Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Modem recommendations needed

Modem recommendations needed
acorder
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2008, 02:49 AM

My mother-in-law is buying my 20" iMac, but lives out in the boonies where there's no high-speed internet access, only dial-up. I custom configured the iMac without a modem, thinking I would never ever ever need it, and yet here I am. I'd like to give her a modem to go with the computer, but I'm hoping someone might be able to point me to a cheap one. It'll have to be USB/FW/Ethernet, something other than the phone line, since the computer doesn't have the port for a phone cable. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 17, 2008, 09:27 AM

The Apple USB modem will work right out of the box. It takes up almost zero room too. I have one and I'd recommend it to anyone who needs dial-up.

The problem with looking for a cheaper model is that they either need a 9-pin serial port (or adapter to one, which Macs haven't had for a long time) or they're USB but Mac support is "problematic." For example, this Trendnet USB Modem costs $23 from Newegg-a great price-except that it doesn't support OS X. There are not a lot of USB modems on the market right now, and very few of them support (have drivers for) OS X. Sticking with Apple guarantees you'll get a workable modem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008, 05:39 PM

or get your mom to relocate: that's why you bought the house with the granny flat isn't it? Plus you'll never need to wash your own socks again.

(The Apple USB modem would be the way to go, btw.)

acorder  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2008, 10:42 PM

Seems that Apple is the thing to buy. But before I do, does anyone have experience with this particular product?

Bestdata :: Bestdata 56k and DSL Modems

Forum Links
Forum Rules