Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AC Frequency (not voltage) Issue

AC Frequency (not voltage) Issue
Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2014, 09:17 AM

Here in the east coast of the Dominican Republic we are lucky to have a private electricity company that provides reliable power 24/7. Much of the country is not so lucky and deals with daily outages up to 8 hours. My issue is that the clocks on my microwave, stove, and coffee maker all use the power line frequency to regulate the clock. It would seem my frequency is a little higher than 60Hz because the clocks run fast. I'm trying to find some sort of regulator I can plug into the electrical outlets but all of my google searches are leading me to voltage regulators which seem to be overkill and I'm not even sure those regulate frequency as well.

I thought I'd check here since you guys seem to be experts in all sorts of things. Any ideas? Oh, almost forgot, we have the same power standard and plug types as the US.

As far as size/format, I'm think of something like these plug extenders that don't take up much space:

reader50
Administrator
Apr 23, 2014, 11:55 AM

Sorry to tell you, frequency can be controlled only when you generate the AC. You need to convert to DC, then have an inverter recreate clean AC at 60Hz. A UPS might do it. But most (all?) either pass through the incoming frequency while charging, or run off internal battery and not charge. I don't know of any that will charge off incoming line while outputting from battery.

I think you need a charger + (deep cycle) battery + sine-wave inverter to do what you want. You'll need a good-sized one to run a microwave and coffee maker. If your stove is electric (not gas) you'll need a more expensive 240v inverter, and a much beefier charger. To exceed the wattage rating of the connected devices.

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2014, 11:57 AM

Hmm.... looks like I'll just have to continue my routine of resetting the clocks every day or so. Sometimes they can be off by 10 minutes or more in just a couple of days.

I'm just thankful I don't have to keep a utility room full of batteries and an inverter to deal with daily outages. Resetting my clocks every so often is a price I'm willing to pay to have reliable electricity.

Thanks for the info!

reader50
Administrator
Apr 23, 2014, 08:31 PM

You could put some accurate battery clocks around the house, and simply ignore (or tape over) the inaccurate AC clocks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM

A double conversion (or true online or whatever they're calling them now) UPS would do it, but running any of those appliances would require a very large (high power) UPS.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2014, 07:16 PM

Crystal based clocks are such old hat it seems odd that all your appliances would rely on AC frequency to tell time. Oh well.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2014, 09:26 PM

+1 for what mduell said. They do make UPSes where the output is always off the battery, but one which can run 10-15A would be gigantic, in both size and expense.

Also, constantly running fans.

But, you do get this gorgeously clean power from them.

SVass
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2014, 11:54 AM

You can buy an inverter that plugs into a car cigarette lighter that supplies 115 vac at some frequency to run a small appliance. Provide the 12 vdc yourself. I do not know how good the frequency is.
Sam

Forum Links
Forum Rules