Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "Volume Key Stuck" Symptom

"Volume Key Stuck" Symptom
lahmayes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2008, 08:08 AM

I have a MBP that's about two years old. I am running Leopard 10.5.2. When I came downstairs this morning, my volume "ghost" image was up. It showed the volume all the way down. I tried to up the volume by pressing F5, but it acted as if someone was holding down the F4 key, constantly decreasing the volume. I rebooted, and what I was greeted with was the opposite symptom. It acts as if someone is holding down the F5 key. I ended up plugging in a pair of headphones so I don't have to listen to it. I thought it might be one of the keys. So I hit them both a few times to see if I could "unstick" them, but after several reboots, I concluded it was not the keyboard. The reason for this is because I can control the volume just fine until a certain point in the boot process. About 5 or so seconds after the dock loads, the volume goes screwy. Any time before that I can adjust the volume as usual with no strange side-effects. I remember this happening about a year ago under Tiger, but I don't remember if I fixed it or if it fixed itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hal

EDIT: I just realized I probably should not have put this in a hardware forum. Feel free to move this thread if I have misplaced it.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2008, 02:54 PM

I had this problem with the brightness key. It was forcing the brightness of my Rev. A macbook pro all the way down. The key wasn't physically stuck or hard to move, so I just held down the power button, killed the machine, and turned it back on. Problem fixed itself.

I just wanted to chime in and say that it wasn't just you having the problem. No idea what caused it, tho.
17" Rev. A MBP (ATI X1600 256 MB, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.5, Parallels Build 3214)

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2008, 03:06 PM

correct me if im wrong, but it seems that the mbp has a lot of problems

have you gone into system preferences?

lahmayes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2008, 08:29 AM

Yeah I've looked around in system prefs. I don't really know what to look for. I've tried to look for the process that controls volume in activity monitor, but I haven't found it yet.

lahmayes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2008, 09:25 AM

This is kind of bazaar. Just for kicks, I tried powering off by holding in the power button, like markponcelet mentioned (as opposed to rebooting or shutting down from the system menu). This seems to have fixed the problem. Weird.

Forum Links
Forum Rules