Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ibook G4 Crisis (yikes!)

Ibook G4 Crisis (yikes!)
Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2008, 09:00 PM

Took a fall. Where on earth can I get this fixed. Anyone know a ball park price?

I already have a Macbook so I dont want to replace this. I want to fix it. By the way the screen still works. The hinges are just completely screwed.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2008, 09:22 PM

Maybe repair it with new parts from ifixit.com:

G4 12" iBook - iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2008, 09:22 PM

chipchen
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2008, 02:26 PM

luckily, it looks like it's pretty much just two parts... the clutch hinge and the LCD bezel... I mean.. i few other items might be slightly damaged... but those two parts should take care of it 90%.

The clutch hinge is like a U shape, like a field goal without the stands. it connects to the iBook at two points on the bottom of that U. Basically, it looks like it snapped on both sides right by where it's attached to the iBook main body.

The bezel obviously got tore up. a new bezel will fix that.

iFixit is a good place to start. Here's the parts:

iBook G3 or G4 14" Clutch Hinges (922-5370) - iFixit

iBook G4 12" Front Display Bezel (922-6149) - iFixit

And if you can do the work yourself, that's all it will cost. If you have someone else do it, probably about 2 hours worth of labor.

If you take it to an Apple Store, it won't be worth it. They charge by Tiers... and the cost is tier 4... which would be like $900.

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2008, 03:12 PM

That must have been some fall, if you cant get it fixed, use duct tape, it's cheaper!

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by lisa_is_not_mac View Post
That must have been some fall, if you cant get it fixed, use duct tape, it's cheaper!
yeah duct tape and stuff for that "just back from reporting in a war zone look.

war reporter chic ftw!

mahoney2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2008, 05:06 PM

I'm a bit late to this thread, but the pics look exactly what happened to my iBook 12" 1.25ghz a month or so ago. It fell off the couch and the hinge cracked in 2 pieces. I had tried duct tape, epoxy, etc. try to hold the screen in place, but it just wouldn't work.

I bought the new hinge / bezel off of ebay for $11 and did the repair myself. I followed instructions i found on the web, pbmedic i believe. It took about 4 hours,but I took it apart and put it back together with no problems. The instructions were 53 page to take it apart though, so its not for the feint of heart.

I'm currently typing on my iBook and it works perfectly. I bought 8 more shares of Apple stock instead of a new MacBook, which is up about $25 a share, so overall the $11 part and self repair saved me a ton of cash.

Forum Links
Forum Rules