Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > International MacBook

International MacBook
jason98
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2006, 01:43 AM

Hi all,
I live in Australia and I am about to spent an extend period in the USA, I have consider upgrading my laptop for a while but of late I have taken an interest in the Mac platform. I’m thinking of getting the MacBook however if I buy in after I arrive in the USA the price over there is almost $500AUD cheaper. So I am wondering what would the difference between the American and Australian edition. I can think of the power code, DVD region and warranty. So now for the questions.

1. At first I though of getting the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit however according to the US Apple online store its only compatible with power adapters for iBook, MacBook Pro, PowerBook G4, iPod USB Power Adapter, and iPod FireWire Power Adapter. Is this product not compatible with the MacBook of has Apple not updated this page since releasing the MacBook? Does anyone tried using the two together. If I can get an extra power adapter but I would rather have the travel kit.
2. I have found out that Macs have similar DVD region restrictions as to Windows. I travel a lot and my DVD collection is spread across multiple regions. I have used a program called DVD Region Free on my windows machines. Does a similar solution exist on the Mac? I only found hacking the firmware as a method to unlock the region restrictions. This is something I would not be comfortable doing. Is there an easier way?
3. Apple’s warranty is valid worldwide isn’t it?
4. Is there any other possible differences that I am missing?

Thanks for help, hope to join you in the mac community soon

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2006, 02:03 AM

1. It should work fine.
2. There are some programs that can make a drive region free on the Mac as well, but it differs from drive to drive. Some say that the program VLC works to play discs of a different region than your drive's, but I haven't had any luck with that.
3. Yes.
4. Are there any differences between US and Australian keyboards?

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2006, 02:08 AM

1. Power wont be issue as all Macs handle 110/220. So all you need an American-Australian adpater and your good to go.
2. DVD Regions could be tricky. Although hacking the firmware is a more permanent solution, if you need to temporarly change your region, your allowed to do it 5 times on the mac. You can probably select one that you own the most DVD's of. You can also try using programs like VLC, which work for some people and play all regions and just about any file you throw at it.
3. As far as im aware, Applecare is worldwide. Atleast I've had my Powerbook serviced abroad.

Other than that you should be fine. Just make sure your get the Applecare within a year of purchase. Comes in handy if your going to live with it abroad..
( Last edited by macboy; Jun 15, 2006 at 02:14 AM. )

adept1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2006, 03:45 AM

You don't need any fancy expensive power adapter kit. The Apple power adapter takes a standard cable. You probably already have one laying around somewhere.

Forum Links
Forum Rules