? Would you recommend another one?

Thanks.

MacHeadChef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 12:10 AM

I just bought the Crumpler beer back to carry my 17" macbook pro.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2007, 12:31 AM

Any suggestions for a sleeve with no zippers or anything like that for my MBP? I don't want an over the shoulder bag or anything like that, just a nice, thin little sleeve to slide my MBP in and out of before I put it in my backpack.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

MacHeadChef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Any suggestions for a sleeve with no zippers or anything like that for my MBP? I don't want an over the shoulder bag or anything like that, just a nice, thin little sleeve to slide my MBP in and out of before I put it in my backpack.
Checkout SFBags - WaterField Designs - Page Redirection

jshalvorsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 07:58 PM

Anyone seen the new Belkin sling bags? They look pretty slick.

More here(incl. a messenger version of the sling)

kitcho
Jul 22, 2007, 04:37 PM

hi everyone

i'm wondering, does anyone have this backpack?

Ogio Politan Laptop Backpack.

if so, how would you rate it? i am looking to buy one fairly soon for school to carry my 15in PB. any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as would alternative suggestions in the ~$100 price range.

thanks
adrian

HoOn
Jul 29, 2007, 10:52 AM

I just bought a Booq Folee Xm and an SF Bag Sleeve

I've used the SF Bag Sleeves before and they have awesome quality and protection. And the Booq bag speaks for itself in terms of quality!
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

disappear012
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 03:34 PM

Hey, I bought the case from Macbook Case.
Here is the picture of it.

I love it! You gotta see it for yourself. No Doubt!
I bought this to protect my Mac, but I got impressed by look. It looks plain if you compare it with other brand, but because of the simple design, it doesn't ruin the Apple design and looks fantastic!
MacBook Pro Case

Forum Links
Forum Rules