Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > And we are complaining about not having a DVD player yet...

And we are complaining about not having a DVD player yet...
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2001, 12:11 AM

Microsoft will provide the resources for ripping MP3 files in Windows XP after all. But there is a catch: Consumers will pay extra for it.

The Redmond, Wash.-based company on Monday will announce two add-in packs for Windows XP, one providing full MP3 support and the other DVD playback.
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6567844.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

kooBi
Jul 16, 2001, 12:19 AM

That's a pretty stupid move by M$... are they trying to convert M$ people over or what? Once we get DVD support, of course

dgorog
Jul 16, 2001, 12:24 AM

I know, it's pathetic - You should also check out some of the new features coming to XP - like windows
Movie Maker or <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/guide/smarter.asp" TARGET=_blank>New Simplified Visual Design
</A>

Next thing they will introduce will be a colourful, animated dock...

dgorog
Jul 16, 2001, 12:26 AM

I know, it's pathetic - You should also check out some of the new features coming to XP - like windows
Movie Maker or <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/guide/smarter.asp" TARGET=_blank>New Simplified Visual Design
</A>

Next thing they will introduce will be a colourful, animated dock...

ink
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2001, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
[QB]Microsoft will provide the resources for ripping MP3 files in Windows XP after all. But there is a catch: Consumers will pay extra for it./QB]
Fun. Interesting that it's not a vital part of the operating system (ala Internet Explorer) when they can bilk their customers for more cash. Surfing the web with a Microsoft-controlled browser is vital, but listening to music and watching movies aren't really a part of the OS... Hmmm.

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2001, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
<STRONG>Microsoft will provide the resources for ripping MP3 files in Windows XP after all. But there is a catch: Consumers will pay extra for it.

The Redmond, Wash.-based company on Monday will announce two add-in packs for Windows XP, one providing full MP3 support and the other DVD playback.
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6567844.html</STRONG>
The funny part... C-Net seems to applaud the move. WHAT THE ****!?!?

jblakeh1
Senior User
Jul 16, 2001, 12:36 AM

Of course they're charging for it now... they don't have enough competition not to take their customers for everything they're worth.

I cracks me up that some of those whistler screenshots have that cleartype anti-aliasing, but the fonts don't actually have any character... in OS X, arial is clearly arial at 12 point... on Whistler, it looks like they just smoothed out the bitmap fonts. hahaha! That is just tragic.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2001, 12:42 AM

I am just shocked that people would be stupid enough to support a company that is obviously trying to rip you off and move you to their standards.

I am also surprised that this can be looked at as LEGAL.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2001, 12:50 AM

Did anyone else look at the picture of "taskbar grouping"? Basically, every different window for an application doesn't take up a spot on the taskbar. Instead you click the icon in the taskbar and get a popup menu of the open windows for that app. Gee, that's not straight out of OS X or anything
Regards,
Dave

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2001, 10:15 AM

One screen shows the trashcan in the lower right corner. Hmmmm..where have we seen that before?

It makes no difference what version of Windows they come up with. Using Windows produces the same feeling one gets when one discovers that one has just stepped in a pile of doggie doo doo.

madra [again!]
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2001, 11:19 AM

the really tragic thing is that when they bring out this micro$hit movie maker [or whatever the f**k it's called] all the press will rave about what an original and innovative piece of software it is and how micro$hit have now done for video what digital cameras have done for photography etc...etc... bllleeerrrggghh!!! pass the sickbag!
the original madra - airbrushed out of history in a stalinist manner!

madrasite - crap, junk and drivel

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2001, 11:42 AM

From the MS web site: "You can feel it coming. What computers and digitizing have done for music and photos is about to happen again with video. Home moviemakers have seen digital video cameras falling in price. More computer systems than ever are including DVD players. With Windows Movie Maker, Windows� XP Home Edition delivers the clincher�great software to help you create, edit, and share your home movies with either an analog or a digital video camera."

Get real! It's already here and Apple has had it (iMovie) since 1999!
Sheeesh! They act like they just invented home video editing.

"More computer systems than ever are including DVD players". Gee, wasn't Apple doing this back in 1999? They are playing catch-up and they act like they're innovating. Man they make me sick!

<jimmac>
Jul 16, 2001, 12:17 PM

PAY, PAY, PAY ! God knows Microsoft needes more money!

By the way they have always acted like they invented something!

Yes, Billy you got it right that's what I was implying!

<jimmac>
Jul 16, 2001, 12:20 PM

One more thing. And they say owning a Mac is expensive!

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2001, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett:
<STRONG>Did anyone else look at the picture of "taskbar grouping"? Basically, every different window for an application doesn't take up a spot on the taskbar. Instead you click the icon in the taskbar and get a popup menu of the open windows for that app. Gee, that's not straight out of OS X or anything </STRONG>
Mac fans just need to get used to MS ripping off apple's ideas. Unfortunately, I think this is a bad one to steal. I really like the windows task bar, about 100 times more than the dock in fact. oh well, not like im upgrading to XP anyway, win2k is fine.

And yes, I like OSX as well. I run both.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

ratfink
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2001, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett:
<STRONG>Did anyone else look at the picture of "taskbar grouping"? Basically, every different window for an application doesn't take up a spot on the taskbar. Instead you click the icon in the taskbar and get a popup menu of the open windows for that app. Gee, that's not straight out of OS X or anything </STRONG>
While MS may have been inspired by OSX for this feature, don't start thinking that it originated with OSX and the dock. BeOS has had it for years.

Geof
"I can see the future, and it's a place about seventy miles east of here."

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2001, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by madra [again!]:
<STRONG>the really tragic thing is that when they bring out this micro$hit movie maker [or whatever the f**k it's called] all the press will rave about what an original and innovative piece of software it is and how micro$hit have now done for video what digital cameras have done for photography etc...etc... bllleeerrrggghh!!! pass the sickbag! </STRONG>
Uhm Movie Maker was released as a part of WinME so it's not exactly new
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2001, 03:52 PM

I used winXP last week and was amazed by Luna. It has 2 themes so far: Blue and Silver. Hmmmm, sorta like Our Blue and Graphite!?

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2001, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by wr11:
<STRONG>I used winXP last week and was amazed by Luna. It has 2 themes so far: Blue and Silver. Hmmmm, sorta like Our Blue and Graphite!? </STRONG>
I actually think the Silver theme looks better then Aqua. It would match a TiBook well.

Anyone know were we can see screenshots of it?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ink
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2001, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by wr11:
<STRONG>I used winXP last week and was amazed by Luna. It has 2 themes so far: Blue and Silver. Hmmmm, sorta like Our Blue and Graphite!? </STRONG>
Luna. Aqua. Hmmm. A green translucent feel with pastel glowing controls. Hmmm. Pictures on the login box. Hmmm.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2001, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by ratfink:
<STRONG>

While MS may have been inspired by OSX for this feature, don't start thinking that it originated with OSX and the dock. BeOS has had it for years.

Geof</STRONG>
Regardless of where it originated, Microsoft probably got the idea to use that from seeing it in X not Be.
Regards,
Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules