Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MB, what accessories/app/software?

New MB, what accessories/app/software?
lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2008, 12:00 AM

What should i get for my mb?

Xarthan
Mar 7, 2008, 01:08 AM

what do you use it for?
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

Duracell
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2008, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by lisa_is_not_mac View Post
What should i get for my mb?
Bit of an open question

What will you be using it for, work? Play?

Regardless of what you're using it for, grab a sleeve or case for it, you don't want it getting wrecked if you're carting it about all day
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2008, 05:37 AM

An external drive for time machine backups!

X-Moto...... Its a great game!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2008, 08:08 AM

More ram, external hard drive. keyboard and mouse, an apple cinema display.

Without knowing exactly what the intended use of the computer its rather difficult to recommend anything.

lisa_is_not_mac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2008, 08:59 AM

It is a replacement, and i accentually filled my original up with freeware, i use it for music, web, and Microsoft office, and some play.

How do i add ram, i'm afraid to open it?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 7, 2008, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
More non-Apple* ram...
*Apple charges a princely premium for more than standard RAM-something like $400 to go from 2GB to 4GB! Get good third-party RAM and install it yourself (it's easy) and save something like $300 in the process.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2008, 10:06 AM

<>What should i get for my mb?

USB drives for your support forum colleagues, USB drive for Timemachine and extended warranty.

hedmisten
Mar 7, 2008, 01:24 PM

Extended Warranty, A sleeve or case, External Hard Drive, apple remote if you don't have one.
08 Whitebook 2.2 2.0.120.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2008, 02:10 PM

Get yourself a good backpack to carry it around in. Maybe you've already got one? Something not so big that it becomes a catch-all for everything under the sun, thereby becoming so heavy that you dread taking it anywhere.

Next: bluetooth accessories. Keyboard, mouse, headset (only if you use Skype a lot--you can use the headset from you cellphone.) External speakers for your music. Flash drive big enough for ferrying stuff back and forth with your friends, and an external HD with USB/firewire interface.

Beyond that it's mainly about cultivating good laptop habits. Namely not spilling anything onto the laptop, not putting it places where it'll crash to the floor, not exposing it to theft in library or coffee shop (just your basic street smarts.)

lisa_is_not_mac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Get yourself a good backpack to carry it around in. Maybe you've already got one? Something not so big that it becomes a catch-all for everything under the sun, thereby becoming so heavy that you dread taking it anywhere.

Next: bluetooth accessories. Keyboard, mouse, headset (only if you use Skype a lot--you can use the headset from you cellphone.) External speakers for your music. Flash drive big enough for ferrying stuff back and forth with your friends, and an external HD with USB/firewire interface.

Beyond that it's mainly about cultivating good laptop habits. Namely not spilling anything onto the laptop, not putting it places where it'll crash to the floor, not exposing it to theft in library or coffee shop (just your basic street smarts.)
Backpack - What kind
I have speakers, but should i get the "Sound Sticks"
have external hard drives

lisa_is_not_mac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2008, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
*Apple charges a princely premium for more than standard RAM-something like $400 to go from 2GB to 4GB! Get good third-party RAM and install it yourself (it's easy) and save something like $300 in the process.
How do i add more?

lefty mclefty
Baninated
Mar 7, 2008, 09:55 PM

and i dont know anything! super simple!!!! google macbook ram, you'll find video's on how to do it...same with the hardrive, couldnt be easier....my mac has 3 gb or ram and 250 gb of harddrive..woohoo!!!

lefty mclefty
Baninated
Mar 7, 2008, 09:57 PM

you will need small electronic type screwdrivers....
i got a nice set from radioshack for $15....

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2008, 10:12 PM

What backpack to get is a very individual choice. You have to actually go see them and try them on--the fit is very important if you have a long commute or you're carrying it around campus all day. If you only shoulder it for short trips, the fit is much less important. If the straps don't adjust properly for your height, the weight will ride in the wrong spot and give you back pain.

If you have to carry a whole bunch of stuff, something on wheels may be more appropriate.

Places to look at backpacks (you'll buy them elsewhere, usually online for a savings of $20-$30) are the Apple Store, Microcenter, CircuitCity, etc. I like the Wenger Synergy

Synergy Laptop Backpack by Wenger SwissGear (r) Maker of the Genuine Swiss Army Knife(tm) - Buy.com

It may be too big for you--that's why you have to go try it on in person.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 7, 2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by lisa_is_not_mac View Post
How do i add more?
You go to Apple's Support site and look for instructions! Or you go to this page which gives you the detailed instructions on how to do it. The page even has nice illustrations to help you out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules