Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple being sued for iPhone price-cut

Apple being sued for iPhone price-cut
pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2007, 08:32 PM

The erratic play of the New York Mets appears to have spurred at least one city resident and iPhone owner on a perplexing quest for justice.

Either the iPhone price cut is making people wacky, or there's something in the water in Queens.

Dongmei Li, a resident of the borough of Queens, sued Apple earlier this week for "price discrimination" brought on by the $200 drop in the price of the iPhone announced earlier this month by Apple CEO Steve Jobs. Li names Apple, Jobs and AT&T as defendants in her suit, filed on Monday and spotted by AppleInsider.

The claims in the case make about as much sense to me, a long-suffering Mets fan, as the continual game of bullpen roulette played by team manager Willie Randolph, who also plies his trade in Queens (for now). According to documents filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, there are three central claims to Li's case.

The first? "Apple's price reduction has hurt early purchasers' competition with Apple because they cannot sell it for as high a profit as they could have before the price cut." Li says she bought the $499 4GB model, discontinued after the price cut, on iPhone Day. Obviously, nobody's going to spend more than $499 on a 4GB iPhone today when they can go out and buy the 8GB one for $399, so Li's potential profits are indeed dashed.

But it's not like the early iPhone resellers made substantial profits on their purchases in the first place. And is Apple really obligated to take into account the potential profits of individuals reselling their iPhones when making pricing decisions? I'm not lawyer, but that theory seems a bit off the straight and narrow, kind of like a Guillermo Mota fastball.

The second one is even better. "Apple's price reduction has hurt early purchasers' competition with later purchasers because they cannot resell their iPhones for as low a price as later purchasers may." Why not? What exactly is preventing you from selling your iPhone for as low a price as you want?

If you're serious, Ms. Li, I'll give you ten bucks for it. If that's too high, I can come down to $5. But that's my lowest offer.

That's not even my favorite one. In another claim, she advances one of the most creative conspiracy theories I've read yet concerning Apple's motivation for the iPhone price cut.

Both the Mets, and this lawsuit, could use your prayers.

First, she alleges that Apple is losing money on each sale of a $399 8GB iPhone. Just for the sake of argument, we'll assume that illogical unsupported statement is accurate. So, then, what would be Apple's motivation?

"Apple is selling its iPhone for an unreasonably low price to hurt competition between early and later purchasers so that the early purchasers cannot resell for as high a profit as they could have without the price cut. Apple is selling its iPhone for an unreasonably low price to hurt the competition that purchasers pose to it from reselling their iPhones."

There you have it, folks, it's all become clear. Apple wasn't trying to sell more iPhones during the upcoming holiday season. They weren't trying to kick-start demand to hit their sales targets for the quarter. They weren't trying to milk profits out of their faithful early adopters. They are trying to rip the heart out of that nonexistent iPhone resale market to deny profits to individuals who thought they were Apple's resellers.

I thought New York was a hip, tech-savvy place these days. There's no shortage of iPhone owners irked by the steep and sudden drop in price, but this is the wackiest iPhone lawsuit I've seen since that guy from suburban Chicago who thought Apple was forcing his battery to die after a year. Probably a long-suffering Cubs fan.

People, it's just baseball, let's not let it drive us to commit wild acts of litigation. However, I can understand what it feels like to battle against the odds. After all, ya gotta believe.
Link

This is some of the funniest stuff I've read in a while....

Tim Collier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2007, 08:38 PM

That's pretty wacky but it was a good read

Cold Warrior
Sep 28, 2007, 08:47 PM

When her lawsuit fails and she's stuck with thousands in legal fees, she'll have to find a place a lot worse than Queens to live in. New Jersey, here she comes!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
When her lawsuit fails and she's stuck with thousands in legal fees, she'll have to find a place a lot worse than Queens to live in. New Jersey, here she comes!
Nah, this damn golddigger is probably represented by these scumbag lawyers that work "on commission".

Only in Amaraca !

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2007, 04:18 AM

She should team up with Jonathan Lee Riches.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 29, 2007, 04:32 AM

I've said this before: the typical American consumer is ****ing retarded with it comes to the underlying currents of the industries in their own country.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
I've said this before: the typical American consumer is ****ing retarded with it comes to the underlying currents of the industries in their own country.
You are generalizing. Most consumers simply said "ugh, that sucks, I just purchased one a month ago... oh well" or they didn't even know about the price drop.

The reason this is news is because it's not normal.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2007, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
The reason this is news is because it's Apple.
Fixed. Customers whining is normal. Customers' whining being news is an Apple exclusive.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 29, 2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
You are generalizing. Most consumers simply said "ugh, that sucks, I just purchased one a month ago... oh well" or they didn't even know about the price drop.

The reason this is news is because it's not normal.
I doubt no one knows about the price drop. It's been so over-publicized. Even my mom knows about the price cut and she knows nothing about gadgets.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2007, 12:38 AM

This will cause Apple to close doors.®

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2007, 08:13 PM

Wow. I`m surprised Best Buy doesn`t get sued for this ever single day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules