Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mac the Ripper+Toast 9 Titanium+NEED HELP!!

Mac the Ripper+Toast 9 Titanium+NEED HELP!!
95Shorty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2009, 03:13 PM

Ok here it goes. I have mac the ripper. I have Toast 9. I have a DVD movie. I have Blank DVDr's. From what I've read this is supposed to be very simple and easy but for some reason this is not working for me. Either I'm dumb.. I'm missing something... or something is messed up.

I'll try to explain this the best way i can. I tried to copy "my" copies of eagle eye and pineapple express last night. I inserted the dvd and used Mac the Ripper to rip it. I use Title Only Extraction choose the RCE 1 and hit GO. After its done there is only 1 .vob file in the Video_TS folder. Is this right?? Now I open Toast 9 and click Dvd-Video_TS folder burn. It tells me to drag the Video_TS folder in I try... it takes me to the copy disc screen. I click burn and it tell me i have no data to burn. I try to add it by clicking the add folder button and then choose my Video_TS folder and it tells me it is not supported. Toast will however let me add the folder in the Data DVD UDF selection but i have not tried to burn it that way yet. So my question is... Em i ripping it wrong?? Is there something I'm missing?? Do I need to use DVD2ONE??? Oooor is Toast 9 messed up? I hope i explained this good enough for someone to help. Also should the DVD player be able to play my .vob file?? Because it does not.

Thanks.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2009, 04:21 PM

Don't know how it is with Toast 9, but Toast 8 shows how much of the DVD the Video_TS data is (or would be) occupying, so if it really isn't seeing the data in it, the indicator should be at 0.

What you can try to see if your Video_TS folder will be playable is to open it in the Apple DVD Player. I'm guessing it's not so well known that you can actually open Video_TS folders with it, just go to Open from the File-menu. If it plays then I would think it would play in a standard player if you burn it as a UDF disc.

You could also search out 0SEx, an alternative DVD-ripper. While there is no UB for it, it still runs fine under Rosetta. I find that I like it a bit better than MTR, personally.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 95Shorty View Post
I tried to copy "my" copies of eagle eye and pineapple express last night.
Wait, wait, wait.

Are they your copies? They probably aren't, because you used quotes around the word "my." If you do not legally own these titles, then you are violating the forum rules against pirating.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2009, 04:59 PM

Try ripping an entire disk, menus and supplements and all. Then do DVD from video_TS folder. I know, it will compress it more and it won't look as good. Just try it and see if that works. I had disks from time to time that a main feature will rip and other times it will not work and I have to do complete rip.

95Shorty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2009, 05:06 PM

k ill try... i just dont understand why everyone else seems to make this work so easy and i'm having a difficult time... And they're mine for the moment... just like everyone else on this forum right?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2009, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 95Shorty View Post
k ill try... i just dont understand why everyone else seems to make this work so easy and i'm having a difficult time... And they're mine for the moment... just like everyone else on this forum right?
We do not condone piracy of any form of media here. So if you've borrowed, rented, or "bought but will take back immediately" anything you're trying to copy, I personally will stop this thread now. If they are YOUR PROPERTY and you're just trying to make a legitimate backup copy, that's a different matter.

Your odd phrasing has made it seem that you are not really trying to make a legitimate backup. Speak plainly and truthfully, and you're a lot more likely to get more straightforward help than if you speak in riddles and hints.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2009, 11:00 PM

glenn, those quotation marks could mean anything. i interpreted it to mean that he was emphasizing that he owned them.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
glenn, those quotation marks could mean anything. i interpreted it to mean that he was emphasizing that he owned them.
No. You don't use quotes to emphasize something. We have italics, boldface, one can use stars around the word, etc.

On many of the "underground" boards, people will use "my" in quotes to mean "ripping that which I don't own."

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2009, 10:06 AM

I have a similar question and in this case, yes i DO own the movie in question. I think Sony (I think it's Sony) successfully inserted anti-copying stuff. I have a copy of the Sex in the City movie, which I was trying to copy. Did the whole Mac the Ripper bit, but the program told me there were bad sectors. I tried burning it, and the movie would not play. (It will on the computer itself, interestingly enough. I guess that process is less touchy.)

I have since gotten Toast 9. Is there a way around the bad sectors, that apparently Sony put in on purpose? Would Hand Brake do things differently? And I've never understood if Hand Brake can be used to put the movie on your computer for later burning or not -- I was always under the impression that was more just for ripping onto your computer for watching on the computer or storing on an external.

Obviously I don't do this very much...

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2009, 08:55 PM

With my own copy of Pineapple Express, recently, I ripped the movie with Handbrake. I then put it on dvd with VisualHub. It was very simple.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2009, 11:47 PM

So did your folder play in DVD Player?

Just a few general observations:

MTR is the best DVD ripper for the Mac. Use it as much as your can. IF you have problems with MTR, use RipIt. Between the two, your (without the quotes ) entire DVD library should be rippable. (I've ripped about over 1000 different DVD discs, and MTR has handled all but 3 - all Disney - flawlessly.)

What version of MTR are you using? This makes a huge difference. If it is not the paid 3.0+ version, it's time to upgrade. Also what are your settings in MTR? This also can make a huge difference. Disable UOPs? Auto?

My guess is that your choice of "Title Only Extraction" is causing the problems. (Why are you doing this, btw?) It is probably the case that not a sufficient portion of the disc is being ripped in order for Toast to recognize it as a burnable DVD-ROM. MTR's main page addresses this:
Usually, you would want to extract the whole DVD for either burning back to DVD±R or processing with other tools to shrink it down to size first (like Popcorn, DVD2OneX or DVDRemaster). For this, you will choose the 'Full Disc Extraction' option.
Also, older versions of MTR don't handle custom settings all that well. Try a normal full disc extraction and see what happens.

bbales, the bad sectors thing is likely exactly what you suspect - copyright crap. Again, I would emphasize the power of the current, paid version of MTR.

Additionally, many novice users (not saying that you are one) don't realize that in order to burn a copy of most modern DVDs, you need to do it on DL (dual layer) DVD+Rs or DVD-Rs (really doesn't matter which, but DVD-R is probably slightly better if to be used in a DVD player). You can't just settle for the all too common cheaper single layer 4.7-odd GB recordable media-they just aren't big enough. Since the DL is twice as big and twice as practical, it is twice as expensive and twice as hard to find.

If you need more "expert" advice, head on over to the MTR forums.

Hope this is a helpful overview to anyone and everyone.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2009, 03:11 PM

[[What version of MTR are you using? This makes a huge difference. If it is not the paid 3.0+ version, it's time to upgrade. ]]

Where can you FIND the paid version? It does not seem to be on the site; only the free version is. When I tried to get 3.0, following somewhat dubious links, I get directed to sites where I have to use bittorrent -- and personally, I always associate that with taking something I'm not supposed to.

So if anyone can direct me to 3.0, I'll happily pay.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
[[What version of MTR are you using? This makes a huge difference. If it is not the paid 3.0+ version, it's time to upgrade. ]]

Where can you FIND the paid version? It does not seem to be on the site; only the free version is. When I tried to get 3.0, following somewhat dubious links, I get directed to sites where I have to use bittorrent -- and personally, I always associate that with taking something I'm not supposed to.

So if anyone can direct me to 3.0, I'll happily pay.
So you want to join the circus, eh? Let's see how good you are at jumping through flaming hoops!

Join the MTR forums and read the following:

WELCOME 2.6.6 USERS **** READ HERE FIRST

#1 - HOW TO GET MacTheRipper 3.0

HOW TO SEND A GIFT (Options: PayPal, Western Union)

And enjoy your new copy of MTR 3.0!
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules