Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Thats what "metal mail" could look like.

Thats what "metal mail" could look like.
RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2003, 05:34 AM

Just done a test to see if I would like it.

http://a2804655.eresmas.net/misc/MetalMail.jpg

P.S.: Not to let anyone jump to wrong conclusions. This is not from a leaked build! I donīt have access to them. Just did that myself with developer tools. It is the current version of Mail.app

Regards
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

rytc
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by RealMadrid:
In other words UGLY!!!

Appleman
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 05:42 AM

Don't like it

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2003, 06:34 AM

whatever, i didnt like safari for a long time, and then i got used to it and stopped caring. personally, i think that aqua looks a bit better (though i like itunes in the metal look).
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 07:50 AM

Aqua + Mail = Awesome. Metal + Mail = PUKE
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2003, 08:51 AM

I love it!

<ducks for cover>

No, honestly, I really love brushed metal. Aqua is just too bright and white for me. I guess it also has to do with the TFT. When I had a CRT it wasn't as bright, but since I got a TFT I need sun glasses.

I don't understand why Apple gets so many people into a fight on this issue. Just give us a global setting to chose either Aqua or BM for the whole OS and the apps.

I know I could theme, but I don't really trust these utilities 100% (there have been people who report not being able to clean their systems from these theme tools or having strange crashes after theming) and AFAIU they're not exactly one-click system prefs either...
â€Ē

squish
Mar 24, 2003, 09:28 AM

what i can't stand is that my 3 main apps (iTunes, Safari and iChat) are ALL metal. I'm on a freakin' metal overload.

It's like I don't see aqua anymore. VLC's remote is metal, etc.

it's really annoying, I think.

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2003, 09:47 AM

One thing you should consider is that Metal interfaces generally have more metal-like icons. An Aqua icon on a metal interface looks like ass I agree.

But I'm finding I like the Metal interface better than the aqua one. You can move the window around by clicking anywhere (not just the title bar), and I like the lighted aspect it has.

I especially like Cocoa's dynamic binding that lets the user choose the interface to the application he/she's using.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2003, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by quadgrande:
One thing you should consider is that Metal interfaces generally have more metal-like icons. An Aqua icon on a metal interface looks like ass I agree.

But I'm finding I like the Metal interface better than the aqua one. You can move the window around by clicking anywhere (not just the title bar), and I like the lighted aspect it has.

I especially like Cocoa's dynamic binding that lets the user choose the interface to the application he/she's using.
So true... I couldn't stand metal, but now I like it more then Aqua... the buttons make or break metal...

I think we should be able to choose, and Apple can pick the default...

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2003, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by squish:
what i can't stand is that my 3 main apps (iTunes, Safari and iChat) are ALL metal. I'm on a freakin' metal overload.
Yes, a single metal app is sort of nice. It stands out from the others and looks "cool".
The problem with metal is though, that if all/most apps are metal it just blends into an indistinguishable grey mess. In metal it's too difficult to tell the active from the inactive windows.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

stew
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 11:08 AM

So what? I don't care as long as I have InterfaceBuilder and access to the application's nib file.

We all know Apple's gone a little crazy over that whole Aqua vs Metal thing, can't we just ignore it?

Stink different.

ender2002
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 11:23 AM

P.S.: Not to let anyone jump to wrong conclusions. This is not from a leaked build! I donīt have access to them. Just did that myself with developer tools. It is the current version of Mail.app

Regards
I like it. The apps that I use 80% of the time are brushed metal anyway.

Could you post it for download?

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 11:45 AM

I converted my Mail.app for Metal too. With Interface Builder it only takes a minute. I use it every day that way, and I prefer it. I know some people feel differently, but I never really liked Aqua, so I convert Cocoa apps that I use regularly.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

nforcer
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 12:12 PM

A previous post of mine discussing the flaws in a metal mail:
---
The resize rect is much too big and overlaps part of the NSTextView. The captions of disabled items in the toolbar are harder to read than when on the standard aqua background (especially applies for disabled toolbar icons near the edges where brushed metal gets darker). And the resize widget with a dot doesn't seem as refined as the Aqua resize widget.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2003, 01:12 PM

IMHO, metal apps look best with simple, single color, "glass" icons. Take Safari for an example. Full color icons look best with Aqua. If Mail were to go "metal", I would hope they would replace the icons with something more like those found in Safari or iTunes.

OAW

RealMadrid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:
I like it. The apps that I use 80% of the time are brushed metal anyway.

Could you post it for download?
Sorry, but I canīt post it.

Anyway you can do it yourself. If you havenīt done already download developer tools from Apple (free) and install them.

Find Mail.app and ctrl-click the item. Choose "Show package content" from the contextual menu. Go to content/resources/english.lproj/MessageViewer.nib". Double click on it. It will open in "Interface Builder". In the "MessageViewer.nib" window. Select the icon of the window and go to menu "tools/Show info". In that window select the "textured window" option. Save and your done!

It`s easier as it seems. Good luck!
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2003, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
IMHO, metal apps look best with simple, single color, "glass" icons. Take Safari for an example.
Couldn't agree more.

Those 'metal' interfaces are cooler cos of their simplified icons.
Mail's metal interface is likely to match Safari.
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2003, 04:40 PM

Regards
You could have used that Unsanity tool, Metalifizer
we don't have time to stop for gas

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2003, 04:43 PM

I've been using Metalfizer on Mail.app for some time... So I already know what it looks like.. *^_^*

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Bobby:
I've been using Metalfizer on Mail.app for some time... So I already know what it looks like.. *^_^*
I use it brushed, i like it.
Have you tried making the System Prefs brushed. Not too shabby!
we don't have time to stop for gas

tikki
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 05:16 PM

blech. It sizucks. I will never understand how in two years, Apple can go from "AQUA! The second coming of christ" to making every piece of software they release Metal.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2003, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
blech. It sizucks. I will never understand how in two years, Apple can go from "AQUA! The second coming of christ" to making every piece of software they release Metal.
It does seem a bit silly after Jobs & Co hyped the "lickability" of Aqua so much -- I guess they'll start have to talking about the "magnetic appeal" of OS X now...

"Whoa! Better keep that floppy disk away from iTunes if you don't want to zot your data..."

"Psssst..."

tikki
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by The Evener:
It does seem a bit silly after Jobs & Co hyped the "lickability" of Aqua so much -- I guess they'll start have to talking about the "magnetic appeal" of OS X now...
EXACTLY.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

ambush
Banned
Mar 24, 2003, 09:04 PM

oh hum.

does somebody have a real screenshot of metal mail? I believe it's not THAT ugly..

Forum Links
Forum Rules