Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > It can't be long now....?

It can't be long now....? (Page 4)
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 29, 2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by wickedclown213 View Post
So the next time your at your job I hope someone doesn't criticize you for how slow our work is.
If I was a year late on a project, I would gladly take the critisism that I'm slow. And if I got fired, I wouldn't be surprised. I deserved it.

Of course, I would also have explained why I'm so late all through out the year. Keeping my boss, colleagues and clients in the dark for a full year is definitely not a good way to get some sympathy.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2008, 10:22 PM

If I was twittering about useless stuff more than doing actual work, then yes, I expect to be reprimanded appropriately.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

wickedclown213
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2008, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
If I was a year late on a project, I would gladly take the critisism that I'm slow. And if I got fired, I wouldn't be surprised. I deserved it.

Of course, I would also have explained why I'm so late all through out the year. Keeping my boss, colleagues and clients in the dark for a full year is definitely not a good way to get some sympathy.
True I said it out of turn. At my job if I don't fix a server in less then an hour I have five managers up my *ss wondering what the h*ll my problem is. But you have to admit he is writing most of the code by himself so I give him the benefit of doubt that it might take sometime. But I bet it will come out with less bugs than V*sta did. And I know thats a whole os but I love takeing cracks at them every time I get a chance to. And yes I work in a Microsoft world.

Sorry if I offended anyone

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 01:46 PM

But seriously... can't be long now? Right? Right?

Feynman
Forum Regular
May 8, 2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
But seriously... can't be long now? Right? Right?
He's waiting for Mac OS 10.5.3.1

Duh

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 8, 2008, 01:43 PM

On a positive note, if there were lots of bugs with the CoreAnimation APIs, I'm sure Wil has helped Apple greatly in finding them and correcting them.

For that I am greatful to Wil.

<3 Wil...you know I mean you no bad. Your software is always awesome...I just wish more news would be brought to everyone.

anyrandomthing
May 14, 2008, 07:32 PM

any updates, deliciousterry? you said over a month ago you were putting together notes and some "last minute changes." im going to spend this money on a couple pizzas if this doesnt come out in the next couple minutes.

sCreeD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2008, 09:55 AM

I have deployed the new store (also the basis of Golden % Braeburn) and it's taking DL1 orders right now. Will watch it, then ship DL2.
Twitter / Wil Shipley: I have deployed the new sto...

anyrandomthing
May 15, 2008, 08:37 PM

Yes!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2008, 09:22 PM

Jesus is coming back SOON

-t

moep
Senior User
May 18, 2008, 04:12 AM

The first thing I'll do with DL2 is scan my copy of Duke Nukem Forever.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2008, 05:14 AM

-t

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2008, 01:49 PM

Just wondering, will the cost still be $40 when released, or is it going to be more or less???

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

balthazar_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2008, 02:11 PM

It should be $20 for people who bought DL before Dec 1, 2007, free for those who bought it after Dec 1, 2007, and $40 for new licenses.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

betaboy78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2008, 03:22 PM

$20 . . . If it is ever released. I wonder if I can win awards without actually doing things/releasing programs?

P.S. I have been given the Apple 2008 Design Award for a teleportation machine. You may buy my last version for only $40 and I will send you a key to the new one if, I mean when, I invent it. Just trust me . . . I have an honest face and I drive a brand new super expensive European Sports car. I rock.

P.P.S. All in good fun.

P.P.S. DeliciousTerry, if you are reading this you can use my soon to be invented Time Machine (future winner of the 2010 Design Award) to get DL2 from the future and bring it back to us here.

MDNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2008, 03:55 PM

Possibly...
New (DL2-enabled) store is holding up well, we're updating the DL1 website this weekend for rollout. Finally. Free at last. 12:34 AM May 18, 2008 from twitterrific
Twitter / Wil Shipley: New (DL2-enabled) store is ...

Gm7Cadd9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2008, 05:36 AM

mark my words: 10.5.3. (I know I am not the first to say it... but I might be the last to say it :-p

Wil has mentioned a few times on twitter that "now would be a good time for apple to release 10.5.3"

Clearly being a developer and member of ADC he has the latest build, and has probably built DL2 using things specific to that build. So I have no doubt it's Gold Master... but GM on 10.5.3.

So now then, when will 10.5.3 come out?

Follow the history of apple updates... we are on the verge of WWDC, and a likely iphone announcement, at the very least iphone 2.0 firmware, which will require new itunes, new quicktime... and survey says:

A SOFTWARE UPDATE

So, my prediction....

10.5.3 at WWDC... 3G iphone (same form factor and color, no GPS, no 2nd camera) iphone firmware 2.0, and Delicious Library.....

-Royboy

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2008, 10:50 AM

I'm not a developer, but could there be such a fundamental difference between 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 that you could make your own software only run on one, but not the other ?

-t

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 21, 2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm not a developer, but could there be such a fundamental difference between 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 that you could make your own software only run on one, but not the other ?

-t
Like I said earlier, there are probably some CoreAnimation bugs that have been fixed in 10.5.3 that makes DL2 only suitable for released when 10.5.3 is out.

Early adopters get all the grunt work of telling Apple how buggy their APIs are and end up spending a lot of time working with Apple to get the problems fixed. Something similar happened when Karelia was using CoreData to create Sandvox. CoreData was apparently fairly buggy.

anyrandomthing
May 21, 2008, 03:00 PM

Gm7Cadd9 is right, when he says there have been hints at this software update as a requirement, but DM/shipley has also, on multiple occasions made it seem this is not the case.

it would be nice to just have a word from DM, just 30 seconds out of their day to explain whether or not 10.5.3 is required, and thus, a few more weeks of delay.

64stang06
Mac Elite
May 21, 2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by anyrandomthing View Post
Gm7Cadd9 is right, when he says there have been hints at this software update as a requirement, but DM/shipley has also, on multiple occasions made it seem this is not the case.

it would be nice to just have a word from DM, just 30 seconds out of their day to explain whether or not 10.5.3 is required, and thus, a few more weeks of delay.
But that would take out twitter time.

balthazar_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2008, 11:58 AM

64stang06
Mac Elite
May 22, 2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by balthazar_b View Post
Funny, I get this website still touting 1.6.6:

MDNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Funny, I get this website still touting 1.6.6:
Did you read the text on that page... just the screen shots have not been updated.

Go go gadget proofreaders: graphics and screenshots are NOT done, obviously, but text needs proofers! Delicious Library 2 ...
about 17 hours ago from twitterrific

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2008, 04:39 PM

Download doesn't work.

-t

Galley99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2008, 07:43 PM

The feature list has been updated on the new page.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2008, 08:46 PM

So how many months is this piecemeal update gonna take ?

-t

64stang06
Mac Elite
May 22, 2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by MDNZ View Post
Did you read the text on that page... just the screen shots have not been updated.
I did read the page. At the time I visited and took a screenshot, the features still reflected the 1.6 release, NOT the 2.0 release. I see it's finally been changed.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2008, 10:21 PM

What is this ? A joke ?

I mean, how hard is it to finish the site update and THEN publish it.

-t

REBELinBLUE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2008, 05:48 AM

Oh come on, stop whining. That isn't suppose to be the site general visitors see, it is the new site he is working on, he is asking people to proof read it etc, of course the download isn't going to be available on a development version of the new site.

The site is not "published" until it is the site you see by going to Delicious Library

I want DL2 as much as everyone else, and am equally frustrated by the silence, but this is just moaning for the sake of moaning.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2008, 03:57 PM

So it's a Beta test of the website ?

Whatever.

What's next ? Us proof-reading Will's Twitter messages ?

-t

Kickaha
Forum Regular
May 23, 2008, 10:27 PM

Well if we *were* proof-reading them, we might have a copy of DL2 on our screens at this very moment.

Oh wait, I *do*...

Hey Terry Monster! Who do I talk to about writing a plugin for DL to connect up with one of the comics databases out there?

Galley99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2008, 12:43 AM

So far, It's OK. The auto-resizing of the object based on its actual size, is neat, but the horizontal info panel is too small. Sure, you can resize it, but then your shelf view is no more than four inches tall (on a 13" screen). There's still no field for place of purchase?

The new "Add Item" screen is pretty nice. It's great being able to add gadgets and software! I was able to upgrade for $15.
( Last edited by Galley99; May 24, 2008 at 12:55 AM. )

Kickaha
Forum Regular
May 24, 2008, 12:57 AM

Under the Help menu, you'll see 'Send Bugs and Feedback...' It's by far the best way to be heard.

So far, so good - found a couple of cosmetic bugs, impressed with the overall app, scripting, and poking around in the guts is quite a bit of fun. Looks like it's set up for adding in new media types without *too* much pain and agony. From what I can tell, it primarily needs a new panel NIB to streamline entry of comics by issue ranges, and that's pretty much it. The rest should be pretty nicely doable with some guidance from the Guy(s) In The Know.

DeliciousTerry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2008, 02:18 PM

Can't wait to get comics support in but let's wait until this thing is live for real, shall we? You'll probably go through me, and I'll annoy Wil until we get something worked out. We do have a couple users working on plug-ins, so I'll get everyone on the same page somehow. Also, I'll do some additional research, because honestly, CSE 142 and 143 aren't really cutting it at this point. =)

On a side note, has anyone had problems with the upgrade/purchasing process? We added support for all the people with NFR or MacHeist licenses, so you should be able upgrade with the rest of the class now.

Kickaha
Forum Regular
May 24, 2008, 02:33 PM

But... but... I want it nowwwwwwww...

Sounds good on the plug-in opportunities, can't wait to find out more. I have some... ideas.

Purchasing was smooth as silk.

DeliciousTerry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2008, 02:43 PM

Ideas!? Careful with those things--they're dangerous!

Sinemacula
Forum Regular
May 24, 2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Galley99 View Post
... the horizontal info panel is too small. Sure, you can resize it, but then your shelf view is no more than four inches tall (on a 13" screen).
Even on a larger screen I find I'd rather have that info panel on the side... after all, screens these days are wider than they are tall so why not use the available width? I happen to prefer tall narrow bookshelves over short wide ones.
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by DeliciousTerry View Post
Ideas!? Careful with those things--they're dangerous!
Especially those that would require OS X 10.6.8 installed

-t

tenjin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2008, 06:56 PM

Hi,

How do existing customers upgrade?

Cheers

D.

64stang06
Mac Elite
May 24, 2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
Hi,

How do existing customers upgrade?

Cheers

D.
Library-->Delicious Licensor-->Buy License.

Galley99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sinemacula View Post
Even on a larger screen I find I'd rather have that info panel on the side... after all, screens these days are wider than they are tall so why not use the available width? I happen to prefer tall narrow bookshelves over short wide ones.
Yeah, I'd prefer to have it on the side, but I ordered a 24" iMac today, so screen size will no longer be an issue.

Gm7Cadd9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2008, 02:13 AM

Well, I am sure I should "report bug/feedback" the proper way but I wanted to check in here to see if anyone was having my problem first.

It's been hard to isolate which is why I haven't reported it officially.

I was able to download, install and upgrade seamlessly, which was awesome.

I launched and started scanning all of my DVDs ( a process I had put off forever while waiting for DL2)

It worked like a dream, scanning was much better and faster with more accurate lookup.

It worked super fast and easy for about 4 hours consistently, then at SOlME point I dont know what happened (I am looking for a corrupt item or anything) but I can't keep the app open and working for more than 2 minutes before it hangs... and it HANGS hard, force quit takes a good 20 seconds or more. Relaunch with the same troubles, repair permissions, reboot, all that fun stuff... same problems.

SO, is this because of the amount of items I have (under 400 by the way)? or a corrupt item? (I tried deleting a bunch of stuff... same thing happens).

I tried a few things to troubleshoot including:

not subscribing to itunes

turning off all animations

making lists small

Like I said, when it works, it's amazing. When it hangs it doesn't crash, it just hangs... and is inconsistent what causes it to hang each time. Sometimes it's an item lookup, sometimes it's adding a shelf, or item, or friend. Everything works....just not consistently... which really sucks because everything DID work for a while.

thanks, looking forward to everyone else's experiences.

-Roy

REBELinBLUE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2008, 05:12 AM

I am being really stupid, where is everyone getting it from?

<edit> never mind, just saw the topic

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 27, 2008, 01:16 AM

Ok it is officially out now.

Not sure I can explain what is going on with Leopard though as I don't remember it being that big.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2008, 02:10 AM

-t

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 27, 2008, 10:16 AM

I have to say I am disappointed by the iPhone website rendering off the DL library. The right 20% of the screen is used for a wood grain background and not to make the titles bigger and easier to read. The buttons are also rather small and it doesn't take on the typical iPhone side wiping interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules