Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Steel toe work boots

Steel toe work boots
Thread Tools
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2010, 08:19 PM
 
Okay, who's got em? What's the better brand and most comfy, like Vibram soles and stuff. I went to Walmart on a whim and found the Jesse James work boot, which was nice. Size 11 was too small and 12 was too big. I hate and despise work boots with that puffy crap around the edge of the top of the boot, it comes off after a few days, according to my experience.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2010, 08:28 PM
 
One of my companies sells 'em (mainly cheap crap because it's to companies who provide their workers with boots, not to individuals).
Grab some Magnums if you can. Very comfy (to the point where you can wear them without socks straight out of the box) and last ages (my current pair is eleven years old).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: petting the refrigerator.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2010, 08:30 PM
 
I always thought that Doofy wore magnums... oh you mean boots?
are you lightfooted?
     
Sealobo
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Intertube
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2010, 08:52 PM
 
only Caterpillar came to mind.
     
scottiB
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Near Antietam Creek
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2010, 09:10 PM
 
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2010, 10:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
only Caterpillar came to mind.
I got one of those. 14 years old, still going strong. Good stuff.

I actually used them for day hikes in my younger days. I don't think I would do it today though

-t
     
macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 12:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
One of my companies sells 'em (mainly cheap crap because it's to companies who provide their workers with boots, not to individuals).
Grab some Magnums if you can. Very comfy (to the point where you can wear them without socks straight out of the box) and last ages (my current pair is eleven years old).
If you got a pair of workboots to last eleven years, I'm guessing you don't wear them for a living.

I like the JB Goodhue boots, comfortable and durable. But I have very wide feet, so what is comfortable for me is very different compared to what is comfortable for most people.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 12:56 AM
 
I've had a couple pairs of Danner (army) boots. Not cheap, and a little heavy, but very comfy.

They have plastic safety-toes too, which is good if you've gotten frostbite before, or do electrical, both of which are true for me.
     
moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Australia, the greatest country in the world, (Australians keep telling me).
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 01:53 AM
 
I like these.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 08:03 AM
 
Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
I got a pair of these for work. Any Red Wing store should go through your wants and needs and pick out the right boot for you, then make sure it's sized perfectly.
     
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 08:04 AM
 
Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
There's a ton to chose from, for sure.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 08:46 AM
 
Originally Posted by LegendaryPinkOx View Post
I always thought that Doofy wore magnums... oh you mean boots?
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 08:52 AM
 
Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
If you got a pair of workboots to last eleven years, I'm guessing you don't wear them for a living.
Worn daily. But of course, sitting in a recording studio all day or prancing about on a stage isn't exactly hard on the feet.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Baltimore
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 09:54 AM
 
The ones I currently wear are Timberlands, and they're about the most comfortable that I've ever owned. I wear them daily to work. The 'safety toe' is actually kevlar and not steel, which is lighter and doesn't freeze my toes when I ride to work. Also, best of all for me, they're waterproof, which is fantastic in winter/fall/spring (but kinda hot in summer).

     
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Night's Plutonian shore...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 12:23 PM
 
Although I've always despised steel-toe boots, I recently worked a contract a a nuclear plant wear the policy was everyone wears safety-toe shoes, whether you like them or not. I bought a pair of Bates, which have been my duty boot of choice for a long time now, with the composite toe. They were infinitely more comfortable than steel, with the same ANSI rating. I would definitely recommend you get composite over steel any day. Plus they don't set of the metal detectors.

Bates Footwear 8" Tactical Sport Composite Toe Side Zip at Zappos.com
Nemo me impune lacesset
     
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 03:04 PM
 
Depends on your work needs.

I spent 12 summers working for 3-4 months at a long-hours, medium-construction type place - all day, every day on your feet, 12 hours a day at least, regularly "catching" things with your foot (dropping pipes, stakes to the ground, etc. etc.). I would wear out a pair of work boots during those few months.

In that type of environment, I found there was a "price point" where you could keep getting more expensive boots, but you'd still wear them out in the same amount of time. Generally anything over $150 I didn't find to be worth it - of course, if your work isn't that intensive and you plan on keeping them for a couple years, it might be a better investment.

Otherwise, just go with what feels most comfortable. If you'll have to work in the rain, get waterproof boots - there's nothing worse than working with wet feet. And make sure you get a good pair of footbed soles for them - preferably something you can mold if possible.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
Rev-O
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Parker, Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 03:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Depends on your work needs.

I spent 12 summers working for 3-4 months at a long-hours, medium-construction type place - all day, every day on your feet, 12 hours a day at least, regularly "catching" things with your foot (dropping pipes, stakes to the ground, etc. etc.). I would wear out a pair of work boots during those few months.

In that type of environment, I found there was a "price point" where you could keep getting more expensive boots, but you'd still wear them out in the same amount of time. Generally anything over $150 I didn't find to be worth it - of course, if your work isn't that intensive and you plan on keeping them for a couple years, it might be a better investment.

Otherwise, just go with what feels most comfortable. If you'll have to work in the rain, get waterproof boots - there's nothing worse than working with wet feet. And make sure you get a good pair of footbed soles for them - preferably something you can mold if possible.

greg
Agreed. I completely wear out a pair of work boots in about 12 months. Doesn't seem to matter if they are Carolinas, Red Wings, or cheap ass Sears & Roebuck. Catching pipe and chunks of steel with my toes, kicking manhole covers, using the steel toes to prop ductile iron pipe in place etc takes an serious toll on the leather covering the toes and the soles of work boots. No matter how high a quality the boot is, it just won't survive that kind of abuse. So I buy the most comfortable cheap boots I can find and modify the fit with good insoles.
I get some added life out of boots by keeping them conditioned. Put the boots in the oven on low for a few minutes, take 'em out, slather 'em with weasel juice (aka mink oil) making sure to really coat all stitching, and put 'em back in the oven for a few more minutes, then take 'em out and wipe off the excess.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 04:25 PM
 
If you consistently kill the leather on the toe, yeah, your stuck, but if not, resole those suckers!
     
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 04:40 PM
 
I definitely need cushioned, waterproof boots. Steel toes probaby, but if they weigh a ton, probably not. I do roadside assistance now, and tire changes are part of the job. Some of thoese tires from trucks and things like Suburbans probably weigh more than me. Those Red Wings look nice, have to find that store.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 05:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I definitely need cushioned, waterproof boots.
End of story.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 05:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Although I've always despised steel-toe boots, I recently worked a contract a a nuclear plant wear the policy was everyone wears safety-toe shoes, whether you like them or not. I bought a pair of Bates, which have been my duty boot of choice for a long time now, with the composite toe. They were infinitely more comfortable than steel, with the same ANSI rating. I would definitely recommend you get composite over steel any day. Plus they don't set of the metal detectors.

Bates Footwear 8" Tactical Sport Composite Toe Side Zip at Zappos.com
Bates rock. They're light and comfortable and they breathe! I went through a couple pair of them when they still offered a 10" boot; when everyone decided that 8" was good enough, I sort of drifted away and went with an issue boot by Bellville; just as comfortable, and "provided" to me by Uncle Sam-for my own safety, of course.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 10:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Damn, that's a looooong way to go to try them on. I can't get a flight cuz of that freakin volcano. They are sold in the US?
     
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 10:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Bates rock. They're light and comfortable and they breathe! I went through a couple pair of them when they still offered a 10" boot; when everyone decided that 8" was good enough, I sort of drifted away and went with an issue boot by Bellville; just as comfortable, and "provided" to me by Uncle Sam-for my own safety, of course.
Bates is what the Navy Exchange sold for the work boots. Utter garbage. I could go through a pair on a deployment.
     
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Night's Plutonian shore...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2010, 10:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Bates is what the Navy Exchange sold for the work boots. Utter garbage. I could go through a pair on a deployment.
Really? I've been wearing them for years and years, and have nothing but good to say about them. I usually replace them once a year or so, but I could probably get more milage out of them. Anyway, my post wasn't to recommend Bates so much as it was to recommend composite safety toes over steel. Same level of protection, but lighter and more comfortable. And at least in this part of the country, they won't make your feet freeze for half the year.
Nemo me impune lacesset
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 18, 2010, 12:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Damn, that's a looooong way to go to try them on. I can't get a flight cuz of that freakin volcano. They are sold in the US?
Of course - they're a US brand.
Magnum Boots USA | Stealth Force Series
Doesn't look like you can get "waterproof" and toe over there. Don't worry about that - the "non waterproof" ones are just fine for what you need.

Edit: Correction. Waterproof and toe. Although I've actually walked through the sea in my "non waterproof" ones and not got wet feet, so take yer pick.
( Last edited by Doofy; Apr 18, 2010 at 01:07 AM. )
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Macfreak7
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 18, 2010, 02:40 AM
 
Dr. Martens used to be popular back in the day, don't know how good they are thesedays.
     
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 18, 2010, 08:03 AM
 
Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Really? I've been wearing them for years and years, and have nothing but good to say about them. I usually replace them once a year or so, but I could probably get more milage out of them. Anyway, my post wasn't to recommend Bates so much as it was to recommend composite safety toes over steel. Same level of protection, but lighter and more comfortable. And at least in this part of the country, they won't make your feet freeze for half the year.
Yeah, steel toes are much heavier. I'd have to go with a composite safety toe thingy.
     
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 18, 2010, 08:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Of course - they're a US brand.
Magnum Boots USA | Stealth Force Series
Doesn't look like you can get "waterproof" and toe over there. Don't worry about that - the "non waterproof" ones are just fine for what you need.

Edit: Correction. Waterproof and toe. Although I've actually walked through the sea in my "non waterproof" ones and not got wet feet, so take yer pick.
Ha, GI Joe's is right down the street from me. Thx!
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 18, 2010, 09:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Ha, GI Joe's is right down the street from me. Thx!
Sweet.
Note: I can't vouch for the comfort of the work series, since we don't get those here, but the Stealth Force are as comfy as wearing trainers. I currently have the "8 side zip" (recently replaced the eleven-year-old leather classics), which would be this pair if you need the composite toe. I still don't bother wearing socks with them.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 18, 2010, 10:34 AM
 
Nasty nasty smelly feet.... wear some socks you hippy
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
SSharon
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 18, 2010, 10:40 AM
 
I haven't needed steel toe boots in a while, but I would take a look at Police Gear - Police Equipment - Police Uniforms - Public Safety Equipment: Galls They sell mainly to fire and police departments so the reviews for all of the boots are written by people that abuse their shoes. I've also been happy with purchases I've made from them in the past.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 18, 2010, 11:27 AM
 
Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
They sell mainly to fire and police departments so the reviews for all of the boots are written by people that abuse their shoes.
Haha oh come on, those people don't abuse their shoes at all. They wear them a lot; that's about it.

I would wear out a pair of work boots in a little over three months - holes everywhere, soles almost worn through, laces ripped, sometimes duct tape holding the steel toe in place just so I wouldn't have to buy a new pair for my remaining week or two. Like Rev-O said, construction work is where you put them to the test - you use your feet almost as an extra hand for heavy things - lifting, moving, wedging, you name it. A day wouldn't go by without me having to kick the shit out of something.

So it depends on your needs. But yeah, it sounds like the OP won't be doing that type of work at all - he probably just needs something comfortable that has steel toes.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2010, 07:31 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Sweet.
Note: I can't vouch for the comfort of the work series, since we don't get those here, but the Stealth Force are as comfy as wearing trainers. I currently have the "8 side zip" (recently replaced the eleven-year-old leather classics), which would be this pair if you need the composite toe. I still don't bother wearing socks with them.
Well, yesterday I tried on a pair of them and then a pair of Red Wings. I think I'm going with the Red Wings. Very comfy, not too heavy, and they felt like an actual pair of work boots, something that might stand up to the pavement and gravel and crap a bit better. Getting them today, I'll put some pics up soon.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2010, 08:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Well, yesterday I tried on a pair of them and then a pair of Red Wings. I think I'm going with the Red Wings. Very comfy, not too heavy, and they felt like an actual pair of work boots, something that might stand up to the pavement and gravel and crap a bit better. Getting them today, I'll put some pics up soon.
Fair enough. Your dollar.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2010, 01:44 PM
 
Yet another vote for Red Wings. Great customer service, plus free laces for life.
     
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2010, 03:04 PM
 
Okay, here's a pic of them.



     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2010, 07:06 PM
 
Red Wings FTW, my dad keeps them long enough to usually get them re-soled.
     
cybergoober
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newport News, VA USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 22, 2010, 09:03 PM
 
I'm in the market for some new work boots as well. Bought some Skechers maybe six months ago. Some of the most comfortable work boots I've had, but they're falling apart already (wondering if I need wide width). The idea of a composite toe is appealing as steel toes tend to start feeling heavy after about 10 hours. I wonder how well those tactical-style boots would hold up in a light construction environment...

ctt1wbw: Where did you go to try on the Magnums and Red Wings? Did you end up going to G.I. Joe's? If so, did they have a decent selection of boots?
     
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2010, 07:36 AM
 
GI Joe's had a decent selection, but I don't think those magnums would hold up over time. They were comfy, they just reminded me too much of my Navy boots, and those were garbage.

There's a Red Wing store at Coliseum Crossing in Hampton, right across the street from the Farm Fresh. It's in the same strip mall as the Bottom Dollar and the Ross dress store. They have a pretty wide selection in there too.

Where in Newport News are you?
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2010, 10:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
GI Joe's had a decent selection, but I don't think those magnums would hold up over time.
And I know they will.

Originally Posted by Doofy, about work boots
One of my companies sells 'em
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2010, 10:43 AM
 
Magnums do hold up. I've seen guys head to the desert in a new pair of 8" Magnums and come back 6 months later in what looks like a new pair of 8" Magnums...but they're the same boots. Sure, if you go out of your way, you can destroy any boot. But if you use 'em for real work, you could expect a pair of Magnums to last around a year without major problems.

The way Red Wings manage to last is by being VERY solid boots. That also means heavy and bulky. The ones I've tried on were very stiff and hard to get a good flex in at the ankle or toe. Built like tanks, but I personally don't want tanks on my feet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2010, 10:48 AM
 
Thing is, even yer cheapo Chinese imports (which I sell at around $25/pair) will hold up to at least six months of hard work (i.e. construction worker), or at least a year of normal work (i.e. tow truck driver).

But they're not what I'd call "comfortable".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2010, 12:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
But they're not what I'd call "comfortable".
Precisely. To be both comfortable and durable, a boot has to have a lot of work put into it. A good last is crucial (what ever happened to standardized lasts?), but materials and construction are also vitally important. A boot you can get away with not wearing socks in in a pinch, but that is comfortable with any socks you use, will not cost $25. Or even 25£. But one that fits, is well made of good materials and is durable will be worth every penny.

I firmly believe that world peace is achievable if we all just had shoes that fit-it's amazing how BAD you can feel just because your feet hurt, and the most powerful way to make feet hurt is with poorly fitting shoes.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2010, 02:56 PM
 
That's why I only wear my high-heels twice a week when I play dressup.
     
cybergoober
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newport News, VA USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2010, 03:06 PM
 
To be fair, Doofy, you also said:
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Worn daily. But of course, sitting in a recording studio all day or prancing about on a stage isn't exactly hard on the feet.


Anyway, yeah I'm kinda torn between the Magnums and the Red Wings. I find myself leaning more towards the Red Wings because they'll repair stitching (the reason I'm ditching my current boots), eyelets, hooks etc. for free for the life of the boots. Plus if (when) the soles wear out I can get them replaced for less than a new pair of boots. On the other hand those Magnums seem like they may be (considerably?) lighter.

ctt1wbw: I live near the intersection of Warwick Blvd and Menchville Rd.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2010, 03:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
To be fair, Doofy, you also said:

Well, yeah. That's my day job.

But the company I own which sells boots sells to industry. From construction workers to steelworkers to delivery drivers to food process technicians. I see the accounts - I know what's ordered and re-ordered - and see the feedback from customers.

Granted, no experience with Red Wings. But I know Magnums will do the job. Red Wings may be better than Magnums, I don't know. So yer pays yer money and takes yer choice.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2010, 06:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
To be fair, Doofy, you also said:



Anyway, yeah I'm kinda torn between the Magnums and the Red Wings. I find myself leaning more towards the Red Wings because they'll repair stitching (the reason I'm ditching my current boots), eyelets, hooks etc. for free for the life of the boots. Plus if (when) the soles wear out I can get them replaced for less than a new pair of boots. On the other hand those Magnums seem like they may be (considerably?) lighter.

ctt1wbw: I live near the intersection of Warwick Blvd and Menchville Rd.
I know where that is. You work at the shipyard?
     
cybergoober
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newport News, VA USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2010, 06:58 PM
 
No. I was working out at NASA Langley as a Mac tech from 2000 to 2007, but was laid off a few years ago. Been having a hard time getting another Mac tech support gig, so been working with a family friend installing office furniture (cubicles etc.) Meh, it pays the bills I guess. Considering going back to school...
     
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 24, 2010, 07:56 AM
 
I take online classes right now. Kinda difficult sometimes because that roadside assistance gig has me going 12-14 hours a day sometimes.
     
cybergoober
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newport News, VA USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 24, 2010, 07:20 PM
 
Well, went to Off Broadway Shoes as they were listed as a Magnum dealer. No dice. So went to G. I. Joe's. They had one pair of Magnums left (size 14 I think). They had a boat-load of Original S.W.A.T brand though. Decided to try them on and walk around a bit. Felt like I was wearing sneakers. Very light, with composite toe and side zip. I think they'll do nicely for $90 work boots.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,