Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Do Not Install 10.2.8

Do Not Install 10.2.8
crayz
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 12:17 AM

Oh my dear jesus, what in the name of hell?

There is a post in the other 10.2.8 thread about it killing networking. This is *CONFIRMED*.

After installing 10.2.8 my computer sat there for a little while before restarting - I didn't notice, but the network was already dead.

I rebooted, network totally dead. At first I thought it was my college network - it has been flakey recently.

Then I thought maybe I'd been booted off by the admins - I'd done a fair bit of downloading recently. So for kicks I hooked up my old PC that I'm using to play around w/ Debian...and it worked.

Now I was getting worried. I thought this was almost certainly an issue of my MAC address from the G4 getting banned. It wasn't.

Just to be sure, I rebooted my G4 into OS 9, which I am in now. Which I am in now. And posting with. Because there is no god damn problem with my network, my NIC, my computer, or anything but Mac OS X 10.2.8

How in the **** could Apple release an update that destroys networking like this?

Please someone tell me there is a fix other than wiping things back down to 10.2

[xeo: attempted to edit title to a more descriptive name but it doesn't actually change it ]
( Last edited by Xeo; Sep 23, 2003 at 05:04 AM. )
"You have violated the spelling of the DMCA and will be jailed with the Village People."

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 12:23 AM

I have the same problem. It's just with built-in Ethernet though, not with AirPort. I tried resetting the PRAM, cutting all power to everything (modem, computer, etc.), disk warrior, fixing permissions, nothing worked. 10.2.8 sucks Anyone know how to fix this probelm?

At least I have a base station to connect with.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2003, 12:24 AM

Just because your computer update didn't work doesn't mean most people are having issues.

I updated and other then the doc being set back to the original, everything worked rather well...

b5garak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 12:25 AM

No Problems here on a Dual G4 1Ghz Quicksilver Both of my ethernet ports are working just fine.
�It's kind of like a ring thing, comes with a dialer: you hit the symbols, it spins around, and lights come on; and it kinda flushes sideways.�

B5Garak

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 12:26 AM

hmmm.... works fine for me, on all Machines upgraded to 10.2.8 so far.

crayz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 12:26 AM

mitchell_pgh - great. And I had sex with a woman with AIDS, and I'm perfectly clean. So I recommend that everyone go out and do it.
"You have violated the spelling of the DMCA and will be jailed with the Village People."

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 12:38 AM

crayz, you on a 450DP? Others on Version Tracker with a 450DP have the same problem. (I'm on a 450DP)

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 12:39 AM

2 computers work fine here. One on Ethernet and one on wireless. So how is is "confirmed" exactly?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 12:43 AM

Mine works.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

crayz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 12:43 AM

It is now fixed. I am on a G4/400(gigabit). The fix was simply another restart into OS X. Somehow this corrected things. Others have not been so lucky.

And for Socially Awkward Solo, it is "confirmed" because I installed 10.2.8 on 3 computers, and one's network got killed.

And because others have had this problem. Am I supposed to care that you didn't? Is the fact that not everyone, or even not the vast majority of people, have a certain problem, mean that this update isn't dangerous?

pb_lee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 12:49 AM

it seems that the battery life of powerbooks may be affected by the 10.2.8 update.
after installing i now only get 1hr 55m, where i used to get 3hr 30m or so with 10.2.6
it seems others are having this issue as well, check out the apple discussions (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@@.ef998ef)

12" PB G4, 640MB, 60G, SD, AE

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 12:54 AM

Just a question - have you tried repairing permissions? Although I had no problems with the update, some of the networking config files had incorrect permissions after the update.

It does seem that every OS update Apple puts out, 98% of people are fine and 2% have crippling problems. I've always been hoping that would stop as time went on, but I suppose not...

Good luck!

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
Just a question - have you tried repairing permissions? Although I had no problems with the update, some of the networking config files had incorrect permissions after the update.

It does seem that every OS update Apple puts out, 98% of people are fine and 2% have crippling problems. I've always been hoping that would stop as time went on, but I suppose not...

Good luck!
I did and it wasn't fixed.

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2003, 01:05 AM

there's always someone starting one of these silly threads... please just call it something else, you sound like an idiot.

-justin

Wevah
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by pb_lee:
it seems that the battery life of powerbooks may be affected by the 10.2.8 update.
after installing i now only get 1hr 55m, where i used to get 3hr 30m or so with 10.2.6
it seems others are having this issue as well, check out the apple discussions (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@@.ef998ef)

I just checked on my PowerBook, and sure enough, it only shows just under 2 hours of battery time. :/
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2003, 01:08 AM

Why is it that Apple OS updates frequently seem to make things worse rather than better?

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Why is it that Apple OS updates frequently seem to make things worse rather than better?
I think I have a 10.0 CD around here somewhere if you want it.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 01:20 AM

Installed in on a PowerBook G4 12" and on a PowerBook G4 DVI 800. Both running 10.2.8 fine. The DVI PB is loaded with apps, and everything seems fine so far.

t

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2003, 01:42 AM

How ironic. The 10.2.8 upgrade caused more troubles than any Panther pre-release

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2003, 02:03 AM

Yup, Ti battery problems.
36 mins remaining with a 69% charge, BEAUTIFUL.
Luckily I didn't install on my G4 500. I'll hold out for the rest of my network.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
hmmm.... works fine for me, on all Machines upgraded to 10.2.8 so far.
on an ancient beige G3 Rev A with an XLR8 467 G4, 10.2.8 networking is just peachy-keen. Both file sharing and DSL through a Link-Sys has no problems. The trouble is you guys with these new-fangled confusers.

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
Yup, Ti battery problems.
36 mins remaining with a 69% charge, BEAUTIFUL.
Luckily I didn't install on my G4 500. I'll hold out for the rest of my network.
Ouch! Just unplugged my iBook and I'm also seeing scarily reduced battery time. Not only is it about half of what it used to be, it's shrinking fast.

Oh well, with it this widespread I'm sure (like the networking issues) it'll be fixed soon.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 02:32 AM

No problems here
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by crayz:
mitchell_pgh - great. And I had sex with a woman with AIDS, and I'm perfectly clean. So I recommend that everyone go out and do it.
You gotta love all these folks with their brand of Internet logic

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 03:18 AM

Working fine on my G3 iMac.
KRO
Ali P

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 03:44 AM

No probs on a 500 MHz Pismo.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 03:59 AM

Please shoot yourself or take other, similar steps that will cause you to cease posting.

Every update, a very very small percentage of people will have some sort of problem - generally one that is easy to fix. Telling everyone else to avoid installing an update is pointless and counterproductive, especially as this update is the only fix for a major security hole.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Lertsiri
Sep 23, 2003, 04:11 AM

10.2.8 not giving same power readout as before on 10.2.7 on my powerbook G4 1 gig 17" Rev battery.
Main question is, will this ultimately damage my battery? should I then proceed to operate the powerbook without the battery and just have it running off the AC until Apple fixes the bug

will there be a 10.2.9? or will Panther fix this?

Lertsiri Boonmee

Currently shutting down PB 17" and using Pismo that was not affected by the upgrade to type these messages...
"Think Different and Just Do It"

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 04:13 AM

So far, I'm not having any problem at all, in fact, it seems the OS is faster now to me.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 04:44 AM

The ethernet problem is not an isolated issue. A good number of desktop G4 owners (mainly DP 450 and 400) have reported across several Mac forums that 10.2.8 hosed their ethernet. This is a serious problem that Apple needs to address. Some of you who are trivializing this issue seem to forget that not everyone is "Terminal-literate." Try explaining to Joe Average who has been affected by this bug how to swap the .kext files in question.

Bottom line, Apple screwed this one up and those who upgraded cannot sit there and twiddle their thumbs wondering if someone with the know-how will save the day or if Apple will get on the ball.

stew
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 05:14 AM

You just need a backup before you do risky things, right?

Stink different.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 05:23 AM

this battery issue is blowage..
is it just reading the battery wrong? or is it using more battery? in any case, i'm disconnecting my battery for awhile, so it doesn't damage the battery :-(

Zoro
Sep 23, 2003, 06:04 AM

Can someone with the ethernet problem try to connect with a crossover cable, or to a crossed hub/switch port ?

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by Zoro:
Can someone with the ethernet problem try to connect with a crossover cable, or to a crossed hub/switch port ?
I'll give it a try soon, I'm just about to install it now. I'll hook my Mc up to a PC with a crossover cable, and see what happens.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 23, 2003, 06:22 AM

all mine are talking to each other, just the same as they before.

here's a gift for the thread starter:
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2003, 06:42 AM

Ummm, perhaps if you weren't a child rambling on about a relatively small issue I would have given you some slack, but the issues seem to be about power management and ethernet connectivity on a few select G4 towers.

having sex with a woman with AIDS? Ummm, OK?

Obviously this is the sign of the coming of the end of the world!

kooBi
Sep 23, 2003, 06:46 AM

So is there a fix yet for the networking problem?

And if so, can someone please post a link

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2003, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
The ethernet problem is not an isolated issue. A good number of desktop G4 owners (mainly DP 450 and 400) have reported across several Mac forums that 10.2.8 hosed their ethernet. This is a serious problem that Apple needs to address. Some of you who are trivializing this issue seem to forget that not everyone is "Terminal-literate." Try explaining to Joe Average who has been affected by this bug how to swap the .kext files in question.

Bottom line, Apple screwed this one up and those who upgraded cannot sit there and twiddle their thumbs wondering if someone with the know-how will save the day or if Apple will get on the ball.
Actually this is an isolated issue. Powerbooks seem to have energy/battery problems and a number of G4 are having ethernet problems. What isn't isolated about that?

Apple did mess up, but at the same time don't go around saying that the sky is falling like the topic starter.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2003, 07:16 AM

Built-in Ethernet is working fine here after 10.2.8 installed.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 07:18 AM

nearly 50% of all apple sales are laptops. if nearly 50% of people that have bought macs now have issues with 10.2.8, i doubt it is an "isolated" issue.

also, many people depend on their ethernet ports for updates. if apple ****ed up their ethernet port, and they don't know how to swap out a kext, how are they going to fix it? (or even complain about it online?)

take your foot out of your mouth before you choke. i swear, some people are just so sheltered.

lay off. no one forced you to read this thread.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2003, 07:39 AM

Installed on G3 iMac DV 400. DSL via Ethernet works just peachy; Internet connection sharing/AFP via Airport to my 12" Powerbook - also running 10.2.8 - work just fine.

Haven't checked battery issue on Powerbook yet; will do when I get home from work.

-s*

Cipher13
Sep 23, 2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Ummm, perhaps if you weren't a child rambling on about a relatively small issue I would have given you some slack, but the issues seem to be about power management and ethernet connectivity on a few select G4 towers.

having sex with a woman with AIDS? Ummm, OK?

Obviously this is the sign of the coming of the end of the world!
I have no doubt that had you been among the effected, you'd be complaining.

These issues are anything BUT minor.

curmi
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 08:18 AM

I'm on a DP 450. Yes, no networking!

I rebooted to OS X 10.1 on another partition in order to send this message.

Also had a number of people contact me to tell me they have no networking after the update.

This doesn't look good.

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2003, 08:28 AM

Yah I think i'll wait till panther is released now and stick to 10.2.6

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2003, 08:31 AM

I'm not seeing this.

However, I am seeing a similar issue. If I switch between two locations which have different primary network interfaces (one using Ethernet and one using AirPort, for example) the network usually won't work right unless I reboot.

However, this is not new to 10.2.8; it's been in since at least 10.2.3, and possibly even earlier than that. It's quite an annoyance for me, actually.

I bring this up because it sounds as though it might be related to this new bug that some people are seeing.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 08:33 AM

I always try upgrades out on my iBook before I take any chances with my G4/450DP. (I've had way too many scary moments because of Apple's inapptitude with DPs.)

I installed 10.2.8 over an AirPort connection; before I ever registered that people had problems with it. For me it works; on my iBook, at least. (I was surprised to see a Norton SystemWorks message at reboot - I thought I'd killed that basterd...)

As for my battery... it's being sucked dry faster than I can draw my breath... well, sort of... I'm loosing an average of 10 minutes per minute...

I'm not trying 10.2.8 on my G4, though...

Bankmann
---------------------------------------------------
Phat Basterd: G4/450DP - 1GB RAM/735GB HD
Chiaki: iBook G3/700 - 256MB RAM/30GB HD
& at least 8 other Macs in the closet...

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 08:50 AM

Works on all my macs listed below.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

Mattia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 08:54 AM

the battery after been chargeg gives me 2 hours, and during this little typing is gone to 1:20 and I lost my iSub...
someone know the reason ?
Even if it was the iSub designed for iMac it works properly until this morning when I run the update
Mattia

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 09:12 AM

Dual 450 upgraded to dual 800. No networking. Dead

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 09:14 AM

Question for ///Milien...

I've got same TiBook as you - your battery performance unchanged?

Q for all PB users: are ALL of you having battery degrading effects? Is it ALL models? Is it a guarantee my battery performance'll be scrood or just a risk?

Forum Links
Forum Rules