Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama inauguration - gigantic waste of money?

Obama inauguration - gigantic waste of money? (Page 3)
Thread Tools
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 12:34 AM
 
Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
This is so true. I think that rather than spend 150 trillion dollars on the inauguration, they ought to have cut costs down to about 300 dollars. That would have been plenty to buy a few handles of Captain Morgan and maybe 12 cases of beer. They could have collected money to pay for a taxi to take Bush home instead of that helicopter, or he could have paid for it himself.
He could've rode home to Texas, off into the sunset, on a horse. Obama of course, should've rode in wearing sackcloth, on a donkey. Palm leaves are pretty cheap if you buy them locally.

I will say this though in hindsight, Aretha alone was worth a couple mil. It was good to see her. I think she's gaining an unhealthy amount of wait, but those vox. She's still got the chops y'all.
ebuddy
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 12:43 AM
 
How many people showed up? I haven't read an official count. Wikipedia says it was estimated to be 2 million people.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 01:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
How many people showed up? I haven't read an official count. Wikipedia says it was estimated to be 2 million people.
I think it has been estimated between 1.8 and 2 million people. 90 medical calls and 30 transports per CBS News, but no real incidents to speak of and as smooth as any you could ask for.
ebuddy
     
Monique
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: back home
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 10:51 AM
 
And they all went home to their manors and wait until Obama gives them back some candies.

For an economic repercussion, the event needs to last more than 2 or 3 days and there should have something left afterward like after the Olympic games.

She was wearing such an ugly dress and she is such a beautiful woman. Obama's wife whatever her name is.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 10:59 AM
 
Monique, I don't understand your disdain for Obama. I don't mean just now, I mean all throughout the campaign too...

I know that Hillary Clinton was your pick, but her policy positions were and still are very similar to Obama - you should be happy that the policies you supported will now be supported by this new administration. The only logical reason I can see for you being unhappy is if you were actually voting for HIllary Clinton the person, and not Hillary Clinton as an instrument for executing the changes in policy and legislation you believe in?
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 11:00 AM
 
Well, so far it's Day 1 and black Jesus has saved us from being attacked by terrorists!
     
Monique
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: back home
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 12:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Monique, I don't understand your disdain for Obama. I don't mean just now, I mean all throughout the campaign too...

I know that Hillary Clinton was your pick, but her policy positions were and still are very similar to Obama - you should be happy that the policies you supported will now be supported by this new administration. The only logical reason I can see for you being unhappy is if you were actually voting for HIllary Clinton the person, and not Hillary Clinton as an instrument for executing the changes in policy and legislation you believe in?
I do not like incompetent people in such high position as the Presidency. I did not like Bush and will never like Obama. Obama had it easy all his like because of a double standard; because he is black he should have whatever he wants. White people in the beautiful U.S.A. feel so guilty that you had to elect him President; he has no competence whatsoever to hold that job just like Bush has not competencies to hold the job of President. We now know that I was right then and you can see the results. I am right now and it is going to get worst.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 12:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by Monique View Post
I do not like incompetent people in such high position as the Presidency. I did not like Bush and will never like Obama. Obama had it easy all his like because of a double standard; because he is black he should have whatever he wants. White people in the beautiful U.S.A. feel so guilty that you had to elect him President; he has no competence whatsoever to hold that job just like Bush has not competencies to hold the job of President. We now know that I was right then and you can see the results. I am right now and it is going to get worst.
You will have to share how you measure his competence or lack thereof then, Monique, if you wish to actually make your case here....

I can accept the argument that he is inexperienced, but you are going have to provide far more in the way of information to make this claim fairly, I think. WIthout this, this just sounds like your gut feeling...
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 12:34 PM
 
If Obama ends up proving to be competent (even if you disagree with him), are the Republicans in here willing to concede that he will be an improvement over Bush, or do you feel that Bush was competent?

It's an interesting time for Obama... Enormous expectations and hopes, but a very low bar to meet in terms of improvising upon what we had.
     
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 12:40 PM
 
You can disagree with his politics... think he has no experience... or think he's all just an act... fine...

But incompetent? Really? Handed everything because he was black? Are you bat**** insane? He was the President of the Harvard Law Review. He's authored two books. He ran one of the best campaigns for the Presidency in history.

What pray tell is he incompetent at? Please inform me? I'm dying to know.

If it's so easy for black people to use the system to get ahead then why aren't black people all over the place in prominent positions of power?

It sounds to me like you are just a racist.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
goMac
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 12:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
But incompetent? Really? Handed everything because he was black? Are you bat**** insane? He was the President of the Harvard Law Review. He's authored two books. He ran one of the best campaigns for the Presidency in history.
See, the problem is you will never escape the "Obama got it because he was black argument". It's the perfect argument. One could argue he was President of the Harvard Law Review only because he was black.

The proper response? George Bush was only elected because he was white.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?
     
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 01:01 PM
 
Hey, I'm not stupid. If Obama were a white man, he would have never been president of the united states. I know this. His race was a big bonus for him in the election.

But to also say that it's the only reason, or that he was handed everything because of his race, or to say that he isn't a competent human being... I don't even know where to start.

Like I said earlier... if being black opens so many doors, then why aren't we seeing black people take better advantage of the system?

Why? Because like it or not, admit it or not, racism is still a huge problem in the world.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 01:05 PM
 
The ridiculous stat I heard on the news was Obama had 8 Inaugural parties to go to last night.
     
goMac
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 01:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Hey, I'm not stupid. If Obama were a white man, he would have never been president of the united states. I know this. His race was a big bonus for him in the election.
See, and here is the funny thing...

Our right wing friends were claiming that Obama wouldn't get elected because he was black. Everyone was lying on the polls. No one was ready to vote for him, etc, etc...

Now that he's elected they're tripping all over themselves and claiming he was elected because he was black.

If you look at the stats, they weren't all that different. The same percentage of blacks voted for Obama that voted for Kerry, that voted for Clinton. Things didn't really change. Blacks are more excited about the election, sure. But the statistics don't back up him being elected because he was black.
( Last edited by goMac; Jan 21, 2009 at 05:16 PM. )
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 02:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I think it has been estimated between 1.8 and 2 million people. 90 medical calls and 30 transports per CBS News, but no real incidents to speak of and as smooth as any you could ask for.
And there were still hotel rooms left. I'm willing to bet those few rooms left were at a Motel 6 charging $699 a night for minimum 4 nights.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Sep 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2009, 03:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
It sounds to me like you are just a racist.
     
Monique
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: back home
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2009, 11:48 AM
 
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
You can disagree with his politics... think he has no experience... or think he's all just an act... fine...

But incompetent? Really? Handed everything because he was black? Are you bat**** insane? He was the President of the Harvard Law Review. He's authored two books. He ran one of the best campaigns for the Presidency in history.

What pray tell is he incompetent at? Please inform me? I'm dying to know.

If it's so easy for black people to use the system to get ahead then why aren't black people all over the place in prominent positions of power?

It sounds to me like you are just a racist.
That is one of the problem with this guy; if you criticized him you are a racist. Too bad that I am not. I do not see the difference between him and another unqualified white or latino or asian man. When you make the argument that he is above reproach because he is black you are seeing only the color of his skin.

When I said he was handed everything I was not talking about the color of his skin but the fact that his parents had some money, that he was not raised in a ghetto like many minorities are.

The fact that he was the head of the law review in Harvard and wrote 2 books does not qualified him for this kind of job. Wasn't it his campaign managers that ran the campaign?

Ok, he never really achieved anything in his professional life, he would start something then go to the next one, he became a one term senator and then some guy told him maybe you should run for President and he said yes. Believe it or not it takes some savoir faire when you deal with congress and the senate, when you deal with foreign leaders, when you deal with a crippling economy. He will have to make decisions, not let everyone else do it for him. It is funny that most of his appointments were from the Clinton's cabinet.

And 3 of his appointments are now a part of the controversy.

What is it going to happen when he does not succeed with the economy do the same thing than George Bush did blame the other guy.
     
turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2009, 12:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
At least black Jesus is in power now.
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It's hard to believe that black Jesus is now our president!!
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Well, so far it's Day 1 and black Jesus has saved us from being attacked by terrorists!
Would you please STFU ?

You are a broken record. We get it. Kthxbai.

-t
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2009, 12:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by Monique View Post
That is one of the problem with this guy; if you criticized him you are a racist. Too bad that I am not. I do not see the difference between him and another unqualified white or latino or asian man. When you make the argument that he is above reproach because he is black you are seeing only the color of his skin.

When I said he was handed everything I was not talking about the color of his skin but the fact that his parents had some money, that he was not raised in a ghetto like many minorities are.

The fact that he was the head of the law review in Harvard and wrote 2 books does not qualified him for this kind of job. Wasn't it his campaign managers that ran the campaign?

Ok, he never really achieved anything in his professional life, he would start something then go to the next one, he became a one term senator and then some guy told him maybe you should run for President and he said yes. Believe it or not it takes some savoir faire when you deal with congress and the senate, when you deal with foreign leaders, when you deal with a crippling economy. He will have to make decisions, not let everyone else do it for him. It is funny that most of his appointments were from the Clinton's cabinet.

And 3 of his appointments are now a part of the controversy.

What is it going to happen when he does not succeed with the economy do the same thing than George Bush did blame the other guy.

Your argument conflates race with experience.

You say he only made it into power because some have elevated race to a point where he became untouchable. Sure, that factored into his campaigning and popularity with the *people*, but this has little to no impact on whether he can actually do the job or not. While race might be used as a political weapon by other politicians from time to time, every politician has provided their share of partisan political ammunition that has been exploited. I don't think that within the government race is going to be a significant issue, this was a far more relevant issue with how people outside of the government (i.e. ordinary people) saw Obama. So, don't conflate how the public dealt with race with how Obama will actualy succeed as a president - we're passed the campaign season now.

Where your comments are valid are with his inexperience, but throwing his race into the mix just weakens your argument at this point, I think.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2009, 12:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Would you please STFU ?

You are a broken record. We get it. Kthxbai.

-t

Whatever happened to hamstar and only in Amerika?

Nothing wrong with having a few repetitive slogans and catch phrases. They've worked for selling soft drinks, cars, and food, I think they will work for my selling the idea that Obama is black Jesus.
     
turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2009, 12:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Whatever happened to hamstar and only in Amerika?
Three times in one thread ? Never did that.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Nothing wrong with having a few repetitive slogans and catch phrases. They've worked for selling soft drinks, cars, and food, I think they will work for my selling the idea that Obama is black Jesus.
The difference is, soft drinks, cars, and food are desirable good.

-t
     
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2009, 01:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by Monique View Post
That is one of the problem with this guy; if you criticized him you are a racist.
Who the hell said that? Criticize him all you want. Just criticize him in a valid way.

When you make the argument that he is above reproach because he is black you are seeing only the color of his skin.
When the hell did I do that?

When I said he was handed everything I was not talking about the color of his skin but the fact that his parents had some money, that he was not raised in a ghetto like many minorities are.
He was not raised in money at all. He was raised by a middle classed single parent. Yes, it was not the ghetto, but give me a break if you think his upbringing was posh.

The fact that he was the head of the law review in Harvard and wrote 2 books does not qualified him for this kind of job. Wasn't it his campaign managers that ran the campaign?
You weren't arguing whether or not he was qualified to be president. You called him INCOMPETENT. My point is that an incompetant man cannot be president of the Harvard Law Review and cannot write two best-selling books and cannot even dream of doing something like running for President. Barrack Obama is more driven, talented and bright then 99.9999% of the populace. You can agree with his qualifications or not, you can agree with his politics or not... but he is not incompetent.

And picking smart people to run things like campaigns is the top job of the president. He picked the people and then delegated tasks to them. Just like what he is going to be doing as president. So yes, running a campaign is relevant.

Ok, he never really achieved anything in his professional life, he would start something then go to the next one, he became a one term senator and then some guy told him maybe you should run for President and he said yes.
Who are you hanging out with? Olympic athletes who are also the CEOs of multi-bilion dollar companies? What would you consider successful?

Before running for president, he managed to be a college professor, a community organizer, managed to get a law degree from harvard, state senator, a senator, was a best selling author... etc... etc...

You're right. What an incompetent doofus.

P.S. I want to see a list of your accomplishments.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Minnesota
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2009, 04:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
As I remember, there were those on the left who complained about the amount W spent ($42 million 2005, mostly private funds) , which is nothing compared to what BO is going to spend ($150+ million) Bill Clinton spent $33 million (also mostly private funds). My guess he is using left over funds from his election campaign. The public portion is security related
Barack Obama's inauguration set to be the most expensive in US history | World news | guardian.co.uk

There's a major problem with those comparisons, as detailed here.

The quick summary: the amount being quoted for W's (and Clinton's) inaugurations is only for the parties afterwards, while the amount being quoted for Barack's is for everything from the ceremony, to the security, to whatever.

The overall cost is actually about the same.
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2009, 05:29 AM
 
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Macrobat
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2009, 11:33 AM
 
Actual figure worked out to 800,000. So much for the "millions and millions.'

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-10146632-76.html

The amazing thing is, only 14 missed a day of work. /rimshot
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz
     
turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2009, 02:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Yeah, WTF

Where's the FCC when you need them

-t
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2009, 06:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
HIlarious!
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,