Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Grammar question: Ands, commas, and lists

Grammar question: Ands, commas, and lists
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2007, 02:58 PM

I'm looking for some thoughts and links about the use of 'and' and commas as separators in a list. I've found mixed opinions from different sources.

Specifically, does 'and' replace the comma, or is the comma still required? Of these two, which is correct?

I bought milk, bread, steak, and ice cream.
or
I bought milk, bread, steak and ice cream.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 03:01 PM

I do believe its optional.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2007, 03:03 PM

Didn't we have this conversation recently?

English English says no comma.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 03:04 PM

Yeah, we went over this about two weeks ago I think. Pretty much either way works in both British English and American English, it just depends on who taught you and who'd judging you.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2007, 03:04 PM

If you use steak and ice cream , the context assumes that the two are together, like peanut butter and jelly.
But you would buy milk, peanut butter, and jelly.
And eat peanut butter and jelly. I think.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Yeah, we went over this about two weeks ago I think. Pretty much either way works in both British English and American English, it just depends on who taught you and who'd judging you.
Bear in mind that a lot of what you see in the UK these days isn't English English, it's American English. Rise of the Internet, cultural crossover and teachers who themselves don't know the correct English way, etc., etc..

zro
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
If you use steak and ice cream , the context assumes that the two are together, like peanut butter and jelly.
But you would buy milk, peanut butter, and jelly.
And eat peanut butter and jelly. I think.
I concur.

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2007, 03:21 PM

I must have missed it. I'm usually in the other lounge.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 03:23 PM

From my programming perspective, the "extra" comma makes more sense. I see it both ways all the time. The general rule I live by with commas is if you said the sentence out loud and you would either pause or take a breath, then a comma is needed.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2007, 03:40 PM

This is the correct form. No comma before the "and".

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 03:44 PM

It depends on the stylebook. The University of Chicago says that you need a comma before the "and;" the Associated Press says not to use one there.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies View Post
It depends on the stylebook. The University of Chicago says that you need a comma before the "and;" the Associated Press says not to use one there.
That is consistent with my experience, because I usually see writing in books and papers that use the extra comma, but in newspapers they tend to leave it out, and it is always jarring to me. I prefer the extra comma, because otherwise it looks like the last two are linked in some special way that the others are not, like the "peanut butter and jelly" example.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Bear in mind that a lot of what you see in the UK these days isn't English English, it's American English. Rise of the Internet, cultural crossover and teachers who themselves don't know the correct English way, etc., etc..
Oh believe me I know. I was in London on business some time last year (well several times last year, but I'm talking about one specific time) and I actually had to explain to a (British) girl what the proper British way of saying something was because she was automatically going with the American way and everyone was confused about which was 'correct'.

This, I find, is really only an issue with those who (like myself) have more or less grown up with the internet (it's rather odd to think that I, at 24, am almost too old to be in this demographic). The older Brits that I know (most of whom live in the US) are much clearer on what is the 'proper' British way of saying things and what is the American way. But I guess they mostly grew up hearing nothing but British English except for what American they might have gotten on the tele.

All in all, this is a very interesting time to be an aspiring linguist.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 04:03 PM

The Associated Press being, as it is, the bastion of the Liberal Media, I think it's clear that whatever decisions they have made only serve to further weaken America and to dilute our glorious culture into the Islamic mishmash that Europe has degenerated into.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
That is consistent with my experience, because I usually see writing in books and papers that use the extra comma, but in newspapers they tend to leave it out, and it is always jarring to me. I prefer the extra comma, because otherwise it looks like the last two are linked in some special way that the others are not, like the "peanut butter and jelly" example.
I was taught basically the same style and it was extremely difficult for me to adjust when I started working at a PR firm and they basically required that everything be written in AP style. I conceded on most points, but I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of those commas.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2007, 04:09 PM

I conceded on most points, but I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of those commas.
Technically, there's no need for that comma before the "but" either.

(I still use one there occasionally)

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2007, 04:12 PM

I was taught around 1950 that it was optional (and that was by a teacher who taught me to read and pronounce Chaucer in its original English). She also said that I could start a sentence with the word And when I became as well regarded as Poe. sam

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2007, 04:20 PM

All in all, this is a very interesting time to be an aspiring linguist.
It is. And horrifying at the same time. I studied linguistics and philology a few years ago and it is not easy at all. It is especially difficult for people whose mother tongue is not English. I wish you good luck with your studies. It is fun. Mostly.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 04:27 PM

It's not necessary, but if you want to show a pause, you need one. And people often do pause before saying "but."

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 04:29 PM

(I still use one there occasionally)
See, I was taught that a comma is always necessary before a conjunction joining two clauses so that said before-but-comma is entirely necessary. (As is the comma in that sentence as it joins two clauses, there being an implied 'you' along with that 'see' making it a complete sentence and not a sentence fragment.)

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
It is. And horrifying at the same time. I studied linguistics and philology a few years ago and it is not easy at all. It is especially difficult for people whose mother tongue is not English. I wish you good luck with your studies. It is fun. Mostly.
I absolutely love it, although I'm not currently studying linguistics (or anything at all, have been out of school for 3 years). My future academic plans include a PhD in Archaeology/Anthropology, most likely with a focus on linguistics. Happily, getting a PhD (or masters, for that matter) in Archaeology will require me to learn one or two more language (depending on what school I go to); I'm planning on Spanish which I have a pretty good background in (having grown up in California and having studied both French and Latin previously). So even if I abandon linguistics as a formal field of study my language geekery shall still have an outlet (Spanish will bring me up to 6 languages).

Wow, I get long winded when drunk...

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2007, 04:59 PM

The question of 'is it correct' is ultimately less interesting and important than the question of 'which way creates the most clarity and ease of understanding?'

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 05:09 PM

It also depends on where you're looking and/or writing. Magazines and newspapers generally don't use serial commas to save space. Books, on the other hand, use them.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
It also depends on where you're looking and/or writing. Magazines and newspapers generally don't use serial commas to save space. Books, on the other hand, use them.
This is a good point. Probably a large part of the reason that the AP excludes those commas is to save column space. The more meaning you can fit in a given area of page, the better. Also, going back to the moveable type days, you might not actually have all that many commas, so you'd want to use them as sparingly as possible.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2007, 05:32 PM

I absolutely love it, although I'm not currently studying linguistics (or anything at all, have been out of school for 3 years). My future academic plans include a PhD in Archaeology/Anthropology, most likely with a focus on linguistics. Happily, getting a PhD (or masters, for that matter) in Archaeology will require me to learn one or two more language (depending on what school I go to); I'm planning on Spanish which I have a pretty good background in (having grown up in California and having studied both French and Latin previously). So even if I abandon linguistics as a formal field of study my language geekery shall still have an outlet (Spanish will bring me up to 6 languages).

Wow, I get long winded when drunk...
Oh yes. And Spanish will be extremely easy for you considering that you have studied Latin. I do not speak Spanish but - just by knowing Latin - one understands quite a bit of any Romanic based language, at least in its written form.
With your goals in mind, have you thought about learning Ancient Greek?
It is a very easy to learn language, and as straight forward as Latin.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 05:40 PM

Didn't we have this conversation recently?

English English says no comma.
At least 3 other languages concur.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Oh yes. And Spanish will be extremely easy for you considering that you have studied Latin. I do not speak Spanish but - just by knowing Latin - one understands quite a bit of any romanic based language, at least in its written form.
With your goals in mind, have you thought about learning ancient Greek?
It is a very easy to learn language, and as straight forward as Latin.
My planned area of focus is the Americas, so Greek wouldn't be all that helpful (although I am interested in it as, despite my other inclinations, I'm very interested in classical studies; I often fear that I'm too much of a generalist to do much of anything).

I'm mostly interesting in Central/South America, so Spanish would, by far, have the broadest application. Portuguese is on my list as well, not only for the obvious reason of Brazil, but because the area I live in now (Somerville, MA) has a very large Portuguese speaking population. Unfortunately I haven't really narrowed my area of interest down beyond 'the Americas' so I can't really say where I'm likely to end up between Peru, Mexico, the American Southwest, or the American Northeast, but those seem to be the most likely areas at this point.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2007, 06:01 PM

I was taught that the comma should not be used. To this day I think it looks ridiculous to use a comma before "and". However, there is a famous legal case (so famous that I have forgotten the details...) where a will was presented with the sentence to the effect of: the estate will be divided equally among Child A, Child B, Child C and Child D. After some nasty lawsuits, the estate was award so that Child A and Child B each got a third. The court ruled, incredibly, that the conjunction was such that Child C and Child D were combined and received a third of the estate. In other words Child C and Child D had to split their third of the estate.
I tried to look this up on snopes.com but found nothing, could be an urban myth.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2007, 06:14 PM

Grammar in legal documents is a different issue, beyond the scope of this question, but the point is the same - one should use punctuation to create maximum clarity, rather than slavishly following rules that (sometimes) create ridiculous sentances.

OreoCookie
Jul 26, 2007, 06:18 PM

Usually there is no comma, but sometimes it needs to be added as the meaning might change a little. For example it's better to add a comma in the following situation:
I had toast, ham and eggs, and orange juice for breakfast.
Obviously `ham and eggs' is an inseparable object and omitting the comma would add confusion. AFAIK adding a comma is option in American English and I often add it to avoid confusion.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2007, 06:23 PM

Here's another one for British vs. American English: Isn't it true that in British English they treat a proper noun that refers to a group of people as plural? So "Apple have introduced a new iMac" would be correct? It sounds absurd to me, but the Brits always insist on it.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 06:28 PM

Here's another one for British vs. American English: Isn't it true that in British English they treat a proper noun that refers to a group of people as plural? So "Apple have introduced a new iMac" would be correct? It sounds absurd to me, but the Brits always insist on it.
That much is definitely true. Companies and other organizations are treated as collective nouns and thus plural in British English.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 06:51 PM

That much is definitely true. Companies and other organizations are treated as collective nouns and thus plural in British English.
That's a common misconception. British common law treats a company as an individual, so, therefore, an organization is officialy considered singular in British English. (A lot of people treat them as plural anyway, and there are exceptions.)

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 06:56 PM

That's a common misconception. British common law treats a company as an individual, so, therefore, an organization is officialy considered singular in British English. (A lot of people treat them as plural anyway, and there are exceptions.)
This may be the case legally, however in my experience the British generally use the plural when referring to corporations: Apples does, &c.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 06:56 PM

Using a comma before 'and' is repetitive.

1, 2, 3 and 4 means exactly the same as 1, 2, 3, 4 which means exactly the same as 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. Written language is a reflection on spoken language and in the context of lists the word 'and' equals a comma.

People don't say 'and' between every item on a list, they abbrivate it and this abbrivation is reflected by a comma in the written language.

1, 2, 3, and 4 isn't confusing but it is repetitive and unnecessary. Also in all grammar that I have learned (in four languages) it is incorrect.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2007, 07:03 PM

In the simple example you give, that is true, but consider this:

The teams will be: Jim and Bob, Jodie, Fred, Ann and Joe.

How many teams are there? Who is on each?

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
In the simple example you give, that is true, but consider this:

The teams will be: Jim and Bob, Jodie, Fred, Ann and Joe.

How many teams are there? Who is on each?
Five teams. Four would be "Jim and Bob, Jodie, Fred and Ann and Joe" (AP Style) or "Jim and Bob, Jodie, Fred, and Ann and Joe" (Chicago Style).
( Last edited by BasketofPuppies; Jul 26, 2007 at 07:37 PM. )

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2007, 07:55 PM

How would you say it??
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2007, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
How would you say it??
Has.

Apple has introduced new iMacs.
Apple is going to release new iMacs.

It's one company, not multiple companies.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 26, 2007, 10:20 PM

Style book and grammar text aside, if there's ANY doubt about the meaning without the comma, USE IT.

BRussell, British grammar considers a corporation to be a PLURAL, COLLECTIVE NOUN. It is a group of people, so Apple is a collective noun and "Apple have introduced new iMacs." is completely acceptable. On my side of the pond, Apple IS an entity, a legal fiction with the status of a human being for legal purposes, so here we would day "Apple has introduced new iMacs."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

riley46
Jul 27, 2007, 02:16 AM

I'm looking for some thoughts and links about the use of 'and' and commas as separators in a list. I've found mixed opinions from different sources.

Specifically, does 'and' replace the comma, or is the comma still required? Of these two, which is correct?

I bought milk, bread, steak, and ice cream.

or

Based on the explanations, both are correct. They may appear to consist of the same words, but the use of commas in both sentences make them different from each other - steak, and ice cream is separate while steak and ice cream is combined. The use of comma is clearly defined at this link. I only read the first two rules because they seem to be the ones applicable to the discussion.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2007, 04:31 AM

Has.

Apple has introduced new iMacs.
Apple is going to release new iMacs.

It's one company, not multiple companies.

Yeah that is kind of weird how we do that... i'm not sure if either way is wrong tho!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 09:45 AM

See, I was taught that a comma is always necessary before a conjunction joining two clauses so that said before-but-comma is entirely necessary. (As is the comma in that sentence as it joins two clauses, there being an implied 'you' along with that 'see' making it a complete sentence and not a sentence fragment.)
That is how I was taught, too. "For", "and", "nor", "but", "or", "yet", and "so" connecting two independent clauses are preceded by a comma.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2007, 02:27 PM

Nearly every single academic style and grammar manual will tell you to use the serial comma. It is never wrong to use the serial comma.

Only journalism (and even some government) style manuals will tell you not to use the serial comma. Not using a serial comma introduces ambiguity in a sentence. It's a stupid practice and should be avoided.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2007, 02:30 PM

Four would be "Jim and Bob, Jodie, Fred and Ann and Joe"
Is it Fred and Ann, or Ann and Joe?

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 05:05 PM

Ann and Joe. The extra "and" would be redundant otherwise. The extra "and" is necessary using either the Associated Press Stylebook or The Chicago Manual of Style style, and you'll see that I used it in both of them.

Cthulhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2007, 06:03 PM

Ann and Joe. The extra "and" would be redundant otherwise. The extra "and" is necessary using either the Associated Press Stylebook or The Chicago Manual of Style style, and you'll see that I used it in both of them.
How is the extra "and" redundant if Fred and Ann are on the same team instead of Ann and Joe? It would read (using Oxford):

"The teams are: Jim and Bob, Jodie, Fred and Ann, and Joe."

If you take out the serial comma, you can't tell if it's Fred and Ann on one team, or if it's Ann and Joe on one team. The fact that we're arguing about it shows how stupid it is to leave out the serial comma.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
If you take out the serial comma, you can't tell if it's Fred and Ann on one team, or if it's Ann and Joe on one team. The fact that we're arguing about it shows how stupid it is to leave out the serial comma.
Note my placement of commas and "ands." That makes it clear that it's Ann and Joe, not Fred and Ann.

Again, the "ands" are the same regardless of whether or not you need the final comma.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2007, 07:50 PM

Note my placement of commas and "ands." That makes it clear that it's Ann and Joe, not Fred and Ann.

Again, the "ands" are the same regardless of whether or not you need the final comma.
I agree with Cthulhu, they aren't the same and the "ands" don't indicate otherwise.

"The teams are: Jim and Bob, Jodie, Fred and Ann and Joe."

Can mean either:

"The teams are: Jim and Bob, Jodie, Fred, and Ann and Joe."
or
"The teams are: Jim and Bob, Jodie, Fred and Ann, and Joe."

Having two "ands" in there doesn't make it any more clear.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 08:24 PM

I agree with Cthulhu, they aren't the same and the "ands" don't indicate otherwise.
They are the same. No "and" between Fred and Ann would mean that Ann and Joe are separate teams. With it there, they are one team. No matter what, Fred is his own team. Again, regardless of what your favorite stylebook has to say about commas.

If the serial comma were absolutely necessary, we would use it for lists of two with an "and" separating the two items. We don't (unless we want to imply a pause), so stylebooks are allowed to disagree.

Not that English makes sense, regardless of style.

Forum Links
Forum Rules