Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Demo for Collin McRae 2005

Demo for Collin McRae 2005 (Page 2)
1800-whatever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2006, 11:37 AM

@ GnOm :
I remember reading something about that as well, but I think it had something to do with people having a bad attitude towards Microsoft for buying Bungie, not because the game was a bit older once it arrived for Mac.

The WRC cars are all still valid the only slight change from reality this year and the game is the newer model of the Ford Focus WRC (looks pretty much the same) and a few more privateer cars (like Sebastian Loeb's Citreon team aka Kronos Racing).
Yes please , very much looking forward to the demo

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 04:36 PM

we should make a gambling pool. What's the over under on this thread making it to one year old before the demo is available. (keep in mind that it was already considered "late" by many when this thread was opened).
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Snooperino
Baninated
Aug 4, 2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
MarathonDeskMount, the iMac DID NOT have a 128Mb Radeon 9600. That card did not appear in ANY iMac until July 2005. The only Macs that had 128Mb of VRAM were the Power Mac G5 and a few PowerBook G4s that were BTO. If you think that a company can afford to outfit everyone with these systems, think again. The PowerBooks were almost $3000 each. Edwin, I got respect for you man. You put up with more flak than a WWWII bomber, and you don't even show it. The good people at Feral are putting their time and hearts into this game, and look what most of you MacNNers give them back.
First off, you're an idiot. He said 64 megs was the requirement with a 1ghz processor, 128 megs was suggested. The run of the mill iMac has had a 64 meg graphics card and a 1ghz processor since Feb 4th, 2003.

But if you want to get technical:

From everymac.com:

May 3, 2005, ATI Radeon 9600 w/ 128 MB
... of DDR SDRAM (AGP 8X).

iMac G5 1.8ghz

You are wrong.

And sorry, I will give them about $20 in exchange for their hard effort, but no more than that. The new intel macs can just boot into windows and play this exact same game for a mere $10 or so off ebay,.... but honestly... now that "CIDER" is around, I bet they won't even finish porting it.
( Last edited by Snooperino; Aug 4, 2006 at 04:29 AM. )

Snooperino
Baninated
Aug 4, 2006, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kristoff
we should make a gambling pool. What's the over under on this thread making it to one year old before the demo is available. (keep in mind that it was already considered "late" by many when this thread was opened).
I'll wager it will come out in January, 07. Then it will be well over TWO YEARS late.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 23, 2006, 11:42 PM

Still waiting..... it's almost the end of august now.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2006, 04:54 AM

This has gone from a little silly to completely ridiculous. This game was initially announced for a Fall 2005 release date, we're approaching Fall 2006. I NEVER get worked up about games being late, never, but this has gotten under my skin big time. I want the game, but I'm reaching the point where I don't even care anymore. Come on Feral, let's get this thing going!!

Tom

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 24, 2006, 05:50 PM

Indeed. Would you pay $40-50 for it Madison? I sure as hell won't.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2006, 08:35 PM

Not if I can avoid it. J&R had it for pre-order a few months ago for $37.99. I just checked, they STILL have it for $37.99 and listed as "coming soon". I can't believe how long this is taking...they were talking about releasing a Demo months ago.

Tom

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Madison
Not if I can avoid it. J&R had it for pre-order a few months ago for $37.99. I just checked, they STILL have it for $37.99 and listed as "coming soon". I can't believe how long this is taking...they were talking about releasing a Demo months ago.

Tom
I mentioned we would have a demo Feral never mentioned any dates AFAIK on when.

If the game could have been released by now it would have, I cannot go into details but we have not been sat with the code saying lets make everyone wait!

Lets just say those who want to play Colin will buy it and those who don't want to pay won't play it.

I know what I say will not appease all of you but I was a Mac gamer before I moved into Mac Games Development and I know your feelings on the subject of ports and timings but sadly with complex games porting is not as easy as click click done.

All the best,

Edwin

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2006, 05:03 AM

Edwin,

I don't pretend that it's easy. Believe me, I NEVER post complaining about how long it takes to port a game. The only reason I bitch about this game is because I am absolutely DYING to play it! A PC friend of mine has had it and been raving about it for a LONG time, so I can't wait to see what he's raving about.
On another note, I think you know someone I race online with in the Mac Nascar 2003 racing league. We've mentioned this game on our forums and he talked about knowing you.
Keep working and get that game out ASAP!!

Tom

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Madison
Keep working and get that game out ASAP!!
Better stop posting and get testin

Cheers,

Edwin

insert_coin
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2006, 11:37 AM

Some news?

Will be playable in a G4 at 1.8ghz and a Radeon 9000 64mb's?

Thx.
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look and do nothing.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 09:32 AM

You asked....

Originally Posted by insert_coin
Some news?

Will be playable in a G4 at 1.8ghz and a Radeon 9000 64mb's?

Thx.
Previously in a thread not to far from here.....

2nd Post in the thread
Originally Posted by insert_coin
Here the same to ask and I want to know the system requirements.

Meanwhile, check this wheel.
3rd post in the thread
Originally Posted by edddeduck
It is our policy not to post system requirements until development is almost finished, this allows us to get more accurate specs before announcing them. In general the Mac spec is around the same as the PC version. (PC min spec is 1Ghz with a 64MB graphics card.)

So to sum up, see my previous post above, but when we do finalise the spec I will post in the forum and let you all know.

Cheers,

Edwin

itschestercopperpot
Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 09:44 AM

Huh.... it's almost october and this game still isn't out yet. Big freaking surprise.

Vilagos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 02:49 PM

Amazon is accepting orders for this game. Amazon also claims it was released on 15 Sept. I located this forum searching for the system requirements. Judging from my research Amazon simply had the game loaded up to begin retailing on 15 Sept regardless of whether it actually got released.

Reading through the posts, I am amazed to see Feral responses. I've sent them a number of emails asking about the game and heard nothing back. After the long wait, I think that my machine won't be able to handle the game. It could barely handle TIR and McRae seems much more complex and graphically intensive.

Frankly, I don't understand the attitude of not "paying full price for an old game." If you have a PC, then you don't care about the Mac version. If you have a Mac, then it's a new game. Better to support the developers who support the platform.

Speaking of, Rallyshift from CodeBlenders is quite good dynamically although not graphically spectacular. If you care about driving, rather than scenery, it's worth checking out the demo.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Vilagos
Amazon is accepting orders for this game. Amazon also claims it was released on 15 Sept. I located this forum searching for the system requirements. Judging from my research Amazon simply had the game loaded up to begin retailing on 15 Sept regardless of whether it actually got released.
Correct we have informed our distributors of the delay to Colin, Amazon must have some automated system that has not updated.

Originally Posted by Vilagos
Reading through the posts, I am amazed to see Feral responses. I've sent them a number of emails asking about the game and heard nothing back. After the long wait, I think that my machine won't be able to handle the game. It could barely handle TIR and McRae seems much more complex and graphically intensive.
That is strange, as we have answered hundreds of questions without an issue, when and more importantly where did you email us?

Cheers,

Edwin

Vilagos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 03:51 PM

**That is strange, as we have answered hundreds of questions without an issue, when and more importantly where did you email us?**

It's been a whlie that I've been tracking progress on this game, so I can't say absolutely for sure. My belief is that I used an email link internal to the Feral.co.uk site, where I have this game's mini-site bookmarked. The last I wrote was in the period after the Xmas 05 release date came and went without news.

Honestly, Feral has every right not to reply, especially if there really isn't any news. I'll be looking here for future updates. Fingers crossed that a lowly 800Mhz G4 iMac will be able to play the game. Good luck!

shoma79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 11:16 PM

Thx for all, Edwin, we wait in the seat and ready to run

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2006, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kristoff View Post
we should make a gambling pool. What's the over under on this thread making it to one year old before the demo is available.

Too bad I didn't get any takers. I need the money for a PS3 so I can buy the Formula 1 game.

insert_coin
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2006, 12:18 PM

I'm still waiting, and saving money for MOMO gear.
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look and do nothing.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2006, 01:08 AM

Figure 1: Mac users who started waiting for CMR Mac Edition as teenagers.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 22, 2006, 03:22 AM

told You So!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 26, 2006, 03:49 PM

Yay! 2007 is almost here!

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 05:32 PM

insert_coin
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kristoff View Post
Figure 1: Mac users who started waiting for CMR Mac Edition as teenagers.

LOL

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 3, 2007, 12:29 PM

Is ANYBODY still willing to shell out $50 for this game?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2007, 04:16 PM

Not anymore. Although I'll for sure get the demo.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 10:35 PM

Are we there yet?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 10, 2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
Early next year.
Riiggghhht.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 06:50 AM

The game is in beta and we are getting close(r) to a release version. I cannot go into details on the reasons behind the long port but let just say if we could have shipped before now we would have, this specific game had issues that have take time to resolve.

But never fear it is really in beta with external testers and it will be shipping in 2007.....

Edwin

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2007, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the update! Can't wait for a demo. If you ever need someone to beta test

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
The game is in beta and we are getting close(r) to a release version. I cannot go into details on the reasons behind the long port but let just say if we could have shipped before now we would have, this specific game had issues that have take time to resolve.

But never fear it is really in beta with external testers and it will be shipping in 2007.....

Edwin
Sure it is. Just like it was coming out in early 2006.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 20, 2007, 12:59 AM

AHahAHhahahahaha..... now it's coming out in Summer 2007. Even though it was coming out in Spring 2006, which is already about 1.5 years after it's release on the XBOX (not 360!!!!) and PC!

HAhahahahah what a freakin joke. God I hope people torrent the CRAP out of this game and you make ZERO dollars. It's this type of 'lateness' that makes mac gaming such a freakin' joke. Who the hell would pay for htis game, considering it originally came out in 2004/2005ish sometime?!?!?! God this is hilarious.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 1, 2007, 07:06 PM

It's now April.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2007, 07:46 PM

Is the demo ever gonna come out?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 3, 2007, 12:24 PM

Negative.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 9, 2007, 10:21 AM

The funny thing is the WRX is soon going to be a completely different body style. Not that the 04 version was the same as 05, 06, or 07, but still. My point is that the WRX has gone through more revisions and COMPLETE updates while this game has been WAITING to come out on the mac side. What a freaking joke.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 20, 2007, 04:36 AM

Weeee!

Super Mario
May 20, 2007, 06:22 AM

Who would prefer this old game to playing Colin McRae : DIRT under Boot Camp?
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:53 PM. )

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 12:46 AM

some of us (i.e. PPC owners) don't have that luxury.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 29, 2007, 01:33 AM

I'd say you're definitely in the minority. The specs to play this game nicely will probably be pretty high. What a freaking joke. I hope they make this game available for free download, because that's all it'll amount to. You know, when they finish, in 2015.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2007, 10:21 PM

The WRX has gone through 1 facelift and a redesign since the game was announced and the Lancer Evo X came out. By the time the game is out, all of the cars will be for sale on Barret Jackson as collectibles.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 29, 2007, 11:16 PM

AHahahahahaha. Well said.

insert_coin
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2007, 07:50 AM

Hey, I'll buy this game with one condition: must be released before 2008.

Super Mario
Jun 14, 2007, 07:57 AM

I'll buy Colin McRae : DIRT
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:09 PM. )

insert_coin
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2007, 07:58 PM

If this game releases before 2008, I'll eat 4 packs of donuts with coffee (police style).

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2007, 10:21 PM

hahah uhhhh .....uh....

what were we talking about again?

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 5, 2007, 11:24 AM

Yeah, you guys might as well release this free, nobody is going to buy it anymore.

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 3, 2007, 01:01 AM

Hey now it's August! No way! >rolls eyes<

Super Mario
Aug 3, 2007, 07:53 AM

DIRT is light years ahead of this trash, except look at this

Recommended specs for Colin MacRae : DIRT

Core 2 Duo 2.6Ghz
2GB RAM.
GeForce 8800 or Radeon X1950

Time to upgrade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:12 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules