Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Regrets Switching/Do You Look Back

Regrets Switching/Do You Look Back
bembol
Aug 18, 2005, 03:01 AM

Any regrets switching from Windows to Mac (or even vice vera)

It's been like two weeks since I made the switch...I have no regrets but I really missed Avant Brower...!!! A few months ago when I learned that it's not supported it made me think twice...so I worked on my RSX and delayed my Mini purchase, which worked out because of the new bundles...

I was never a fan of Firefox, to be honest I think Safari is the best for Mac...there's just something I really love about Avant, the features, customization, ease of use, etc.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Aug 18, 2005, 03:25 AM

Another good browser is called Shiira, google it. Also Opera on Mac is awesome. I will never regret switching to a Mac, matter of fact I find myself missing Linux on x86, but that is it. The only game per say that I play is World of Warcraft, so Im good on a Mac for that.

Windows blows, period.
iMac G4 / Macbook

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2005, 05:24 AM

I can't think of any single thing I miss besides games, but World of Warcraft is the only one I make time for anyway.

There are a hundred things I miss from OS X when I'm forced to use a PC. Thankfully, I now live in a house with four Macs and no Windows.

What exactly do you like about Avant browser that you can't find elsewhere? I took a look at their website, and I didn't notice anything that Safari or Firefox don't have. The interface looks pretty cluttered to me, a bit like Opera. Nothing is as flexible as Firefox with its extensions, but I prefer the simplicity and polish of Safari.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2005, 07:51 AM

I've never even heard of that make of browser before, honestly.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
Thankfully, I now live in a house with four Macs and no Windows.
But how do you look outside ?

There is nothing on Windows that I miss, especially that new virulent trojan/worm whatever that is going around.

My son still plays WOW on the PC, and I can see outside because we still have three Windows left in the house

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2005, 09:32 AM

I thought you regretted switching based on your thread title.

I switched back in '98 when the iMac first came out. Now that we have a great OS (didn't really care for the classic OS all that much), life is good.

I still have to use Windows at work and it's funny when I catch myself trying to use the Dock, Exposé or Spotlight. Dang!

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2005, 12:20 PM

I was at Best Buy the other day, and went to play on some laptops. Grabbed a super-tiny Sony laptop to play with and spent a minute trying to figure out why I couldn't get the dock to pop up. Felt pretty stupid after I realized what I was doing.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Aug 18, 2005, 03:08 PM

We added a Window yo our house last night, grrrr. My wife needed one for her work, cause the program they use is a windows only app, so we dug a PC back out of the grave for her. Made me ill just getting it mildly protected from the internet.
iMac G4 / Macbook

fobside
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2005, 01:01 PM

Here is my favorite FAQ question on the Avant site.

Is Avant Browser a secure browser?

Yes, Avant Browser is secure. Since it's based on Internet Explorer, Avant Browser is as secure as Internet Explorer. Avant Browser supports all SSL secured websites. Avant Browser's encryption length is the same as Internet Explorer's.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Aug 19, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by fobside

Yes, Avant Browser is secure. Since it's based on Internet Explorer, Avant Browser is as secure as Internet Explorer. Avant Browser supports all SSL secured websites. Avant Browser's encryption length is the same as Internet Explorer's.
ROFL. Ok now I can continue my dad with a smile. Avant is nothing more then an overlay for IE, of course it doesnt add security!
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple
Senior User
Aug 19, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by fobside

ROFL. Ok now I can continue my day with a smile. Avant is nothing more then an overlay for IE, of course it doesnt add security!
iMac G4 / Macbook

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2005, 03:08 PM

Microsoft is a great hardware company. Windows, however, is the world's only $600.00 system-level virus. It is nearly worthless and gets in the way. Most of the millions who use Windows every day are numb to their own misery, quite a lot like abused spouses or those suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

Mac OS is my first choice for many reasons. Its stability and Unix underpinnings are amazing. Best of all, Apple brings a sense of joy to computing. Mac users appreciate their software and hardware; their Windows counterparts merely tolerate them.

My 2¢.

Hawkeye
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2005, 04:02 PM

Stockholm Syndrome, definitely Stockholm Syndrome....

My best friend used Apple machines all the way up until the late 90's -- maybe 1999 or early 2000, then he built a PC because it was cheaper and has fallen deeply, madly in love with his captor.

I, on the other had, bought a G3 in 1998 and then bought a Ti PowerBook the year those were released. This past year, the PowerBook died. I didn't have the funds for a new "Pro" machine and I didn't want to have anything to do with the All-in-One iMac or eMac machines. (This was all just a handful of days before the mini.) Well, long story short, I fell in with the wrong crowd (the aforementioned "friend") and built an AMD Athlon 64-based machine. I came out of it a few days later, hated my machine, and still didn't have the cash to buy a Mac. I'll probably be picking up a new (or at least used) Mac in the next month or so.

Sure, I enjoy the challene of keeping it up to date and fighting of whatever the rest of the world has sent me for the day in terms of viruses, worms and trojans, but I do miss the little things about the Mac OS. I miss Bluetooth working, with my el cheapo Belkin bluetooth adapter than I bought at the dawn of the BT era. I miss syncronizing my contacts between my web-based mail, my desktop address book, my phone and my Palm, all with one application. I miss my WiFi not taking forever to re-establish a connection after I wake my computer. (Although, I do enjoy Hibernating.) I miss a version of MS Office that behaves itself. I miss flexible screenshots without a 3rd party app. I miss sticky notes without a 3rd party app. I miss making PDF files without a 3rd party app. I miss iPhoto. I miss iTunes being able to change the tags (and relocate it) on a file while it's still playing. I miss iCal. I miss QUALITY freeware and shareware that doesn't make me more uncomfortable than the thought of unprotected sex with a stranger who is rocking an OBVIOUS coldsore. I miss Alt-Tab switching between Applications, not processes. I miss iChat. I miss Hide (though Photoshop high-jacks the keyboard shortcut). I miss the Apple key; it's easier for me to reach with my strong thumb than Ctrl is with my weak little pinkie....

Yeah, I miss a lot of stuff. Regrets....

ph0ust
Senior User
Aug 24, 2005, 05:42 PM

until i discovered LaunchBar (shareware app), the only thing i missed was the "run" command in windows. that was it.

i have never had any reason to consider looking back, even though i am more of a windows power user than even a proficient mac user.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2005, 07:49 PM

I switched from Windows 3.1 to Mac OS 7.5.

No regrets at all.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2005, 02:22 AM

I built myself a 3.6 ghz Pentium 4. Windows is just too clunky. I still use my Powerbook as my primary machine.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 07:43 AM

No regrets whatsoever. 3 months after getting my first Mac I got my second one, 3 months after that I threw out the Win box without thinking twice. I love OS X and I'm trying to make everyone I know switch

Never going back!!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 25, 2005, 08:27 AM

I switched for XP SP2 to System 6. Never looked back.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

meta-phor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 06:36 AM

I switched in April last year from a Home built AMD based XP system to a G4 800mhz 256ram iBook and I honestly have never looked back. I just adore it the OS the look of the hardware etc.
Sadly being unemployed at the moment means my Mac Oddessy is on hold due to lack of funds but that will change eventually.
There is only one thing I miss and that is games. The iBook just doesnt cut it for games.
I still have my PC......not thrown in yet but it will happen.....

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2005, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Multithreaded Finder is da sh*t!!!!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Aug 26, 2005, 02:22 PM

Although I have used them a lot, I have never owned a PC. Why do I post?, you may ask. To second Horsepoo!!! and clarify olePigeon that MultiFinder is da bomb!!!!

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Jspeed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 03:25 PM

I miss the keyboard navigation in Windows, but otherwise I love my Mac.

c_waddington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jspeed
I believe there is an option in the Universal Access System Preference to make all controls accessible via the keyboard.
My setup:

12" iBook G3 800Mhz 640Mb
12" iBook G4 1Ghz 768Mb
Dual 1.25Ghz MDD G4 1Gb RAM

Guntis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 03:38 PM

In 2003 I built for myself P4 HT 2.6GHz, 512MB RAM, 2x160GB SATA HDD, Sony CD-RW, Pioneer DVD-RW, etc.
Then in April 2004 switched to Al PowerBook 15" 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, with SuperDrive. No regrets, PB is my primary machine since then. I turn on my PC once or twice a week to check a dozen of email accounts, and that's all... (I don't want to set them up on my Mac, I keep just my 2 primary email aco****s on my Mac).
The only thing that I find missing in Mac is file management in Open and Save dialog windows. OK, Default Folder X fills in some missing gaps, but still this could be done natively in Tiger. Then I miss folder merge feature when I drop folder onto another folder with the same folder name. At least Apple could give me an option to merge (consolidate) folder content, if I want to... But these are minor problems, comparing to Windows... In my humble opinion, Windows itself is the biggest virus and worm ever written...
Today my colleagues wanted to print some sertificates (using 3 different Windows machines) in our office (70 miles away from me), but could not. Print job stays in the print queue window, printer blinks green light, and then print job just disappears from the list... I tried to print out the same PDF file from my Mac - printer blinked green light and within 10 seconds it was printing!!! Who should regret?
“Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?”
(Al PowerBook G4: 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 64MB Radeon 7500, 100GB HDD, SD, AP, BT, Backlit keyboard; APEBS)

Guntis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 03:50 PM

May I ask -- how? You mean pressing arrow keys to press OK? Maybe... (Have you tried Universal Access options in System Preferences?)
But I am excited about keyboard navigation in Mac! Using Spark program I could assign all keys to different programs, just press:
Ctrl+Option+Command+M = Apple Mail is launched
Ctrl+Option+Command+S = Safari is launched
Ctrl+Option+Command+W = Word
Ctrl+Option+Command+E = Excel
Ctrl+Option+Command+L = Mellel
Ctrl+Option+Command+P = Pages
Ctrl+Option+Command+K = Keynote,
etc. ...
LaunchBar helps to launch any application just by pressing Ctrl+Space and a few letters from the application name. For example, Ctrl+Space > MW > Enter, and Microsoft Word is launched. Or just type any name and it's found in Address Book and all contact info is shown. Is there anything like that on Windows? May be, but I haven't heard of...
Then I added Plain Clip Plug to Spark and now in ALL text applications I have "Paste as Plain Text" shortcut. In Windows I was dependent on mercy of software developer to have this handy feature. Then lots of services which are available for almost all Mac applications, but that's beyond the scope of this topic.
“Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?”
(Al PowerBook G4: 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 64MB Radeon 7500, 100GB HDD, SD, AP, BT, Backlit keyboard; APEBS)

whackjob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 04:03 PM

Try Camino , it's better than Firefox at least the interface is on OSX.
Over all it's as fast and offers most needed features.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock

There are a hundred things I miss from OS X when I'm forced to use a PC. Thankfully, I now live in a house with four Macs and no Windows.

It must be really dark in your house. :-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Guntis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by driven
It must be really dark in your house. :-)
In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2005, 04:37 PM

Love it!
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

rslifka
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 05:34 PM

(PC user for 15+ years, custom built stuff, big BIG gamer, etc. etc. Switched from PC to iMac G5 20" last xmas)

I think for the first couple of weeks/months I really wasn't excited and felt a lot of buyer's remorse. In general I had a "ok... so where's the magic?" feeling. Those HP powerhouse AMD 64 boxes for $1000 were calling my name...

- The Mac wasn't doing anything my PC couldn't, and I was very confused about what files were where, the Open-Apple key, why I had to close applications twice, how to install an application, etc.
- I still can't read the key shortcuts on the menus because I have no f-ing clue what some of the symbols mean and after programming all day, Googling for that crap does not interest me.
- I think AppleScript is terrible because it's so freeform. Trying to learn it made me want to hit myself in the face with a sock full of doorknobs.

Why didn't I trade in my Mac?

- It started to grow on me. Things just worked. In the meantime, my PC friends are telling me about overheating, not being able to boot, etc. I can't even identify with that anymore. IRQ problems? Wtf? Because my G5 is so incredibly stable, I have even less tolerance for PC problems now
- I never need to reboot the machine; instant-on.
- I'm outgrowing games to the point where I used to love an evening of gaming, now I feel like I could have been out taking pictures or reading a good book. There are enough time killers (Sims 2, WoW) that if I wanted to get back in, they're all I'd need.
- Because I'm into photography, I feel the Mac exposes graphics-related things in a much more friendly manner (color spaces, etc.). I was into photography on the PC but all that stuff felt so hidden and difficult I never touched it.

Anyway, the most remorse I feel is when indie PC games get released and I can't play them. But like I said, I would just feel dirty afterwards anyway

Sometimes I wonder what I'll do when it comes time to move to the PowerMac... go back to the PC world? Then I think back to all the crap I went through with video card incompatibility and drivers. And the strange PC problems I could never figure out - like why my sound would pop occasionally. That sort of stuff just eats away at you and I know my tolerance for that sort of thing has gone down down down...

Rob

jlcrane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 06:13 PM

I switched 9 years ago. Do I have any regrets?? In a word, NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Windows is a virus.

Originally Posted by bembol
Any regrets switching from Windows to Mac (or even vice vera)

It's been like two weeks since I made the switch...I have no regrets but I really missed Avant Brower...!!! A few months ago when I learned that it's not supported it made me think twice...so I worked on my RSX and delayed my Mini purchase, which worked out because of the new bundles...

I was never a fan of Firefox, to be honest I think Safari is the best for Mac...there's just something I really love about Avant, the features, customization, ease of use, etc.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2005, 08:11 PM

If possible, keep the PC around. I don’t miss Windows. But sometimes I like having a Windows machine around for this-and-that.

e.g. I use eBay’s official eBay Lister software, which is free. The Mac equivalents are pay-ware and IMHO not up to scratch. I also don’t sell on eBay much enough to buy them.

I also use Auction Sentry which is another Windows eBay bidding software that I had already paid for, which I like.

And lastly, the Australian Tax Office allows us to do our annual tax stuff only via Windows. So I’ve used the same PC for the last 4 years for that.

I put the PC beside the television, and connect up with SVideo. Just so that I can watch XViDs via VLC on my home theatre; without fiddling with my PowerBook/TV.

It does also work as a iTunes client—accessing my music library on the Mac, or listening to streaming radio—but I never use that particular feature.

michaeljohn63
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2005, 01:24 AM

Anyway, the most remorse I feel is when indie PC games get released and I can't play them. But like I said, I would just feel dirty afterwards anyway

Sometimes I wonder what I'll do when it comes time to move to the PowerMac... go back to the PC world? Then I think back to all the crap I went through with video card incompatibility and drivers. And the strange PC problems I could never figure out - like why my sound would pop occasionally. That sort of stuff just eats away at you and I know my tolerance for that sort of thing has gone down down down...

Rob
Hey Rob, I am not a programmer, and can't profess to know the details, but it sounds like the MacTels will be able to run Windows at nearly native speed. If true, I wonder if games on a MacTel running Windows would suffer even less of a performance hit because they utilize the video card more than most other kinds of software. I also wonder whether gaming companies (including the smaller developers) will be more willing to port games to MacTel because recompiling will be easier. A few days ago, Intel announced it is going to be releasing all of its developer tools to OS X, and plan to make those tools be on parity with the Windows development tools for Intel processors. Again, I can't say for sure what this might mean, but it seems to indicate even more convergence for developers to write code nearly simultaneously for Mac and Windows. So, if you can wait until 2007 for your PowerMac, you may end up with the best of both worlds: a MacTel PowerMac that is really on parity with the most powerful Wintel machine available (if not surpassing it--Apple has always spent considerably more R&D than its competitors on hardware design) that runs OS X for 95% of your needs, and runs Windows for 5% of your needs (e.g. games).

One last question, I have: if Macs end up being based on Intel, using Intel's development tools, would it be possible for a third party company to come up with something that isn't windows, but makes games "think" they are running on Windows (so you don't have to hog resources with Windows and OS X and the game)? I only ask because I have a nephew who is way into Windows and he seems somehow able to disable much of Windows, run it "bare bones" so his resources can be as devoted as possible solely to the game.
[FONT=Garamond]Imagine no religion.[/FONT]

Jspeed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2005, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Guntis
May I ask -- how? You mean pressing arrow keys to press OK? Maybe... (Have you tried Universal Access options in System Preferences?)
But I am excited about keyboard navigation in Mac! Using Spark program I could assign all keys to different programs, just press:
Ctrl+Option+Command+M = Apple Mail is launched
Ctrl+Option+Command+S = Safari is launched
Ctrl+Option+Command+W = Word
Ctrl+Option+Command+E = Excel
Ctrl+Option+Command+L = Mellel
Ctrl+Option+Command+P = Pages
Ctrl+Option+Command+K = Keynote,
etc. ...
LaunchBar helps to launch any application just by pressing Ctrl+Space and a few letters from the application name. For example, Ctrl+Space > MW > Enter, and Microsoft Word is launched. Or just type any name and it's found in Address Book and all contact info is shown. Is there anything like that on Windows? May be, but I haven't heard of...
Then I added Plain Clip Plug to Spark and now in ALL text applications I have "Paste as Plain Text" shortcut. In Windows I was dependent on mercy of software developer to have this handy feature. Then lots of services which are available for almost all Mac applications, but that's beyond the scope of this topic.
I'm using Butler which is similar to LaunchBar so that's not a problem, and I've turned on full keyboard access. I just miss being able to access any menu item with (alt -> a letter -> another letter) or any item in a dialog box with (alt + a letter). This is different from the keyboard shortcuts on the Mac as I don't have to memorize anything.

brainiac_7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2005, 08:54 AM

I'm a switcher. I switched from Windows 95 to System 7.5 for my first Mac, a 9500. System 7 certainly had some problems; I remember blowing out a HD with the ultra-crashy Unreal game back then, but otherwise I haven't looked back, and besides Apple replaced the HD for free. At the time I missed sticky menus and hot keys, all of which are in OS X.

I liked a lot of the features in OS 9; rarely had problems with it, but when I went to troubleshoot others' OS 9 machines, I had to admit that I did a lot of pruning and upkeep to ensure my Mac ran smooth, doing things most users wouldn't care to or know how to. Still nothing as bad as frequently having to re-install the OS as most of my PC user pals were used to, but OS 9 still required some fairly nonintuitive upkeep.

OS X is fine with me. I've been using it since the Public Beta. I rarely think about that other platform, really, except when friends call for help it, which is often. It's not a great ad for the platform, AFAIC.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2005, 03:50 PM

Moved from a stuffed-togheter pentium originally bought in 1996 to a y2k iMac four years later.. no I can't say I looked back.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

ibugv4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2005, 05:21 PM

hi, i'm kc and i switched.

In the late 90s, around 98 as the iMac had just come out.. I has been tinkering with the older Pre-PowerPC Macs to keep up on the Mac SEs at school in the publication department. I finally went all Mac after a 1994 non-PowerPC Mac with half the clock, ram and hard disk space outpaced a Fully Loaded Pentium 75 (it wasn't even high end at the time, but it was only a year old and mid-range then) with operating America Online 4.0. At which point I said "screw it" and switched.

I remember OS 7.5, 8.1, 8.5, 9.0 (my first new Mac - iMac of 2000) and then OS X.

OS X is the bomb. I had a hard time getting used to it because I liked how the old OS worked, but the new OS has a lot of advantages and features that the previous lacked. I've used OS X since Jaguar in 2002 and I honestly can say that OS 9 is about as big a shock for me to use as is driving my 73 beetle after months of driving my 2002 beetle. Yeah, it's the "same," but it's just so totally not. for the record, I dropped aol a long time ago (just after swithcing to the mac) and my first cable connection was on my mac - i also refused to let the tech touch it after he got lost in the graphing calculator.

Back on track.. I loved the PowerPC and I am still mixed on the Intel movement, but I feel that both companies have a lot to gain from each other if they can play it straight. Let's see if they blew smoke up our arses in 2008, after they've had time to release a few models and we can compare with the yesterday-retro Apple hardware of the late 90s and early 21st century.

cheers to you all who switched, never had to switch, or are still considering.

i presently operate an imac g4 800Mhz, this replaced my eMac 1.25Ghz USB 2.0 Macintosh.. because design means more to me than speed. The iMac has never failed me, and neither did the eMac. The iMac's sharper LCD and flexable neck allowed me to use the computer in my various small apartment dwelling with more ease, and has inspired me to continue my photography. Like others who have spoked, my creative side came out more on the mac.. and i feel that it was artisans who started and continute to innovate this amazing machine.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by rslifka
- I still can't read the key shortcuts on the menus because I have no f-ing clue what some of the symbols mean and after programming all day, Googling for that crap does not interest me.
Here's a handy little cheat sheet for you:

⌘ - Command. Corresponds to the key on the keyboard that has the ⌘ symbol on it (the command key is also sometimes called the open-apple key).

⌃ - Control. Should be familiar to anyone with UNIX roots.

⇧ - Shift. You can remember this because the Shift key shifts keys up to uppercase, hence the up arrow.

⌥ - Option. You can remember this because the graphic resembles an electrical switch. The current is deflected from the path it was on to an alternate path. Hence, the option (or "alt") key, which causes something different to happen - for instance, changing Get Info from opening multiple windows for a multiple selection to opening the multiple item inspector instead.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Aug 27, 2005, 06:06 PM

I don't think I'm a true switcher, yet. I still have a Windows PC around, but I've had some Macs for three years now. I started with an iBook running OS X 10.1 in 2002, and moved up to a PowerBook this year. I have an old beige G3 sitting around that I picked up for $25, and it's a server now. I still use my Windows PC -- it's some nicely decked out Athlon 64 system, and it is fast, and it plays games about as fast as anyone could ever need, but I really don't play games much anymore, and I just don't feel like I'm having a good computing experience when I use Windows on that machine. I find myself more often just plopping down on my couch and opening the PowerBook. Mac OS X actually makes me feel productive, instead of making me feel like I'm going to have to fix something before I start working. That said (and it's probably a sin to say the following) I do have Mac OS X Intel running on my Athlon system, and I run that on the machine the majority of the time now. Looks like I'll be replacing that thing with the next PowerMac after I'm out of college. I guess I'm only not a true switcher because I haven't completed the entire thing of dumping all my Windows machines. I definitely expect that to come in time, though. Money isn't the easiest thing to come by as a college student, and that's the only reason I still have a Windows machine (had it for years). I think I'll consider myself switched once I have that PowerMac on my desk. Can't wait for that to happen

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2005, 06:59 PM

i switched to mac on august 5 to an AlBook (15" / 1.67 / 1gb / superdrive / 80gb/ 64mb video, 160gb external) and have little regrets. i built a pc a couple months ago (amd64 3500+, asus a8n-sli deluxe, 1gb, 410gb, dual 6800gt 256mb in sli) and i hate that i never use it. i do play half-life 2 and cs: source on it occasionally but that is about it. osx is so simple and easy to install and uninstall apps. once osx for x86 comes out i will be all over it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2005, 08:44 PM

I'm using Butler which is similar to LaunchBar so that's not a problem, and I've turned on full keyboard access. I just miss being able to access any menu item with (alt -> a letter -> another letter) or any item in a dialog box with (alt + a letter). This is different from the keyboard shortcuts on the Mac as I don't have to memorize anything.
^F2 (that's control-F2) and you're in the menu. type the first letter of the command you're looking for and/or use the arrow keys.

Full keyboard access is in the System Preferences --> Keyboard&Mouse --> Key shortcuts

Guntis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Here's a handy little cheat sheet for you:
⌥ - Option. ... for instance, changing Get Info from opening multiple windows for a multiple selection to opening the multiple item inspector instead.
Wow! This is something new for me! Tiger used to open separate Get Info windows for all selected files, unless they were more than 8. Now I can get inspector info for even 2 selected files.
Thank you for the tip!!!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
^F2 (that's control-F2) and you're in the menu. type the first letter of the command you're looking for and/or use the arrow keys.
I KNEW that was there somewhere-- thanks! I've had a couple episodes where my mice have been going bad (the Apple one-butan mouse always goes where the wire meets the mouse--I've had three fail, now) and I've wanted a way to get around via keyboard, but just couldn't remember it.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

WitchKing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2005, 10:29 AM

A month ago, I purchased a second hand iBook (barely any milage on it, original owner compulsively bought it and didn't like it). I was instantly amazed. I haven't touched mac since, well, the early 90's. The reason why I wanted one is because of OSX's Unix underlay... I am a linux guy, and forever shall be but I must say that I like Aqua a hell of a lot more than Gnome and KDE. So I purchased an other mac this week, Mac Mini.

I would like to say that I made the switch, but does it count if I didn't use Windows in the first place? So now my linux boxes have been shoved into the closet (still powered and operational) awaiting my remote command!

And just for the hell of it... I hate Windows, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!

Hawkeye
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Guntis
The only thing that I find missing in Mac is file management in Open and Save dialog windows.
Blech!

File Management in an Open/Save dialog? They're for opening and saving, not for moving files around and DEFINITELY not for deleting them. (I've watched countless people at work move and even delete files while in the process of opening a file. Idiots, yes, but really, should this be possible?) Use the file manager for managing files. Use the open/save dialogs for opening and saving.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
⇧ - Shift. You can remember this because the Shift key shifts keys up to uppercase, hence the up arrow.
FYI, that character doesn't display correctly in Gecko-based browsers.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2005, 06:19 PM

I never switched. I literally grew up with Macs. I learned how to use a computer when I was like 3 or 4 and that was on a Mac II I think (with a portrait monitor). A few years later I grew more interest in them and I learned the Way of the Mac™ on an SE/30 and an LC.

During the very dark days of Apple in the 90s I bought a Performa 5300 (total POS) but before I bought that one I was thinking about buying a PC. They were cheaper (and probably better back then). But I couldn't do it in the end.

I'll be a Mac user forever.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 28, 2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
Use a real browser.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2005, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules