Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which Palm Tug. to buy?

Which Palm Tug. to buy?
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 08:00 AM

Double post on account of temporal craziness at MacNN. (did somebody dose the hamster?)

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 08:03 AM

NOTE: Read this post after the next 3. x_user was the OP. I don't know what I'm doing here.

When the T5 came out, there was something about it that a lot of people hated. I believe it lacks a voice recorder and vibrating alarm functionality, both of which were available on the earlier T series models. I don't know if the TX reinstated either feature. If either matters to you, you may want to double check (http://www.palminfocenter.com would have the details for sure); if you don't care, the T5 sounds like a good bet for you.

x user
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 01:52 PM

So I've recently noticed I need a PDA again. Scheduling and notes mostly. I may need to use it for some excel or excel compatible documents too. What would you do? I'm looking at T3's on ebay for 125-150ish or a TX for 250ish. I don't have a hell of a lot of money right now, but I'll spend it if I need to. I've been out of PDA's for soooo long that I have no clue what I need, I read the specs, but it's all french to me.

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2006, 03:38 PM

i searched for both handhelds and i think the main diference between T3 e TX is the Wi-Fi card in the TX and the 128 MB of RAM.. They both have Docs to Go so you can use/edit excel.
And i think that the tungsten family is suported by iSync without having to purchase "the missing sync". (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html)
So if you want surf the web with your palm where a wireless internet conection is avaiable, go for the TX. If you really don't care about it, go for the T3, it's cheaper.
I have an old Palm M505 that works great for me, i use only for contacts and date book for my work and i have Docs To Go installed to do some Excel in it too.
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 04:31 PM

The form factor is a big difference between T3 and TX, the T3 being the last one with the slider. But the TX has the Virtual Graffiti area, same screen rez, and is a little thinner, so they're about the same, bulk-wise. I had a T3 and thought the slider was a pain in the butt. If I were getting one, I'd go for the TX just for the Wi-Fi. But also because a lot of T3s had problems with "digitizer drift" later in life, where the bottom edge of the screen registered the stylus taps all wonky. Happened to mine.

x user
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 05:02 PM

So if I don't care about Wi Fi, the T5 would even be a good option? Getting rid of the slider while still keeping costs down. Expandability is just as good?

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2006, 05:05 PM

yes, i think so...
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2006, 02:20 PM

I have a T2 that I really like. All Tungestens are supported by iSync so you don't need to buy Missing Sync.

Forum Links
Forum Rules