Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What could be waking my PowerBook?

What could be waking my PowerBook?
nagromme
Senior User
Dec 13, 2004, 08:08 PM

I think I'm going insane... my 15" AlBook has become psychic.

Twice in two days, it has awoken while I was taking it out of the bag. Lid still shut, not even slightly ajar, but the sleep light goes off in my hands, the Apple lights up, and the CD in the drive spins up. I open the lid and go.

That's cool, but... what could be waking it? All wireless is deactivated, nothing is plugged in, no apps or hacks running, and the latch was NOT triggered. It's as though the motion of picking it up makes it wake up.

And it isn't sitting "on" in the bag, either--the battery meter's still full.

Is there some kind of malfunction I should be looking into? I just had the screen replaced, could the magnet be messed up?
nagromme

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 08:13 PM

My GF's iBook had a problem similar to this. She would close her 'book to put it to sleep and after 4 sec's it would start to spin the optical drive (no cd in there) and it made funny sounds. See if this is what's happening cuz most people close the machine and slip it in their sleeves/bags pretty quickly. I just reset the PMU and then reset the PRAM and all was well after that.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 12:35 AM

I'll add that to my tests... I'm trying to squeeze the thing every which way and make it happen...

In both cases recently, though, it happened upon taking it OUT of the bag, much later, and without any battery drain.

Now that you mention it, though, it also awoke on its own, lid closed, sitting on the desk, about 15 minutes after I shut it. Luckily, when it wakes shut, it goes back to sleep after 30 seconds or so.

(If I have some weird side effect of the screen replacement I just got, I'll have them look at it... when they put on a THIRD screen that isn't worse...)
nagromme

thickdrummer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 11:25 AM

Maybe you have the option enabled to allow bluetooth devices to wake your PB. Try turning it off in the preference panal...dont know if that will work. Maybe a phone or a BT mouse is waking it.

ibook_steve
Sep 7, 2005, 01:16 PM

You realize this post is 9 months old, right?

Steve

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 10, 2005, 08:30 PM

I don't THINK there were any BT devices around, but I may never know: it stopped happening after another week or so.

I've decided that SOME of it was from putting my PB in the bag with the wake button down. It never used to press the button by accident, but after a year of that I suppose the spring could be weakened just enough to accidentally hit it just from jostling the bag. When I put it in the bag button up, it doesn't happen at all.

The instances of it waking when NOT in the bag were odd--but it hasn't happened in a long time.
nagromme

thickdrummer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2005, 03:48 PM

"You realize this post is 9 months old, right?"

Yes. Anything else?

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 15, 2005, 05:28 PM

Suggestions appreciated whenever--thanks, thickdrummer.
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules