Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new MBs and MBPs - differentiating factor?

View Poll Results: Will the new MBPs have SSD hard drives?
Poll Options:
Yes new MBPs will have SSD hard drives 1 votes (14.29%)
No, SSD will be an option only 4 votes (57.14%)
No SSD, but MBs will get superdrive by default 0 votes (0%)
No change in the configuration 2 votes (28.57%)
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll
new MBs and MBPs - differentiating factor?
iampivot
May 21, 2008, 06:48 PM

Will the new MBPs that are coming in the next months have SSD hard drives? will it be the new differentiating factor between MBs and MBPs, with all MBs having superdrives from now on? What do you think?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 07:54 PM

SSDs haven't hit the mainstream, and its a thousand dollar option on the MBAs so I doubt very much it will be made standard equipment.

I generally don't try to guess at what apple will do - I'm usually wrong anyways.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 11:09 PM

It's something they could do any day without much effort.

The price is dropping fast; 60GB SSDs are already under $500 and the price of flash chips is about $2.25/GB so I'd expect them to fall further this year.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 02:35 AM

On the next MBP you could expect an expensive SSD BTO option (low capacity and slow compared to any decent and much less expensive high-capacity 5400 or 7200 rpm drive). So far every affordable SSD has underdelivered. The few notebook SSDs that really shine are far too expensive and yet they still offer minimal capacity. They're simply not there yet. Once they're twice as fast and only twice as expensive as 2.5" HDDs, they'll start to take over on the mainstream market. Specifically in Apple world, among MBP customers there are far too may people who require decent capacity and/or high performance. Apple knows that and they will not piss those people off just so they force a new technology (that BTW also costs Apple more to use) onto them.

I'd expect to see Apple keep the Combo on the low-end MB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules