Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problem with IP Printing to HP Jet direct...any ideas??????

Problem with IP Printing to HP Jet direct...any ideas??????
rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2003, 06:25 PM

Hi,
This is driving me bonkers. It also is making an otherwise wonderful computer (iMac 400DV) look like a rank amateur! Except for this issue, the people I show this mac to are genuinely impressed (I show them the iphoto integration with idisk, photoshop, streaming itunes, etc) They all think this little old mac which I use to host a Filemaker Database is...pretty neat! None of them have really used or seen much of Macs before.

None of the PC people know about this IP Printing problem yet, so I want to get this fixed before they find out, so I hope someone can help me...

My iMac cannot IP print to a HP2100 attached to a HP JetDirect J3263A. Here is what happens with a simple "hello world" on a TextEdit document:

%!PS-ADOBE-3.0
%RBINumCopies: 1
%%Pages: (atend)
%%Title: (untitled.txt)
%%C

Now, I know this looks like some kind of Postscript thing. But I have tried everything from using a generic printer (it somehow keeps switching it to "Generic Postscript Printer" when I select "Generic Printer") to using nearly every driver included. The ease of setting up IP printing on this machine just blows my Windows desktop away, but...IT DOESNT WORK!!!!!!!!!! This really galls me!

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LPPPPPPPPPPP!

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

snerdini
Senior User
May 16, 2003, 06:46 PM

When you say that you tried almost all drivers available, was there a PPD available to download from HP's site? And if so, did you try that?

I print to a Ricoh AP2100 at work through an HP JetDirect 170x (I think) and everything works fine. I just downloaded the PPD from Ricoh's site, entered in the IP address of the print server, selected the PPD and I was off printing.

rlmorel  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2003, 10:25 PM

No. I tried all variations of the included drivers. It seemed logical to me that those would work, but I guess I was wrong.

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2003, 09:46 PM

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but did you install GIMP-Print for Mac OS X, along with GhostScript drivers?

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

Might be worth a try. I've heard that some people have better luck with GIMP than with the included Mac OS X drivers.

Also take a long around the site in the event someone has a FAQ or post that might help you out with the JetDirect.

From what I can see, the HP2100 with Gimp-Print uses the LaserJet 6 series driver (pcl-6).

"Psssst..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules