Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which display should I choose?

Which display should I choose?
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2007, 09:54 PM

Real simple, I'm looking to get an external display to hook my MBP up to. It's between the 20" ACD or 2007FPW.

I like the ACD. It matches the MBP really well, looks sweet, I've heard the quality of display is pretty nice, and it's an Apple product. If I were to get one I'd get it through the refurb store for $500.

I can get a 2007FPW for $250 shipped. So the price is one obvious pro for this display. I've also heard these are really nice monitors, though it wouldn't match my overall setup as well as the ACD.

What would you do?
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2007, 10:28 PM

I'd go cheaper, but still wish I had that matching Apple product

Basically, save the $250. The ACDs aren't worth that difference.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2007, 11:22 PM

yeah, go dell
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2007, 11:48 PM

2007FPW, or you can probably even afford the 24" ($580 new, even cheaper refurb) if you can afford a refurb ACD.

riley46
Aug 6, 2007, 01:39 AM

I would chose ACD definitely. I don't like the idea of wanting it if I choose the cheaper one since I can afford the item in the first place.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 07:19 AM

I guess the real question is if the quality of the refurb 20" ACD coupled with the sexy looks really justifies the higher price. I can afford both but I still want to get the best deal and value for my money.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

steve477668
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 04:28 PM

i bought the LG L1710B a few years ago, and it still beats most top price displays out there, and not a pixel gone...you could pick one up for half the price now (and it was pretty reasonably priced when it came out)
ive got the ACD now but i would love to see windows drivers for it so i could play some decent game on it
my tip is: if your shopping for anything over 100$ then spend a few days in the company of old man google

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by riley46 View Post
I would chose ACD definitely. I don't like the idea of wanting it if I choose the cheaper one since I can afford the item in the first place.
What? Anyone with common sense knows that a dell makes a very decent display for a fraction of the price. I have owned both and I can honestly say that even for photo work, dell does a pretty good job for it's price.

And you also get multi-syncing, and VGA input.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2007, 04:53 PM

Dell 2007WFP all the way. I have one. You will not be disappointed. Ability to plug in multiple devices at the same time. Quality of screen is immense. Should i stop doing these short sentences now? Yes? Okay. Dell all the way.

OreoCookie
Aug 6, 2007, 04:56 PM

Get a Samsung display, they have much, much nicer design than Dell and the display's quality (both, the case and the image) is great.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules