Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Certain files make Finder hang - suggestions?

Certain files make Finder hang - suggestions?
nagromme
Senior User
May 5, 2005, 06:11 AM

Disk Utility just caught an "overlapped extent allocation." I deleted the offending file and now Repair Disk (and Permissions too) reports that all is well. Hardware Test and SMART both agree.

But whether that extent thing is the cause or not, I'm now having problems:

Certain files on my HD make the Finder hang. Or any app that tries to read the contents OR even the icon. By "hang" I mean a beachball and nearly 100% CPU usage until I Force Quit.

Even just viewing the directory the file is in causes Finder to hang--unless I use Column View and turn off Icons. But if I double-click the file, the app that opens it hangs AND the Finder hangs. (Doesn't matter which user account, either.)

One exception: I can drop these files into an already-open BBEdit Lite window, and see the contents. Which seem to be fine, as far as I can tell.

What could cause this? Is there anything I can do other than restore these files from backup?

More importantly, how can I track down ALL the damaged files? I fear there may be more out of my thousands of files. Is there any util that will scan my HD and find these bad files, when Disk Utility sees no problem? Then I could restore those files without restoring my ENTIRE backup. Which is impractical because I'd lose several days of work done in dozens of locations.

Thanks for any help! I'm running 10.3.9 (just upgraded from 10.3.7--maybe coincidence).
nagromme

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
May 5, 2005, 07:47 PM

BTW, the files can be copied successfully (as long as Icons are off so I can even select them!) but the copy still has the same problem.
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules