Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > UW SCSI Bus On Crack with 8.5!

UW SCSI Bus On Crack with 8.5!
b00mer
Apr 15, 1999, 06:09 PM

I have a small Lan at my house consisting of Two Yosemites, a 9600/350, and a Linux Box. I installed Adaptec 2940UW cards in all of the Computers. Ever Since I upgraded to 8.5 and then 8.5.1, I have had all sorts of strange errors with my SCSI connections. Basically what will happen is this:

When I go to tranfers files from one drive to another, The Estimated time will pop up. It won't update itself unless I continously click the mouse. I have about a 30-80% chance that the computers will lock up completely during the transfer. The longer it has been since a restart and the larger the files Im transfering are seem to up the odds.

If I bring any other application up and let the transfer run in the background, it slows down considerable, but it seems to help keep the machines from crashing. The devices I have connected are as follows. On one Yosemite, I have an internal IBM Ultrastar 9.1 Gig that is terminated, externally I ave a 2 gig jaz, a 9 UW RAID, and a Yamaha CDRW. The jaz is the last device and it is terminated. The other Yosemite has the same internal drive and only a 1 gig jaz drive externally. Both devices are terminated. Finally, the 9600 has a 9.1 UW WD Enterprise internal. On the Factory Scsi bus, I have The CD-Rom internally, and externally a Polaroid Sprinscan, a Umax Powerlook II, a 9 gig Ultra RAID and a zip drive.

I am using Apple SoftRaid to handle the RAIDS. I have also had problems when trying to transfer from SCSI drive to SCSI drive on the Yosemites... In order to avoid crashing, I need to transfer files from one scsi drive to the factory uDMA drive and then to a different SCSI drive. Direct SCSI to SCSI Transfers almost ALWAYS cause a crash. I have also updated my SCSI Drives and reformatted EVERY Drive using the latest Apple Drive Set-Up

All three computers have exhibited the EXACT same behavior. Has anyone else had this problem or something similar?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

b00mer

[This message has been edited by b00mer (edited 04-15-99).]

scott
Apr 20, 1999, 04:35 PM

On the Yosemite machines, try installing Apple's <a href="http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11317? OpenDocument">Ultra2 SCSI Update</a>.

Dunno about the others, but this is a start.

- Scott

------------------
Scott Stevenson
Contributing Editor,
MacN

Forum Links
Forum Rules