Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > GTAV

GTAV
knifecarrier2
Baninated
Nov 8, 2012, 02:02 PM

If all these other stupid games have their own thread, this one definitely deserves one.

http://gtavaction.wordpress.com/

Go there quick before it gets shut down.

Holy. SHIT.

- There are 3 playable main characters.
- You can switch between them at any point when not on a mission. When you switch, the camera zooms out into the sky and then back down to the character you switched to.

Features:

- You can flip off other characters in the game, and see interesting results dependent on who you're flipping off.
- Vehicle physics have been updated. "The cars hold to the ground a bit better". It now feels more like a racing game, compared to GTA IV where they felt "big and boatlike".

Locations:

GTAV's game world is bigger than the worlds of Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas and GTA IV combined!
Fully explorable Mount Chiliad
A military base
Salton Sea region
Wine country
Wilderness
Fully explorable ocean floor along the coastline

Vehicles:

BMX
Mountain Bikes
Road Bikes
Dirt bikes
Planes
Variety of cars and trucks
Helicopters
ATVs
Jet Skis

I'm a HUGE GTA fan. I played the original on my school's computers during programming class, and when GTA3 came out, I bought it due to fear of it being "banned" because of Sept 11th. Little did I know how much that game would affect my life. I moved in with a friend, and we played it constantly, to the point where we would get drunk/whatever and go "hidden package hunting" in real life, climb up buildings, go down alleys, and get in weird places. It was a blast. Vice City? Opening weekend we binged on VC, trying to find the helicopters, stayed up late, and played as much as we could in a short 48 hours. San Andreas? Wife was gone, YES, and buddy came over opening weekend. Played all weekend. Got as unsober as possible. Our mission was to get to vegas. We even made a 40 minute long video of it, pretty trippy stuff. GTAIV? Midnight release in Chicago at my buddies house. He had a PS3, I did not, yet I bought a copy anyway. We played it all night on a projector, I went to sleep, got up and had my finals. LCS? Midnight release. Chicago. Played all weekend.

Since GTAIV came out, I've played it pretty consistently online. I initially played freemode a lot with my buddy, just doing our own things and getting into adventures, then started playing Cops N Crooks competitively. Current rank is 600 something out of over 3.5 MILLION players, and about 90% of my PS3 "friends" are the top players of CNC. I play with the top 10 dudes pretty regularly.

This next game? Oh man. So many thoughts. I will write them down later, but needless to say this is the biggest deal to me in about 5 years. I'm actually booking tickets to visit my buddy in Texas for the release date.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Nov 12, 2012, 03:31 PM

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2012, 07:11 AM

Damn this looks sexy...

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vzue74y7A84[/video]

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 14, 2012, 07:34 AM

Oops, wrong thread.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Nov 19, 2012, 01:28 PM

K, Rockstar, I don't know if you read these, but here goes:

1. MULTIPLAYER SERVER BROWSER. Ever since online gaming started with Quake, you have been able to see a LIST of games happening, and join the one you want to play. Not in GTAIV, you're just randomly assigned to some usually retarded game with 2 people. I want to be able to sort games based on number of players, as well as clickable icons that let me select blips on/off, teamkill on/off, auto aim on/off, stuff like that. The fact that rockstar made the selection of games so random just infuriates me; there is no reason to do what they did. Also, if I'm playing BAGT and invite someone, I can't tell if they're playing GTAIV, LOTD, or BOGT. Totally annoying.

2. In GTAIV, in the last mission you could shoot rockets out of the helicopter... but you could never do that in Multi. That is BULLsh*t. Let me shoot whatever I want if I'm not the pilot. Speaking of which, if I'm the passenger in a car, I should be able to crawl halfway out the window and shoot an M16 or AK47. Or kick out the windshield. Whatever.

3. I want to be able to put things IN helicopters, or ON planes. I tried for hours to try to get a motorcycle wedged into the cargo area of the military chopper; let that happen. On that note, I want to be able to wing walk, if I'm crouched. I also tried to board the airliner by having a buddy fly me on top of the flying airliner, and jumping out, but instead I just bounced off the wing and fell to my death. Being able to walk on wings would be amazing; think of the possibilities! You could try exchanging passengers mid flight, while flying in formation, it'd be insane.

4. BRING BACK THE CHEATS. The more ridiculous, the better. I don't want to just spawn a vehicle, I want dance party, invisible cars, all that crazy good stuff again! I thought that was the biggest failing of GTAIV, really. The cheats would have kept things interesting. Maybe only allow htem if everyone agrees to it, or something like that. It'd be fun to be in freemode and play with friends while the city was all weird.

5. Cops and Crooks. BOGT has great weapons and vehicles but I never play it because CnC is awesome. Why they removed that option from the later games boggles my mind. Also, maybe offer some interesting twists on it. How about the blips are on for the criminals until you get close to them? That would make things super tense.

6. More coop stuff, not necessarily missions, but my buddy and I used to hunt for hidden packages all the time on PS2, it'd be SO FUN to do this with a friend or two. Also, vigilante, ambulance missions.

7. There should be an actual REWARD to getting hidden packages and doing side missions. The hidden packages gave you weapons to start out with, the ambulance gave you fire proof, I forget what the vigilante missions did. Achievements are super gay, because they only matter to NERDS. I want the extra stuff to have some sort of effect on the game, not just special clothing or bragging rights, but maybe like do all vigilante missions and your guns are 10% more accurate. Stuff like that.

8. Multiplayer bank heist. Seriously. Everyone gets M16s. armor, grenades... you rob a bank, all get 6 stars, and have to escape somehow. It'd hvae to be REALLY HARD, so if you actually made it you'd be all pumped up.

9. Not multiplayer.. but there should be WAY more easter eggs. I remember reading about CJ's mom's ghost, the ghost car near the biplane, sharks in the water, all sorts of stuff. THAT SHOULD BE IN THE GAME, AND REALLY RARE. My buddies and I like exploring more htan anything else, and finding hard to find stuff is pretty awesome.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 19, 2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
9. Not multiplayer.. but there should be WAY more easter eggs. I remember reading about CJ's mom's ghost, the ghost car near the biplane, sharks in the water, all sorts of stuff. THAT SHOULD BE IN THE GAME, AND REALLY RARE. My buddies and I like exploring more htan anything else, and finding hard to find stuff is pretty awesome.
That sounds totally not gay and not for nerds at all.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2012, 12:51 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Dec 26, 2012, 10:36 AM

Oh **** YES. ****ing SUBMARINES! And Sharks! BHAHAHAHAHAHA this makes me so happy. Cannot wait for inevitable submarine battle.

Oh, and dogs too:

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2013, 11:42 AM

September 17th release. Not being released in spring to "give additional development time".

Grand Theft Auto 5 launches Sept. 17 | Joystiq

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2013, 01:00 AM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2013, 01:10 PM

If it's releasing in September, are they releasing a separate version for XBOX ONE and the PS4?

I noticed this with Assassin's Creed IV. They're releasing Oct 29 or 30th and not releasing an XBOX ONE version of the game till early 2014.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Thorzdad
Jul 10, 2013, 01:29 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2013, 02:34 PM

sek am cry

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2013, 03:04 PM

Might get the PC version.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Might get the PC version.
In 2014?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
sek am cry
Are you getting for 360 or waiting for next-gen?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2013, 07:11 PM

Whatever system has better driving controls.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2013, 08:15 AM

In 2014?
Whenever. Xbox got disconnected recently, thrown in a box and now gathers dust in the garage. Still undecided when I'll get a next gen.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2013, 05:31 PM

I really really really wish that the GTA games offered a separate title that used the same world with a different, nonviolent story line and missions.

I don't really have anything against violent video games in general, but the GTA series just rubs me the wrong way. Unfortunately, these games are also the only modern (e.g. non-medieval or fantasy) open-world games on the market.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

P
Jul 12, 2013, 03:25 AM

There are a few others that are not fantasy. The Fallout series comes to mind - although maybe not exactly what you mean by modern timeline, as it's a fifties future world thing - as well as STALKER. Far Cry 2 and 3. Sleeping Dogs is probably the closest to GTA, coming from the True Crime series.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2013, 11:09 AM

The best example I have is LEGO City Undercover, which I've been playing too much since I got it last week.

I'd like to see some open world games that aren't ultimately just FPSes or GTA clones.

For instance: an open world RPG based on any number of popular fictional universes, like Star Trek, Harry Potter, Star Wars, or whatever (can't think of anything else ATM). I realize this falls outside my earlier comment about games in modern settings, but I think in general there is a missing category of open world games - those that aren't violent and aren't too difficult for normal people to play and enjoy.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2013, 01:39 PM

Hmmm... I can only think of violent open world games like GTA IV:

Sleeping Dogs
Assassin's Creed
Far Cry 3
Saint's Row 3 and 4 (4 is coming out in August)

Some of the Assassin's Creed games are medieval games if that's what you like, but again, they are violent, after all you're an assassin.

You might want to look at Lego Batman 2, but again there is a bit of violence there.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2013, 11:44 AM

Like I said - I'm not anti-violence in video games. The GTA games just aren't really my thing. I'd like some sandbox games where the missions don't involve murdering people and whatnot.

The newest LEGO game on the Wii U is really the only one like it, at least for now.

ETA: BF just bought GTA IV for the 360 today (it won't run on his PC anymore because Nvidia is retarded), so now that I'm watching him play it, I should add one of the biggest reasons why I don't like the GTA franchise:

It's way, way too depressing. The gang activity, the poverty, the environment - it's designed to be realistic, and it is. That said, I like games that make me laugh and are enjoyable, not ones that get me all emo about drugs and hookers and poor people. Just sayin'.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Jul 13, 2013 at 06:41 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Are you getting for 360 or waiting for next-gen?
Great question. I'm going to address this in the next-gen thread.

Whenever. Xbox got disconnected recently, thrown in a box and now gathers dust in the garage. Still undecided when I'll get a next gen.
Wowzers. Why are you so over the XBOX (I assume I missed this while I was gone)?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2013, 10:23 PM

I'm pretty sure he has a new gaming rig, rendering the Xbox obsolete.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2013, 04:58 PM

My internet connection is crap, I'm getting too old for FPSes (getting beaten too often by kids) and I'm starting flying lessons (PPL) after the summer. So I decided to get a PC for a certain Flight Sim (X-Plane) and also for the new home computer (20" iMac is from Feb 2007). The kids have their Xbox downstairs (Kinect Sports and Adventures) still. I'll miss the next Forza, but haven't seen anything else that makes me want an Xbox ONE (or a PS4 for that matter).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 14, 2013, 06:03 PM

I'm starting flying lessons (PPL) after the summer
Well thats awesome.

I'll miss the next Forza, but haven't seen anything else that makes me want an Xbox ONE (or a PS4 for that matter).
Not into single player games? It is early to be seduced by the new console games yet.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2013, 08:47 PM

Apparently the creator of Metal Gear Solid is "depressed" at how amazing GTA V is. Time to ramp up quality on the next title in his franchise...

Press Start: Hideo Kojima depressed by GTA V, Oculus Rift on consoles, and more | Technology | guardian.co.uk

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2013, 09:43 AM

GTA V, with marijuana, necrophilia, and penis. Penises, Marijuana and Much More in GTAV - IGN NEWS - IGN Video

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2013, 03:43 AM

So, Rockstar got West Coast Customs to build a Banshee...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2013, 04:33 AM

I hope this picture was taken before they spaced the rear wheels out to properly fit the wheel wells. The Banshee switched between looking like a Viper and Corvette, I'm curious to know what's under the skin of this replica.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2013, 04:55 AM

It's a Viper, and yeah those back wheels are a bit out!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2013, 02:41 AM

Microsoft Store is offering a $20 XBox live card if you pre-order it. Just reserved my copy. This game looks really really great! Can't wait!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2013, 10:43 AM

WCC fitted the new wheels to the Banshee, looks better now.

Rockstar and West Coast Customs Present the 2013 GTAV Bravado Banshee | Rockstar Games

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2013, 10:30 AM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2013, 03:31 PM

GTA V map size versus GTA IV

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 10, 2013, 03:36 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2013, 07:13 PM

What was the difference between IV and SA?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2013, 07:58 PM

Here it is:

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2013, 01:10 AM

Threw them together quick. This thing is monstrous.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2013, 11:00 AM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2013, 01:41 PM

How was travelling handled in previous GTAs?

That mountain shot looks really distorted. With a bizarre rectangle sprouting out of the summit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2013, 02:01 PM

How was travelling handled in previous GTAs?
YOu'll have to be more specific because my first response would be "cars".

That mountain shot looks really distorted. With a bizarre rectangle sprouting out of the summit.
Yeah, I noticed that too.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2013, 02:45 PM

I'm thinking fast-travel type functionality. You won't always have a car to hand, so I presume that there must be some (non-realistic) way to get from one place to the other.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2013, 02:48 PM

They had taxis in Vice City. Not sure in SA. Expect AC:III type loading times, though.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2013, 02:57 PM

On Wikipedia it says 2 x DVDs. I presume that an install will be required.

Taxis sounds like a good idea. Like I said, very tempted.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2013, 08:07 PM

They had taxis in Vice City. Not sure in SA. Expect AC:III type loading times, though.
Airplanes. Also, if you've finished the first part of a mission, once you respawn you can press triangle for "trip skip" where it will forward to a checkpoint.

You can ride the train from station to station.

I think this is why I could never get into Red Dead Redemption. It was like playing GTA:SA except you'd have to bicycle everywhere. The quick trip option was carriages that cost a tenth of my entire savings, so 90% of that game is riding somewhere on a horse.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2013, 05:05 AM

Lifeinvader

It's a kind of GTA V version of Facebook, sign in with your Social Club ID and 'stalk' companies and people to get freebies and discounts in the game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2013, 10:49 AM

I keep forgetting this is coming out. Who's getting this tomorrow?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2013, 11:55 AM

Not till Thursday - Amazon.fr couldn't send it before for some reason.

Forum Links
Forum Rules