Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Won't connect or stay connected...

Won't connect or stay connected...
Rachel
Mar 16, 1999, 03:30 AM

Hi,
I have another problem, when i dial up it take me at least 2 times before I will stay connected and then most of the time I will be disconnected within half an hour of dialing up.
I get this message,
"Apple Remote Access"
"The remote side is not responding correctly. Check the configuration of your control panel and try again,"
What does this mean? I'm so sick on not being able to dial up properly and then when i do get on I have to worry about it disconnecting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rachel

Marc Norman
Mar 17, 1999, 05:56 AM

Sounds like you need to update your modem to the V.90 style modem. Check Apples web site (if you can connect!!) to see whether or not you need to. It depends on what system software you are running.

Marc

P.S. It seems that my email address is unavailable. If you have questions, you can reach me at: [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Marc Norman (edited 03-17-99).]

ssquirrel
Mar 19, 1999, 12:08 AM

Got a Global Village ...GOOD LUCK. I have a$150.00 paper wieght here..V90 updated to latest flash ROM ...no connects/ drops from Mindspring...no connects/ Drops from earthlink...5 ISPs say its modem..GV says its ISPs not upgrading/unknowledgable tech support.

MGriffin
Mar 19, 1999, 01:57 PM

Make sure you rule out some more issues before blaming the ISP or Modem. Check you lines for noise, well, have the Phone Company do this. You might have to hassle them. If you have the "inside wire protection" you can have them come out and string new lines for no charge. Symptoms of a dirty line would be dropped connections, difficult time connecting, slow connections, etc..

dcoyle
Mar 20, 1999, 07:38 PM

Absolutely the first thing to do is follow MGriffin's advice. I had a problem a couple of years ago with exactly the same symptoms you describe. After screwing around with everything I could think of in software, etc., I tried replacing the 5' 4-wire phone cable that came with my modem with an old grungy spare I've had for years in my garage. I have never had a problem since.

I couldn't tell you what was wrong with the original cable - it was brand new and looked fine, but for $2.00 or $3.00 for a replacement, I'd say change this first.

Dan

Rachel
Mar 20, 1999, 09:59 PM

Hi and thanks to everyone who responded to my post.
I rang apple and the guy said to drop my modem speed and that seemed to help heaps!!
But still having the occasional drop out problem, but not nearly as bad a before.
I will replace the cable that connects from my computer to the phone socket and see if that helps some more (if thats the cable you mean).

Thanks
Rachel

Rachel
Mar 20, 1999, 10:00 PM

Hi and thanks to everyone who responded to my post.
I rang apple and the guy said to drop my modem speed and that seemed to help heaps!!
But still having the occasional drop out problem, but not nearly as bad a before.
I will replace the cable that connects from my computer to the phone socket and see if that helps some more (if thats the cable you mean).

Thanks
Rachel

retrieve
Mar 25, 1999, 02:44 PM

Hi Rachael
This may be too late, but I assume that you are not getting dropped due to inactivity for a period of time, eh? This setting is in the PPP control panel, to options, to connection. (now Remote Access control panel in OS 8.5x) If that is the cause for dropping the connection, then either uncheck the disconnect if idle, or change the time to more than the default of 10 minutes.
After following the other suggestions, there are 2 TIL's that may help you here also.
Troubleshooting an unreliable modem connection:
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/ab04b9157935579686256 4990065bb63/d78968f22533f7ba8525673f004d18ff?OpenDocument

and Modem Troubleshooting Cannot load web pages after connecting:
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/ab04b9157935579686256 4990065bb63/6f4eeb9de7513c118525673f004eb001?OpenDocument

Hope these help. Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules