Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which B/W laser multifunction printer?

Which B/W laser multifunction printer?
blythe
Jul 23, 2007, 12:04 PM

I'm looking to buy a black and white laser multifunction printer, and I think I've narrowed it down to either the Brother MFC-8860dn or the HP LaserJet 3390.

The features that matter most to me are print quality (especially text at small sizes), color scan quality, and a network interface. Cost per page, scan speed, and print speed would also be important, but less so. I only plan on printing ~500 pages a month. I will be using the printer with Tiger and Win XP over a network.

Can anyone give me a recommendation? Are there other all-in-one printers I should consider?
blythe

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2007, 12:51 PM

What is your budget?

I'm actually in the market for a Multifunction network laser printer as well. The suggestions I got from my dealer were:
Canon MF5770
2500 pages
toner $102

Lexmark X342N
2500pages
toner: $114

Okidata c3530nmfp (color laser)
Black high capacity 2500pages $70
Magenta, Cyan, Yellow high capacity 2000pages $105/each

(prices are in Canadian dollars)
( Last edited by mpancha; Jul 23, 2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: added links to printers)
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2007, 01:01 PM

going with my above post... does anyone know how good/bad those printers listed above are, and if the scanning over network function works on OSX as well?

I'm leaning towards the color laser (okidata) one mainly b/c it means I wont have to have a separate inkjet printer for color. THe cost of toner doesn't matter too much to me, as it is I probably print color only a few times per year, but I want the functionality available to me at my desire.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

rjt1000
Senior User
Jul 23, 2007, 08:41 PM

I have the Brother MFC-8660DN and have been very happy with it. I have it connected to the USB print server on my Airport extreme base station (flying saucer model). Setup was a breeze, just installed the driver on my PowerBook and then used printer setup utility which immediately found it via Bonjour. Print quality is top notch, it is quite speedy and it does duplex printing. Faxing works well from the unit. I have not used the scan functionality, so I cannot comment on that or whether scanning will work over the network. Likewise no experience with windoze. I like to purchase items like this at Costco where you have a 3 month window in which you can return it if you are less than satisfied (i.e. it doesnt have to be defective). That way you wont be stuck with it if it doesnt meet your expectations.

Cold Warrior
Jul 23, 2007, 09:56 PM

I've used the brother scanning software for their mfc-7820n and am pleased with it. I have the brother connected via Ethernet to my router. I then connect to the router wirelessly, and have had no problems printing or scanning using the brother software.

Forum Links
Forum Rules