Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 80)
ajprice
Professional Poster
May 9, 2007, 09:28 AM

I've been on the messenger chatting and it works pretty well, USB Mac keyboard plugged in and working fine, so no trying to type with a gamepad. The keyboard also makes a pretty good job of going through the menu system too (cursor keys for up, down, left, right, enter for select, escape for back, apple key for the xbox button).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

highstakes
Senior User
May 9, 2007, 11:58 AM

Much needed update, now I dont have to "play game" to find out what game is in the 360. Achievement makeover is also a nice touch!

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 9, 2007, 12:35 PM

If you are wondering what 'Reference Levels' are in the displays prefs (I was), here is an explanation - its to do with black levels in the picture on screen, especially movies, intended to fix the VGA connection looking washed out.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2007, 12:56 PM

It's kind of funny that it took them so long to add the ability to display what is in the drive. They displayed that capability many months ago in previews. From what I understand, PS3 games have some sort of identifier that tells what the disc is, but for some reason 360 games don't seem to, which makes me think that they are using a database that has the total sizes of the data on the disc (or something) to figure out what a particular game is.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2007, 02:42 PM

I don't know if this has been posted before, but here ya go:

PS3 vs 360 vs Wii power usage during gaming

PS3 vs 360 power usage during HD movie playback

The Wii uses less than 20 Watts peak during gaming.

highstakes
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 02:48 AM

Forza 2 demo is suppose to be on live pretty soon...cant wait

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 08:13 AM

Saw someone on my friends list playing it this morning - guess it was released?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

The Wii has a LOT less CPU and video compared to the XBox 360 and the PS3.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 10, 2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

My old sony walkman uses less power than my home theater system.

What is your point?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 12:18 PM

rflaw with the live messenger is that it won't let you sign in on MSN Messenger (On your mac) and Live Messenger (on 360)
we don't have time to stop for gas

highstakes
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 04:58 PM

just downloaded the Forza 2 demo, pretty damn good...the sound quality is amazing!

Brien
Professional Poster
May 19, 2007, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
It's kind of funny that it took them so long to add the ability to display what is in the drive. They displayed that capability many months ago in previews. From what I understand, PS3 games have some sort of identifier that tells what the disc is, but for some reason 360 games don't seem to, which makes me think that they are using a database that has the total sizes of the data on the disc (or something) to figure out what a particular game is.
Actually, I think they do, they just never utilized it (until now).

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2007, 12:06 AM

combine DiRT and Forza 2 and the 360 has some awesome Racing games
and drooool over Bioshock.

riley46
Jun 8, 2007, 10:33 PM

I'm not into gaming for some time already, but the one console that aroused my interest is Wii Nintendo. It is on my wish list right now.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 9, 2007, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by riley46 View Post
I'm not into gaming for some time already, but the one console that aroused my interest is Wii Nintendo. It is on my wish list right now.
If are not "into" games, then you will love the Wii.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2007, 07:46 PM

why? Because the controller is different?
This argument about not being into games and therefore the wii appealing makes no sense..

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
This argument about not being into games and therefore the wii appealing makes no sense..
My mother doesn't like most modern video games. She feels like she has to put too much commitment into them. She does, however, like the Wii. Whatever the reason, it does hold true.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I think it makes sense to some degree. The Wii and its games are largely targeted at people who weren't into video games before. So there are a lot of party/mini-game oriented titles that don't really require much experience with games or a large investment in time. On the other hand, people like me who are into games and who care about graphics are probably less likely to like the Wii. These are of course broad generalizations, but I think they hold true. There aren't very many hardcore gamers who would choose the Wii as their only system.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 10, 2007, 12:17 AM

I think it makes sense to some degree. The Wii and its games are largely targeted at people who weren't into video games before. So there are a lot of party/mini-game oriented titles that don't really require much experience with games or a large investment in time. On the other hand, people like me who are into games and who care about graphics are probably less likely to like the Wii. These are of course broad generalizations, but I think they hold true. There aren't very many hardcore gamers who would choose the Wii as their only system.
Well said! Every non-gamer I know who has tried the Nintendo Wii, absolutely loved it...its simple gameplay that gets them hooked. Ask those non-gamers to play Gears of War, and you will keep hearing "how do I do this?" or "why do i keep dying?" things like that; with the Wii, you tell them once and they figure it out.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
Well said! Every non-gamer I know who has tried the Nintendo Wii, absolutely loved it...its simple gameplay that gets them hooked. Ask those non-gamers to play Gears of War, and you will keep hearing "how do I do this?" or "why do i keep dying?" things like that; with the Wii, you tell them once and they figure it out.
Why would "non-gamers" be playing Gears of War? That's the DUMBEST statement ever. That's like saying "non-computer users" don't know how to print.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Why would "non-gamers" be playing Gears of War? That's the DUMBEST statement ever. That's like saying "non-computer users" don't know how to print.
Whats the dumb part?

I either had co-workers, classmates or roomies who wanted to play PGR3 because they saw me or others playing, and the closest to games they play is solitaire at work. You never saw parents at Target or EB games near those Wii/PS3/360 units and playing the demos??

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 12:13 PM

Nope. Never. Always kids.

"Here, mom, try Gears of War".

Seriously, do you think that really happens?

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Nope. Never. Always kids.

"Here, mom, try Gears of War".

Seriously, do you think that really happens?
I was trying to make a point by saying non gamers adapt to the Wii games lot faster than they would with an 360 or a PS3. Playing Wario Ware is lot easier for my non gamer friends than playing GoW, I dont hear "how do I do this?" while they play WW. I never saw GoW on a sample display, but I do see PLENTY of parents watching their kids play the Wii demos and saying "let me try that". Something I never saw while I worked at Funcoland back in the mid 90's. Read "Chuckit"s comment.

So yes, it does happen. I cant think of a reason why 7 million "gamers" would buy the Wii instead of the 360.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 10:22 PM

Well, I sold my Wii. And bought a. . . PlayStation 2. Go figure!

I'll revisit these "next-gen" consoles in two or three years time and make my decision once again then.

riley46
Jun 15, 2007, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post

I'll revisit these "next-gen" consoles in two or three years time and make my decision once again then.
I think you made a good decision but my heart shouts for Wii at the moment. As far as I can remember, Nintendo was the first to put a gaming machine on the market. Then the others follow with their own much better versions. I don't see any reason now if all of them won't follow suit on Nintendo's lead which is Wii. Maybe, in two or three years time, one of them can come up with an answer. Just my two cents.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 02:51 AM

I think you made a good decision but my heart shouts for Wii at the moment. As far as I can remember, Nintendo was the first to put a gaming machine on the market. Then the others follow with their own much better versions. I don't see any reason now if all of them won't follow suit on Nintendo's lead which is Wii. Maybe, in two or three years time, one of them can come up with an answer. Just my two cents.
Well, according to Wikipedia, the Magnavox Odyssey was the first video game console, but certainly Nintendo has been a big pioneer in the market, and is the oldest company (118 years old) of all the video game companies around.

I wouldn't like to see Nintendo go under, especially since they are the only dedicated console makers around, unlike Sony and Microsoft. It was sad enough to see Sega exit the console business already. I'm hoping Nintendo will get smart and exploit more of the Wii's capabilities in the near future.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2007, 03:00 AM

Well, according to Wikipedia, the Magnavox Odyssey was the first video game console, but certainly Nintendo has been a big pioneer in the market, and is the oldest company (118 years old) of all the video game companies around.
Don't forget about Atari!
I wouldn't like to see Nintendo go under, especially since they are the only dedicated console makers around, unlike Sony and Microsoft. It was sad enough to see Sega exit the console business already. I'm hoping Nintendo will get smart and exploit more of the Wii's capabilities in the near future.
There doesn't seem to be much danger of Nintendo going out of business any time soon. Heck, they could get by pretty easily just with revenues from the DS.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 05:07 AM

I went that route for 6 months, but realized that I was wasting my HDTV. Got a 360, and things are looking good. Plenty of good games in its library, and tons more in the near future.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 05:28 AM

Don't forget about Atari!
Atari was after Magnavox. Hence the Pong-lawsuit.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 15, 2007, 10:41 AM

I wish Sega would get smart and remake Burning Rangers or Panzer Dragoon Saga...or atleast release the originals on XBLA.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Atari was after Magnavox. Hence the Pong-lawsuit.
I know they were after Magnavox, but my point is that they were still before Nintendo.
( Last edited by icruise; Jun 18, 2007 at 11:14 AM. )

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
I wish Sega would get smart and remake Burning Rangers or Panzer Dragoon Saga...or atleast release the originals on XBLA.
You can now play Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox) which contains the original Panzer Dragoon for the Saturn on it on the 360. Jet Set Radio Future also works now, but it would be great to get the other Sega classic titles. I'd like Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Vitrua Fighter 1 and 2, Fighters Megamix, Virtua Cop, and Nights.

One of the reasons we can't or won't see titles like these on XBLA for sometime is Microsoft has restricted that the Live Arcade games can't be over 250MB in size. They just recently raised it, and I've heard rumors that they might increase the limit to 450MB. Even that to small to bring some of these games without losing or compressing a bunch of the features.

A Nights sequel is coming out for the Wii which might finally make me pick one up. Although I've always loved pretty much everything and anything Sega, they have a pretty bad track record as of late.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 08:33 PM

I still have my Saturn w/ Nights, Virtual Fighter 2, Virtua Cop 1 & 2, Area 51, Nightwarriors, Daytona, World Series 2 and two light guns. I might have to hook it up and flash back to the good ole days.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 16, 2007, 07:14 PM

I bet a remake of Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers alone could put Sega back on the map

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2007, 09:33 AM

WHAT??????????????????????

Dude, seriously, there was the Atari 2600 and the Magnavox Odyssey 2 (the first with analog controls despite what the Nintendo fanboys tell you) long before then.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2007, 11:29 AM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 11:31 PM

Apparently, it's all but confirmed that there will be a price cut on the PS3 after E3, and MS just announced they're short on the prediction of 12m 360's by about half a million.

Still, no games for the PS3, so likely more of the same until 2008.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2007, 12:58 AM

Heavenly Sword, Killzone 2(Suppose to be an ingame show there, finally), Uncharted, Lair, Rachet & Clank, Warhawk, Socom, Folklore, LittleBigPlanet

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 01:10 AM

i was always a Nintendo kid, hated Playstation our rival...but now....i hate MS waving all their money around it sucks that they can just whip out a billion here and there to boost appeal. The PS3 needs to get out there and grab back some market share.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2007, 02:07 AM

Again, falls to the games actually getting out there.

Then again, a bit of a drought for the 360 until Halo 3 in terms of system sellers, too. Meh.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2007, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Apparently, it's all but confirmed that there will be a price cut on the PS3 after E3
Still at least $300 too expensive for me. But I'm in no hurry. I'm more interested in an announcement confirming the return of rumble (and then some) for the PS3.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2007, 05:07 AM

Still at least $300 too expensive for me. But I'm in no hurry. I'm more interested in an announcement confirming the return of rumble (and then some) for the PS3.
Sony: PS3 SIXAXIS Rumble Returning Soon - Gizmodo

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Hopefully we'll hear an official announcement soon.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2007, 03:30 AM

I dont think the early adopters of the PS3 are going to be too thrilled about it.... paying more for a console and not having rumble (which was apparently so-last-gen to Sony).

I dont see how Sony could afford a replacement program either.

Microsoft needs to have better QC (duh)...and get a HD-DVD into the elite model at the very least.

I sold my Wii, cause im sick of the region coding shyte... all my GCN games are from another region and not being able to use em all consistently was annoying. ill stick with my GCN for now.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2007, 04:13 AM

Katamari Damacy for the PS3 has been canceled. The developers have cited the PS3 being too hard to code for as the reason. The good news is they're going to release a Wii version instead of a PS3 version.

Beautiful Katamari jilts PS3 at the altar, elopes with Wii :: DESTRUCTOID :: Hardcore video game blog

Makes me glad to be a Wii owner.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2007, 08:17 AM

Anyone catch that interview with SOny where the guy pretends they don't care about exclusives? It's priceless.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 11, 2007, 09:27 AM

That's actually pretty shocking, altough I have to question the idea that they just couldn't figure out how to program a game like katamari on the PS3.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I sold my Wii, cause im sick of the region coding shyte... all my GCN games are from another region and not being able to use em all consistently was annoying. ill stick with my GCN for now.
Whoa, I just caught this. That's pretty bold. The Wii games weren't enough reason to keep it?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Lawl!

After all that.....

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2007, 12:39 PM

Oh i really like the Wii, its an awesome little box. I just sold it cause of the region coding thing...ill be picking up an American Wii as soon as i can find one. As far as Wii games, Excite Truck and Zelda were still keeping me occupied as well as the VC stuff...

But someone made a good offer for it so i figured might as well get one that's just right even though i might have to spend a little extra.

Starman..... Nintendo is worth more than Sony, and im buying my second Wii soon, how many PS3s have you baught ? im no gonna ask about XB360's cause im sure ur on ur fourth or fifth on by now

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules